Other Rides Rides other than motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Korrupt Help A Clueless Guy Out!

Korrupt I think you have specific experience with the Red top SR20DET. Looking at an S-15 with one of these motors already in it. But it has a blown Head Gasket. MIGHT be picking this up as a project vehicle..

Also Korrupt... You said the drivelines were a stronger in the S13's... Lets say this motor is tuned moderately to 250hp 220 ft lbs ... this really doesn't seem like that much power... with a stock drive train would this last? Just plan on a weekend cruiser hit the track a few times for fun nothing serious...

your thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by STONE; 12-05-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

How much for a motor rebuild?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Ok this will be my help me learn somethign thread....

Is an RB20DET from a Skyline a good motor? Im not looking for a HP monster from a little japanese motor I want something that COULD be a daily driver but has a little pep to it. My s2000 with 200hp was fine so if I had 250hp I would be more than happy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:26 PM
just a user

Send a message via MSN to korrupt1 Send a message via Yahoo to korrupt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
Ok this will be my help me learn somethign thread....

Is an RB20DET from a Skyline a good motor? Im not looking for a HP monster from a little japanese motor I want something that COULD be a daily driver but has a little pep to it. My s2000 with 200hp was fine so if I had 250hp I would be more than happy.
oooooooooohhhhhh

Skyline.........<licking lips here>

yaa the skyline is a highky regarded piece from Japan....very nice cars.

Little known fact by most 'muricans......the japanese have a had a GTO car for years and its everybit revered as our redblooded GTO of yore.....and these GTO cars did finally make it to our shores....although under the disguise name of mitsubishi 3000GT.....heck they even named a few the dodge stealth as I recall

ok lets get back on the topics here.

Head gasket...had bad blown is it? I am sure you know to look for the choclate milkshake on dipstick if it was blown and contniued to be driven like so.....rather than rebuild a new motor would be easier I thinks to slide another motor in and keep this motor to build in the spare time for your "killa" engine.

the RB20det (the T makes it a turbo motor if memory serves)is a good motor...very tuff.....but get to know your asian importer of engines and such as thats likely to be the only way to get parts unless straight ordered from Japan (this is not a bad thing and you get "in" with a very tight group of people where somewhere along the line somebody will drop the "I got that piece at home...want it?" deals........like I said...having to go to a specialty type shop aint always bad)

so which car/motor is your looking at?

I see you had posted about a s15(a later model) with the sr20det....or does this same car have the RB engine in it?) I gonna have to study up on the RB again....lucky me I happen to have a guy at my work who is very into drift racing....owns multiple 240's....every one is a s13 chassis for him. Ill ask him why....but I believe its the strength in the drivetrain there.

the s15 cars should hold 250HP easily enough I believe....I cant say for certain if I would go looking for 400 in that setup but I will go hunting around and find out what makes a bulletproof drivetrain and post here and naturally link it for better reference

tell me the detailed info on these cars that you can get and lets start there and build you a plan of attack (this is how I go about building cars...gameplan and follow through) and make damn sure...you gonna kill em out there he he he

and I will start looking first thing tomorrow bro

I will also see what info and sites I can snag from my guy at work and what he suggests too cool?

Last edited by korrupt1; 12-05-2005 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
just a user

also....aint nuthing wrong with having a super HP motor and driving daily.....pick the times to let people know whats under the hood.....but thats my evil driving side speaking there

in my last civic.....the 02 model.....I liked the look of the civic over the integra...but the rsx/integra had the badder engine.....should be no problem right? I found out that very day I bought the thing....WRONG!!!! the civic used a newer variant of their "D" series motors and the RSX was using a different engine ENTIRELY....wll damn...what to do huh?

yea....you guess....complete new subframe in the nose.....to mount the motor I wanted in the car I wanted.....and nobody knew it at first....subtle little things....like when you opened the hood it looked like....well a honda engiine....I had anything resembling Acura taken out and replaced with anything Honda I could scrounge my hands on or just had the metal bits shaved off the names and polished....but one real astute person one day said...."hey.....your cam drives are on the wrong side for this car" bwahahahahaha

I liked that guy he was funny....and from there on....I didnt slouch my races times no more...(i was slipping my clutch in the end to control timeslip---I wasnt very good at this as I was pure beginner... :/ )

your making me miss my cars again man....wonder if I could slide a supercharger in the olds? hmmmm.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

OK there are a few S14's I found with the SR20 motors in them.. One has a blown head gasket, one has a thrown rod.. both are cheap enough to consider even without the motors.. although I wold guess these cars have been driven hard so im leaning away from them.

there is one S15 with the RB motor from a skyline in it... its reasonably priced... and low miles so I am considering it.

IM also looking at a few "show" cars that look to have been babied and just have the stock motors.. then I would look for a SR20 or something then work on it a little while its out then pop it in when I can.

I think the show car idea is appealing becuase they haven't been hammered on (probably) and look good . SO I could probably get away with (at first) a good suspension set up along with the motor and have a decent car... then go from there..

what do you think? I know im being a rookie by being only into the s14/15 but I just cant get over the look of the s13 It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM
just a user

lemme find you a few "fixed" s13's...........may change your mind

I would think the showy type cars would more likely be hammered on quite a bit less. The one with the thrown rod...walk away from you know thats finished....a blown gasket may be just that and easily repairable and get a few months out of too.

you liking the fixed looking headllights on the s14/15's more?

keep in mind if yu wann drift em now and then....notchback is the way to go...not a hatch.....those things wiggle around too much and wouldnt want to see stress cracks piling up.....

(had friend...early 80s corolla...no springs...yea...cracked frame...thats was fun for him I am sure :laugh)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

well since you have the hookups I'm happy to see what you you're thinking. Im not going to jump into this unless I find a really good deal but Im interested as I've always wanted a car I can screw around wtih.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

The Engine

The R32 GT-R uses the newly introduced RB26DETT engine, a DOHC inline-6 with 24-valves and a six-throttle inlet manifold. A bore of 86mm in connection with a stroke of 73.7mm make for an overall displacement of 2568cc. A compression ratio of 8.5:1, twin T28 Garrett turbochargers and a large front-mounted intercooler help the RB26DETT produce 280hp at 6800rpm and 360Nm (260lb-ft) of torque at 4400rpm.

A compression ratio of 8.5:1, twin T28 Garrett turbochargers and a large front-mounted intercooler help the RB26DETT produce 280hp at 6800rpm and 360Nm (260lb-ft) of torque at 4400rpm. But actually this engine was directly designed for use in Japanese Group A racing, and tuned derivatives have proven to reliably run with over 550hp without need-ing any internal changes - so look at the tuning-part to really see what this engine is capable of.

This would be fun to have in a 240sx!!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

Be careful buying a car with a blown headgasket. You may run into some serious hidden issues without knowing it.

Given a choice between an engine with a thrown rod, and a blown headgasket, I'd take the car with a thrown rod if the block wasn't damaged.

Not always will you run into issues with either engine scenario. But, not always does a thrown rod mean the engine's been hammered to shit either. It could easily be nothing more than a spun bearing that's gotten a little loose.

Problem with a blown headgasket is that by the time most people realize they have a headgasket issue, it could very easily be to late. It depends on what kind of leak it is as well. There's at least three kinds of headgasket leaks you can have:

1) External only - Coolant is leaking externally, but not into any other part of the engine internally. Oil passages can do this as well.

2) Internal (combustion chamber) - coolant gets into combustion chamber. Once it gets bad enough, too much coolant gets into oil and turns it milky white like Kor mentioned. Usually, if it's caught early enough, you can salvage the engine with just a headgasket replacement. Worst case scenario, all the bearings are shot and you also need to replace the crankshaft and camshaft. Pull a crankshaft bearing cap to check bearings.

3) Internal (oil into coolant) - Rare, but can happen. Usually, this is from a poor designed gasket that fails between the oil passage and coolant ports.

As to why I said I'd take the engine with the thrown rod. I know I've got to dig into the lower end of the engine, so I'm already prepared for knowing something might be wrong. With a headgasket issue, you can get into some really nasty surpises.

Little off the subject of headgaskets, but years ago when I was wrenching professionally I bought an '86 Olds Delta 88 (FWD) with a 3.8L V6 engine. That generation of 3.8 was known for having timing chain issues. When they went out, it usually took the valves out with it because of it being an interferance motor (valves and piston occupy same space, but at different times).

This necessitates removing the top half of the engine to replace the valves. I pulled the front head, and knew I needed to yank the whole engine right away. Before I even turned the head over to look at the valves, I saw the cylinder was worn into an oblong shape.

Luckily, I was able to get the block bored. Turned out the machinist needed to take it to the max allowed (I think .030 over) to get it round again. A $200 repair turned into a $1,500 repair. This was with my doing the work myself, and parts at a discount.

Projects are fun, but if you don't have the time, money or resources to do the job right it's not worth getting into. I've got an early 70's Olds 350 engine and tranny sitting in my garage right now. I've had it for over 10 years with the intent to put it into a restored car, but haven't had the resources to work on it so it's just sat. I'll probably put it up for sale in the next couple of months to free up space, as I don't see myself working on it any time soon.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 AM
just a user

yeap....I did the same with my el camino.....went through the engine through and through and had trusted people do the machining and such....engine back together and it ran once before cracking 3 rings (which I had just replaced with the rebuild)

I still personally choose the blown head gasket if I can look into the car at all. Having had a early 70s impala with a 400 in it and a smoked rod....it sucked to work on and turned out the whole thing was shot so I have had nad experiences in the past regarding this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

you guys thanks a lot for the help. I really think after seeing more pictures of these cars I am leaning toward 2 "show cars" they are pretty lame in that they have body kits, performance suspension but the motor is like STOCK STOCK STOCK.. oh with an exhaust..

I dont want to have to rebuild EVERYTHING so I think this way I can get a running vehicle that looks nice has a nice interior and then immediatly start saving and ordering a sweet motor and drive train..

Maybe im off base but does this seem reasonable? I know you can never know for sure but I think my chances of getting a more reliable, less beat to hell car are higher if I get someones show car with a little 150hp motor instead of someones track monster with 400hp.

Jimmy, I've been looking at motor swaps the motors are less than I thought, the honda forum guys were tlaking $8000 to swap a motor but the SR20 motors are about $1200 it cant be $5k just to put it in can it? cuase thats just ridiculous. I'll just get an Rx-7. even an RB25DETT the skyline twin turbo motor can be found for just over $2k

stupid cars and bikes its addicting.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:18 PM
just a user

yea usually you can pick up a good used JDM (japanese domestic market) enigine right around a couple of G's....$1200 is a exceptional price....bear in mind they are used engines as for in Japan its cheaper for them to replace the motor every few thousand kilometers...they have some law that states they can only use the engine for so much then replace (cheaper) or do some heavy inspection or something like that.

8k? for a engine swap????? . they must be doing what I was doing with the 02 cuz thats about what it was gonna cost me in total. sounds exspensive to me in that regard

I bet it could be done cheaper....alot cheaper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode