Other Rides Rides other than motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Kent, Mike, Jimmy car guys, damaged motor question

Guys,
I found a very nice S2000 with low miles for an awesome price.. Clear title, nice suspension upgrades, exhaust, etc. BUT!..... the guy said "his buddy" (its always the friend) didn't tighten the oil filter all the way and it was driven for a day with low oil and it "fried a piston ring"... The car still runs but what is involved in fixing this?? new pistons,rings, honing the cylinders or am I looking at a new motor? If the motor still runs it cant be THAT bad right? (If I sound like a rookie I am, My dad and I had my XR75 bored out and thats it the only experience I have with cylinder work)

The price is good enough that im still considering it even if I need to spend a couple thousand to put a whole new motor in...

LMK guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:11 AM

Ok only had 1 car under my experience that has run with low / no oil pressure for 10 seconds, an old chrysler lebaron that oil pump belt busted and therefore had no oil pressure... the light came on... car was immediately pulled to the side of the road and shut off... it was still under warently... they checked the engine out said it ran fine and replaced the belts... my father can vouche for the fact that we have never seen a car with SO MANY engine problems after that... parts just kept going and going and going... It could be crappy engine to begin with (i think at the time it was a mitsubishi in them)... but I myself tend to avoid any performance engine that has had no oil pressure because of this incident... sorry i'm not much help it was just one incident and not sure if it was actually the cause of all the other premature failures in the engine.

I'm just a newb, please go easy on me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Sportbiker thanks man... I'm just looking into getting it fixed.. if its under $1000 it would be worth to give it a shot and drive it until it breaks then get a used motor off ebay for a couple thousand dollars... This really is a nice car for the price.. with or without motor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 AM
just a user

Send a message via MSN to korrupt1 Send a message via Yahoo to korrupt1
Sportbiker....lebarons were always crap...sorry man but those were some god horrendous POS's..............god parents....no less than 5 trannys...LEMON LAW...good bye POS

as far as the S2000 is concerned...I would be a touch worried that if it ran hard without oil....how messed up could th rod bearings be? Rod knock could come on pretty easy here depending on time...and them bearings aint all that big so even a slight warp in that could damage the block...meaning a costly repair bill....I look at it like this stone...you bore and hone the cylinders....magnaflux the block to insure against leaks....new pistons and rings...have engine put back together...run for a bit...then whamo!!! the carnk that had no oil up on it was warped and is constantly chewing into the side of the motor (a fragile enviroment believe it or not)

if its cheap enough...grab the car...keep what parts (bolt on) that you would want...get a NEW engine....I would be very scared of the "ran without oil for only a few minutes"...........heck...a few seconds is damaging.

if the price is right on the car and has the options you want...is ot cheaper than say buying anohter with less stuff but more miles?

thats the decision you gotta weigh out...but it sounds lik the car ITSELF aint all bad...but I think that motor is trashed..better to start anew
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 AM
just a user

and dont ask what the hell I am doing up in he middle of the freaking nite!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 AM
What's that smell?

If it lost enough oil that it damaged a piston ring there amost a guarantee that there is other damage in there. Usuially a loss of oil is going to hurt the engine bearings, most likely the rod bearings, way before a ring is damaged. In fact I've never heard of a ring being damaged by low oil unless the rest of the engine has a melt down. Rings and ring lands are usually damaged by detenation or lean mixtures. Sounds like they tried to do some "tweeking" by modifing the computer and screwed thing up instead. Add the price of the car, plus the price of a new engine, plus the price of installation, plus a good custom tune to fix what ever they did and double the total (it will get there). If all this adds up to less than what you want to pay, might be worth trying. If its more, walk away. Remember the loss in resale value because it has a rebuilt engine, could be substantial.

05 R1 The fast one- Raven
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM
What's that smell?

And don't ask me why the h3ll I'm up in the middle of the night either!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Its a 2001 with 45k $10k. Even with a $3000 motor its WELL worth it.. The rest of the car looks really good. Not my style as its more showy than go-y but Its easy to take parts off and sell them. Just dumb stuff like an UGLY Veilside front bumper and big subwoofers and amp in the back... just stuff (imo) that doesn't belong in a sports car.

But it has nice tein Coil overs underbrace, F/R strut braces, AEM CAI, HKS Exhaust, Sparco Seats..

Just something to look into I think... Trying to do something that isn't a good idea... Buy a nice car without a lot of money... HAHA.

WOuld anything be salvagable off this motor and worth anything? I know the valve covers go for like $300 on ebay but what about any of the motor parts? WOuld I be able to tell how good the head was once I took it apart? Sorry im such a newb at this but im trying to learn, I read as much as I can about this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:32 AM
What's that smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcmuffinboi
Sportbiker thanks man... I'm just looking into getting it fixed.. if its under $1000 it would be worth to give it a shot and drive it until it breaks then get a used motor off ebay for a couple thousand dollars... This really is a nice car for the price.. with or without motor...
With a bad ring it will never pass emission testing to get it licensed in Ut.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:34 AM
What's that smell?

Is it new enough to still be covered by the factory warranty? -- Gee, it just started running funny. I have no idea why?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Thanks guys... dammit I didn't even think about installation... but 2001s with 50k miles are going for about 16... A salvaged title 2001 went for $13k on s2ki just the other day...

Hmm I'll think about it.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Mike.
No emissions testing in Summit county

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Dont know about warranty... I could get a warranty though im sure through my credit union.. they always off them they are about $1500.... That might be a good idea... "hmm the car seems to be running funny" But it might tip them off if I have always turned down the warranties and all of a sudden im calling to ask if they offer them on this car...

I'll look into it.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

But then again.. This is going to end up being a $15k project.. I should just stick with the SC400 im looking at $5k out the door a car that drives with a relatively low mileage motor... and just bolt stuff to it as I go....

Dammit I loved my S2000

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Stupid motorcycles taking all the priority.....

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 AM
just a user

Quote:
Stupid motorcycles taking all the priority.....
just imagine if it was your bike without oil...how much damage would that cause?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:56 AM
What's that smell?

Quote:
WOuld anything be salvagable off this motor and worth anything? I know the valve covers go for like $300 on ebay but what about any of the motor parts? WOuld I be able to tell how good the head was once I took it apart? Sorry im such a newb at this but im trying to learn, I read as much as I can about this.
The head may not be damaged. If you bought it, here's what I would do. Pull the engine completly apart and see what's wrong. It may be a cheap simple fix (ring set) but I would plan on a complex expensive fix (crankshaft and rods). If it's not worth fixing, sell all the good parts and buy new engine.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:59 AM
What's that smell?

Quote:
But then again.. This is going to end up being a $15k project.. I should just stick with the SC400 im looking at $5k out the door a car that drives with a relatively low mileage motor... and just bolt stuff to it as I go....

Dammit I loved my S2000
What happened to your S2000? I think you should look into a SC Mustang Cobra:

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:42 AM
we meat again

If it's a clear title, then the motor should still be under warranty... cause the motor should have a 5-years/100,000km warranty on it... the motor's warranty is separate from the bumper-to-bumper one... anyway, call any Honda dealer and ask them to make sure...

About the piston ring, from my experience, a ring failure while the engine is operating can result damaging other engine parts... I hope the guy don't drive the car anymore, cause the engine can fail on him anytime... if he hasn't drove it after the ring has fried, then you might get away with minimal damage and just need to replace the ring or maybe a cyclinder...

If you say you can find a decent engine for $3000 and it's still a good deal, then go for it... but for sure, like Farmer-Ted said, I would pay someone to open up this engine and see what need to be fixed first...

:corn

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS RACING

Mike,
I sold it because I had a following too closely ticket conviction and insurance NAILED me for it. So I had to sell the S2000 and bought a boring GMC Envoy not a bad car but not exactly fun to drive... So now im looking at older model Japanese cars in hopes of purchasing one outright (no financing = no full coverage insurance) then kind of tinkering with it. A mustang would be fun but I really cant afford $20-$30k car without financing lol. So im looking at Nissan 240sx, Lexus SC 3/400. Not bad cars with a lot of potential to modify. The lexus doesn't have as many body kits and stuff made for it but suspension wise supra parts bolt rght on and it will directly accept supra motors which are SUPER popular and easily available. So thats endless possibilities there.... I could make a 900hp car if I wanted to...

I think I'll just end up going with the lexus there is on locally that is a great deal and I think its the best way for me to go right now.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode