Gamerz For the posting of Games reviews and discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
we meat again

Exclamation Mind-Control Headset for Gamers

Mind-Control Headset for Gamers

Hereís an article I found over at CNET which is super interesting. Is this how we will control things in the future? Will we sit back and say ďI canít believe we used those silly and impractical MICEĒ. Full credit for the article goes to Daniel Terdiman at CNET.

Iíve just made a small orange cube disappear with my mind. No hands necessary.Iím testing out the San Francisco companyís so-called brain control interface, the latest iteration of technology it first showed off a year ago, but which, unlike last year, is now almost ready for prime time.

The idea is a blending of hardware and software: A headset that seems a little like the one from the James Cameron-written 1995 film, Strange Days, complete with a set of sensors that are built to read your brain waves.

The software then is designed to interpret those brain waves in such a way as to allow users to manipulate objects onscreen with nothing but their mind.

So thatís why Iíve come to this office in downtown San Francisco, where Iím face-to-face with this little orange cube. Itís kind of mocking me, daring me to make it disappear.

Hereís how it works: The software has several choices for actions you can take. So, taking the disappearing cube as an example, once youíre hooked up to the headset, youíre directed to run a short, six-second test, where you concentrate on doing something, anything, with your mindĖrelax, focus, whatever.

Then, once youíve completed the test, itís you against the cube. And the challenge is to see if you can reproduce what it was you were doing with your mind during the test; If so, the cube slowly disappears.

In my case, it disappeared, then came back, then disappeared again and then came back. Repeat.

They also ran me through another example, this time trying to pull the cube forward. This one was harder because the brain function I chose to do to synchronize with the challenge was more concentrated. It involved me sort of tensing up my head and imagining the act of pulling the cube forward. It didnít work very well.

But with the disappearing act, I simply relaxed my mind, with much better results.

Of course, thereís no relationship at all between brain activity that is consciously trying to ďpullĒ the cube forward and what happens. That is to say, it doesnít matter in any way what youíre doing with your mind, so long as what you do during the six-second calibration matches what you do when you try to enact the action.

So really, the software is just looking for a pattern match. Itís not all that complicated a concept, though Iím sure itís a pretty difficult engineering feat.

Emotiv has also built technology designed to read your facial expressions and emotions. So while there, I saw a demonstration where someone wearing the headset would smile, frown, smile again, and so forth. And a goofy-looking face on the monitor would repeat the expression.

For now, this is all still just in prototype phase. But Emotiv promised me that the headset would be available in time for Christmas this year, at a price of $299. Itíll come bundled with a game that is geared toward using the technology, and presumably, more games will follow. The success, I think, of this product, will be how easy it is for developers to build the technology into their games. And that, presumably, is why the product is being showcased during this weekís Game Developers Conference, here in San Francisco.

Emotiv also said that the company is working on a partnership with IBM to integrate the brain control interface technology with Big Blueís virtual worlds projects.

To be perfectly honest, I think this technology is a ways from being ready for any hard-core application. Based on what I saw, itís very interesting and even quite impressive. But I just donít know if it can improve fast enough to make a real difference in the market in the next year. Perhaps it can, and if so, that would be fantastic.

Nintendoís Wii and Guitar Hero have opened peopleís eyes to all-new interfaces, and Iím sure that this would fit into that category. But the things that have made the Wii and the Guitar Hero controller so successful is that they are easy and intuitive to use. Whether Emotivís technology is as well is something Iíd have to reserve judgment on.

Still, I was able to make that cube disappear without using my hands. And thatís something.

Source: CNET.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

§ piý forte non si puÚ . WLF viva la figa
§ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
No Crying Allowed

WOW! that might be nice for cybersex

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
WOW! that might be nice for cybersex

I'm sure Vale has already thought of that

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
whats that movie with stallone when he has sex with that girl thru cyber. She put that thing on his head
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Demolition Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode