Other Rides Rides other than motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Do racecars have slipper clutches?

Never thought about this until a couple weeks ago we were watching a car race in between ours and a few of the cars were downshifting coming into turn 1 and it really sounded like they had a slipper clutch. some would come in and pop chirp the tires from engine breaking but some would almost just coast in.

Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
Never thought about this until a couple weeks ago we were watching a car race in between ours and a few of the cars were downshifting coming into turn 1 and it really sounded like they had a slipper clutch. some would come in and pop chirp the tires from engine breaking but some would almost just coast in.

Just curious.
What type of race car are you referring to?

I have never heard of a race car having them but I know many automatic trans. race cars have what's called Stall converters.... which disengage the clutch (if you will) until a certain high RPM.. This pretty much works the same way a slipper clutch works.

Most race cars that I have been around actually use the engine braking to help them slow down.... unlike a bike, where you don't want the rear wheel to slide out under engine braking, they actually need it.

Just my .02 lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

here is one. dont know what to call these. there were camaros, corvettes and mustangs most of them were tubular frames and just a race body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.jpg (158.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:51 PM

For cars, they use something called "LSD" (limited slip differential)...

Most passenger cars doesn't come with one though, it's a popular performance upgrade for track and drag use...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
For cars, they use something called "LSD" (limited slip differential)...

Most passenger cars doesn't come with one though, it's a popular performance upgrade for track and drag use...

There's also (limited slip differential) LSD's for front diff's and center diff's if your AWD (all wheel drive) :
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

but aren't LSDs just limiting the slippage on the outside wheel so when you launch both are spinning? I didn' tknow they controlled back torque.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
but aren't LSDs just limiting the slippage on the outside wheel so when you launch both are spinning? I didn' tknow they controlled back torque.
Yes all they do is limit the lock up between the two wheels....

It's not very comparative to a slipper clutch at all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Yes all they do is limit the lock up between the two wheels....

It's not very comparative to a slipper clutch at all.
:imwst

I was just stating that cuz val stated it
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Just curious.
I think that'd be more technique than mechanical, prob heel toe method to match gear rpm's with eng rpm.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM

<- Stone
<- R1LOVER
<- DSMPILOT

Did you guys actually read the link I posted?

There are 2 types of LSD for cars... one of them is called the "clutch type"... it's not "exactly" the same as a slipper clutch... well, you get my point...

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
<- Stone
<- R1LOVER
<- DSMPILOT

Did you guys actually read the link I posted?

There are 2 types of LSD... the "mechanical type" is also known as the "clutch type"...

I don't have to read it Vale, I have installed a few of them myself, when I was younger and still in school, I used to work at a shop that built custom race cars and street rods....

A limited slip differental has nothing to do with a slipper clutch in a bike.... It's for a different purpose all together.

You are correct though, there are a couple of different types of limited slip differentals..... one is a clutch type but it only releases the lock up under extreme conditions between the two wheels on the same axle. There are a couple of other types as well.... one of the mot popular around here is called "Auburn Gear" They have there own "type of slipping system"

anyway..... : :1poke

|
|
|
|
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Btw... I edited my post...

The idea is the same thing... which it's to prevent wheel lockup...

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Btw... I edited my post...

The idea is the same thing... which it's to prevent wheel lockup...

Yes that it correct, but............... it to prevent the "lockup of the two wheels on one axle" not the lock up of the tire to the ground.

I'm going to go get my Engrish book so I can explain :1poke

lmao j/k bro........... I'm done poking fun...

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Well... if you think about it, two wheels don't lockup in cars will prevent the wheels from spinning, this is why you see drag cars use LSD also... and bikes only have a single wheel at the back...

:1poke
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
I haven't heard of slippers being used in this aspect, maybe it was a sequential gearbox. Not that it may not occur, I've just never heard of it.

In Australia, we have a 1,000 kilometer race called at the moment SUPERCHEAPAUTO1000 at Mt Panorama in Bathurst, NSW. It wasn't a slipper clutch as such, but cars got banned from using lock-up clutches (generally used in dragracing, I had them in my dragbikes) to get a good launch and get the horsepower to the ground (and they use counter weights which lock up using rear wheel / drive train rpm).

Slider clutches which are used in fuel bikes/ race cars and some of the smaller classes, which are based on engine rpm and counterweights to lock up.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Well... if you think about it, two wheels don't lockup in cars will prevent the wheels from spinning, this is why you see drag cars use LSD also... and bikes only have a single wheel at the back...

Actually almost all drag cars are locked up rear ends.... lol

The only reason for the slipping the axle is when they are turning and one wheel is rotating more than the other.... When the wheels are locked up, it will then wear out the gears or break the axle.

The only reason for a limited slip axle is so you don't break the axle or differental when turning...

:1poke.. you keep asking... so I keep telling.... :1poke

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Also, not sure if you guys remember those first articles about slipper clutch finally comes on a street bikes when Kawi released that on the ZX-10R? A few of those editors has written things like "having a slipper clutch IS LIKE having a LSD"...

:
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM
No Crying Allowed

I might also add I'm running a limited slip differental in my Avalanche.... lol it's an "auburn gear" unit that I referred to above.

and believe me there is no reduction in engine braking...

|
|
|
|
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
Actually almost all drag cars are locked up rear ends.... lol

The only reason for the slipping the axle is when they are turning and one wheel is rotating more than the other.... When the wheels are locked up, it will then wear out the gears or break the axle.

The only reason for a limited slip axle is so you don't break the axle or differental when turning...

:1poke.. you keep asking... so I keep telling.... :1poke
Turst me, I know how a LSD works...

For sure you still see lockups in drag cars even with LSD, cause it's based on the torque ratio of the LSD... there are adjustable LSDs and you can adjust it to a point that it doesn't act like LSD anymore...

And bikes only has one wheel at the back... so no point of using a LSD...

I'm not saying they're the "exact" same component, but the principal is the same, it's to get more usable power to the ground and more controllable...

:
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:

A lot of the bigger horsepower race cars have gone away from LSD and to a locked (Full & Mini Spools eg: http://www.chrismans.com/SlipDiff.html) diffierential setup with a slider/mulit stage lock-up clutch. May not be as much fun to try and turn, but in dragracing you're only going straight most of the time, well you hope you are :jimmie . LSD's for that matter can also be horsepower robbing.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM

Last edited by Warp Racer; 08-30-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode