Other Rides Rides other than motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Any serious car customizers here?

I have a project in mind: Volvocamino V50

Basically all it needs to accomodate a sportbike is:
1) converting the rear hatch into a door (opening sideways)
2) sliding roof: either made of fabric or more expensive setup like GMC Envoy had.
3) some sort of racing roll cage inside to compensate for the lost rigidity due to the cut roof

How much a project like that can run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
7c Forever

I know a guy that does work like that, off the top of the head, you're into atleast 15 grand, minimum.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

$15K is not too bad. I'm just wondering if it's possible w/o compromizing the car's structure. I'm not a Volvo safety dork, but rather concerned with handling. I wouldn't mind doing some engine and suspension mods to make it feel like a Bimmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
7c Forever

it can be done forsure, just that there's a pricetag attatched to it is all.

definatly one of the strangest idea's I've ever heard of.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, there are no modern El Caminos on the horizon; overpriced SSR and fugly Baja don't count. Sliding Envoy's roof was the right idea, but on something smaller, more refined and civilized like a Euro wagon. Little Volvos are my favorite cars out of everything sold in the US currently I mean in their class coz obviously Lamborghinis are nicer.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 PM
7c Forever

avalanche is kinda elcaminoesque.

it'd be hella easier to stuff a modern driveline into an elcamino than to take a modern car and make it an elcamino.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
avalanche is kinda elcaminoesque.

it'd be hella easier to stuff a modern driveline into an elcamino than to take a modern car and make it an elcamino.
Avalanche is one of the fugliest vehicles on Earth

You prolly meant something like this?

The car looks great too.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Ta Moko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-mofo View Post
Avalanche is one of the fugliest vehicles on Earth

You prolly meant something like this?

The car looks great too.
I don't see a car

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 PM
7c Forever

I see a girl that stands 4'8 and weighs 50lbs. not really usefull, I'd be afraid to break her.

yea, avalanche aint pretty, but it's awfull cheap compared to what you're thinking of, and offers the same functionality, or more, can run on E85 to boot.

I dunno man, farbeit for me of all people to say "no, you can't do that project, it's to much" I'm just saying that it's a luxury item. You can set something up to do the same job for less money. If it's just prestige you're after, then ya, that's doable.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

It's not prestige. I wanna have a modern car that handles well on weekdays and has open cargo bed on weekends. I like the looks of SSR but it's a two-seater to begin with. Wanna have at least three so the whole family can have dirt-biking trips. Technically a minivan like Sienna would accomodate a sportbike especially with the handicapped ramp. Though it'd handle like a minivan. Saw pictures ob bikes nside Honda Element but it's so goddamn ugly. So I'm toying with the idea of converting a nice (yes, luxury) wagon into a toy hauler. I'd prolly never do it. It's just the recent Moto-tote mishap got me thinking. I hate trailers and don't have space to store it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM
7c Forever

yea trailers suck, but for me they have always just kinda been a fact of life. can only fit 1 toy in the box of the truck, if you wanna take more than that you drive with a trailer, period.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't see it as being reasonable, for what you're talking about spending, you can get a nice family luxury car, and a beater cube van both.

But hey man, like I said, I've definatly attempted crazier things, it's just that to me, clarity of design is the most paramount thing, period, all my projects have known right from square one EXACTLY what they where being built for.

it's a cool idea, I just am not real clear on the "why" strikes me that rather than having the best of both, you'll end up with the worst of both, instead of a jack of all trades, you'll end up with a master of none.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM

Keep the volvo then buy a van. dont chop that thing up its value will be -$20 when you're done with it.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
if you did it all yourself and had all the right tools and access to a good junk yard it might not be that expensive , other than that ...its gonna cost a pretty penny, labor is a BITCH!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
just trade it in for a pickup!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Master of Sergeants

or get a trailer ( not trryin to Whore it up...just keep gettin theses ideas as I hit Post !)

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:23 PM

Yeah I think the trailer would be the best idea, Try the folding harbor freight trailer so you cah fold it out of the way when you are not using it and the Volvo wll pull it and the bike just fine
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Ta Moko

Alex had a fold up trailer I think, he just don't want to tow one.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I had a trailer, not a folding one, but the smallest (and cheapest) one. And I stored it vertically. Not having a trailer makes space for the fourth bike in my garage (with two cars still in it). Now you udnerstand why I want a microcar (Smart) as my daily driver. I refuse to store any of my vehicles outside. even a trailer. I don't have that Volvo, that's just my favorite wagon. That little trailer was fine and I passed Bimmers with it at 120mph over DY on my way to Pahrump. But it generally hard to drive with a trailer especially slice the groups of Californian lane-blockers: those who drive in groups blocking all four lanes on the freeway. I can deal with them in a regular car, but not with a trailer. Not to mention Moto-tote is way easier to load/unload than moving everything in the garage to get the trailer outside, then parking bikes and cars back since my wife won't do it. Considering I used to go to the track weekly it was a major PITA.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Ta Moko

Alex get one of these, it will hold your bike plus you and the wife can camp in it at the track

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/ca...ery.php?id=117

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
Alex get one of these, it will hold your bike plus you and the wife can camp in it at the track

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/ca...ery.php?id=117
Eventually. Theres no way to escape trailers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode