Other Rides Rides other than motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

My next car

Behold the 2007 Smart ForTwo (to be officially unveiled this week, pics leaked yesterday).

It's 7" longer than the current generation, but even at 106" it'll still share one car space with 4-5 bikes in my garage.

The convertable is clearly gay; like the rest of them convertables. I don't see much difference between convertable Vette in macho black and pink Beetle. But the hard top is OK and I'd even say good looking. The US will also get some performance version most likely under Brabus badge. That's what I'm hoping to get when they become available here in early 2008.

For those who know nothing about that little car it
1) was crash-tested numerous times with very good results
2) capable of freeway speeds I believe up to 90mph
3) 0-60 under 10 seconds (let's wait for official numbers later this week)

If it's not enough for you, one of the most popular mods is putting a literbike motor in it: R1 or Gixxer 1K.

Last edited by bad-mofo; 11-09-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Ta Moko

COOL Alex, I want one two

you got drive it out monte one day and I can meet you for lunch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
With a 100MPH wind pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-mofo View Post
capable of freeway speeds I believe up to 90mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. I'm not crazy about that particular car, though I'd pay serious $$$ to get Toyota Endo. And when I first saw them in Germany in 1999 I was thinking the same thing: WTF. But since then it grew up on me.

Unless you're a multi-millionaire you can't win that race. You buy an M3 and your neighbor has an NSX. So then you mobilize all your home equity and get a Gallardo only to find Carrera GT in your neighbors driveway. You simply can't chase your dream and don't need to as it'd never compare to sportbikes.

I feel like I'm slowly killing my M3 with daily freeway commute. Though it feels good to drift residential 90-degree corners honestly I don't need that level of performance for a daily commuter. I ride my bike half of the time and plan to ride it more. So the car is only left for rainy days or grocery trips. Do you really need to "enjoy" driving on a rainy day? I hope you don't feel that urge.

So why not completely turn around and buy the minimal cage you can find. Something that is barely larger than a bike yet has a roof, trunk, and safety cage. And can be left at the mall parking for hours not worrying two cholos would pick it up and throw into a white van. Well there is a risk of thugs putting such cute car on the side, something to think about if you park it on some college campus.

Otherwise it has everything another car has: four-wheel stability, roof, and cargo space for groceries.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 PM

Lol those are cool cars
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Resident Redneck

You have to buy what's best for you and your family.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Official info and pics. Oh the joy... Only year and a half to wait.

The interior doesn't look too bad provided it's normal color: black. Though those silly gauges would have to go. The length is 2695 мм which is 106" (I'll correct my first post). The engine is one liter instead of the 600cc. There are actually three gas engines: 61hp, 71hp and 84hp. The top speed is restricted at 145kmh (90mph I guessed it right).

Last edited by bad-mofo; 11-09-2006 at 11:30 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
thats pretty coo but ill stick to my american muscle sport cars
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Resident Redneck

I could not agree with you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
:imwst X2
Let's save the hockey stripe paint scheme for the Gran Torino and is smart really smart?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

That video is old. I saw it. Of course you sacrifice some passive safety driving that car. Many people rely on that (passive safety) Smart is not for everyone. I ride a bike so obviously I rely on active defensive (to the point of being offensive) driving rather that passive protective cage.

Also as you saw in that video the living capsula was mostly intact and both dummies survived. The crew was able to open the doors without any tools. The new gen has airbags all over plus ABS and stability control standard. Not to mention they revised the structure. Bringing that car in the US is a big deal. New materials and technology bring it to the next level as well.

But in short I simply don't give a shit. Call it ignorant, but I'm not planning on getting into collisions (I don't like the word "accident"). Let's leave those worries to clumsy SUVers.

EDIT:
If you want all-American rollover crash story here it is:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...384/1148/rss25
It doesn't get any better. First clumsy cagers blamed it on Firestone tires, now they sue the manufacturer for SUV's high center of gravity. I wanted to feel compassion reading that article but I couldn't. "Less than perfect drivers" (let's use this politically correct term) would blame anyone but themselves and require the car to magically correct their deadly mistakes.

/off the soap box, sorry for the rant.

Last edited by bad-mofo; 11-09-2006 at 11:00 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-mofo View Post
That video is old. I saw it. Of course you sacrifice some passive safety driving that car. Many people rely on that (passive safety) Smart is not for everyone. I ride a bike so obviously I rely on active safety rather that passive protective cage. Also as you saw the living capsula was mostly intact and both dummies survived. The crew was able to open the door without any tools. The new gen has airbags all over plus ABS and stability control standard. Not to mention they revised the structure. Bringing that car in the US is a big deal. New materials and technology bring it to teh next level as well.

But in short I simply don't give a shit. Call it ignorant, but I'm not planning on getting into collisions (I don't like the word "accident"). Let's leave those worries to clumsy SUVers.
True.... I'd probably drive one, but i'd be scared Maybe if it had a turbo busa motor in it, i'd feel safer.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT View Post
True.... I'd probably drive one, but i'd be scared Maybe if it had a turbo busa motor in it, i'd feel safer.
Would you settle on a Gixxer-1000?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 PM
7c Forever

omg, I'm not even gonna start ont he firestone thing. Like as if it's the tires fault that you rolled over by reefing on the steering, or that you didn't leave enough stopping space 'cause you where talking to your kids and eating breakfast while driving them to school.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

More official hi-res pics:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/10/o...ding-interior/

Not bad, but I'm sure that car will get cult aftermarket following just like Mini. So if anyone would wanna make it look (and perform) serious he(she)'d have lots of options.

Interior looks better already without "alien eyes". Though it's still a little goofy, so I'd also change the factory radio for some Nav or touchscreen car PC.

Here's the link to TopGear crash video. Amazing: 70mph and the living capsula still intact. However as they noted rapid deceleration would be lethal for human body IN ANY CAR.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/10/t...t-crash-video/

Last edited by bad-mofo; 11-10-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode