Yamaha Yamaha Sport Bike Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha Looking To Get Back On Top With 2007 R1

By Alex Edge

According to a report in a recent issue of British weekly MCN, Yamaha plans to continue the trend of using MotoGP-derived technology in their production sportbikes. The R6 was the beneficiary this year (mainly with its drive-by-wire throttle system, developed on the YZR-M1), but rumor has it next year's R1 will receive an even greater infusion of new design ideas that the company has tested in the world's premiere racing series.

The new R1 will almost certainly feature a developement of the same drive-by-wire throttle system used on the R6; in addition, it is rumored that Yamaha will be making some changes to boost midrange power without compromising peak power production. According to MCN, the company recently filed a set of patent applications which show technology that may show up in the 2007 R1: a set of variable-length velocity stacks (like those on the limited-production MV Agusta F4 Tamburini), as well as a variable valve timing and lift system.

Using either or both of these systems could help the Yamaha engineers develop a motor with much greater midrange power than the current model. Different length velocity stacks provide optimum power at different RPM; therefore, variable length stacks allow a smoother, broader spread of power. For more information on the advantages of variable valve timing and lift, see my article from February titled 'The Sportbike Engine of the Future: Camshaft Design'.

Another rumor is that Yamaha plans to abandon the current R1's 5-valve cylinder head for a more common 4-valve setup. This is another result of MotoGP testing and racing - apparently, Yamaha tested 4- and 5-valve YZR-M1s back-to-back last year, and found the 4-valve making smoother power and more midrange.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1152769454.jpg (257.8 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:31 PM
meat popsicle

Bng!!!
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
7c Forever

I'd rather BNG's than a minor update. Means they got it right the first time, and didn't hold back on shit so that they could release it the next year and sell the same bike twice.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i hope it's very different and fixes the bottom/midrange of the current r1. i might just pick one up then...but then again...the gsxr 1k...hmmm...be interesting, that's for sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
RacerX85

I'm still holding out for Honda's GP replica.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Random Sample

no ram air?

MCN... we'll see.

post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
isnt 2008 the 10th anniversary of the R1?? thats what someone said..... i dunno.. i hope they change the damn thing already i want a new bike...
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 PM

If that is the bike.... I look forward to riding mine for another 2-3 years, or like Corey the new Gix could be in the cards....

My mods are ghey...
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 PM

I think regardless of what it looks like its going to be a FAST bike. Definatly going to be interesting to see what suzuki and yamaha cook up for next year. I'll give you guys a first ride report on the Gixxer as we (my dad which by default means me) is #1 on the waiting list for one from honda suzuki of salt lake.
I hope its super skinny like the suzuki 600/750 those things are like dirtbikes!
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM

yea i still cant see it beating the 05-06 gixxer 1k. that bike just tops everything. even unchanging into '06... still couldnt be beat as a total bike package. i cant imagine something getting better but i cant wait to see the 07 gixxer 1k
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 04:51 AM

It's MCN... hmmm...
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
It's called the CBR1000RR-Repsol Edition, it came out last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX85 View Post
I'm still holding out for Honda's GP replica.

post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 05:08 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Nice photoshop R1B :comperror

post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:49 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowromance View Post
yea i still cant see it beating the 05-06 gixxer 1k. that bike just tops everything. even unchanging into '06... still couldnt be beat as a total bike package. i cant imagine something getting better but i cant wait to see the 07 gixxer 1k
:jimmie they are so close right now, I'm not sure what planet you are on?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Mummy Man

if left stock r1lover they are close on the track. on the street the r1 is an utter dog until it's regeared or given an exhaust. it acts just like a 600cc bike when left stock. i rode stone's k5 when he had one...pretty good bottom end and it's great compared to the 04 r1. i hope they bring back the bottom end/mid range....suzuki was smart in keeping that.

post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
if left stock r1lover they are close on the track. on the street the r1 is an utter dog until it's regeared or given an exhaust. it acts just like a 600cc bike when left stock. i rode stone's k5 when he had one...pretty good bottom end and it's great compared to the 04 r1. i hope they bring back the bottom end/mid range....suzuki was smart in keeping that.
You are on crack also.......... lmao

Remember I had one just not long ago...... It was not a dog by any means..... it was the most powerful bike I have ever ridden...... and two weeks ago I rode my friends 05 gsxr and imo they are pretty dame close.... yes the gsxr has a little more mid range...... but imo the R1 pulled harder on top.

They are close enough to be the same imo.

Calling the R1 a dog on the street............damn..... lol

Yes if you do gear it down one it's better in the low end, but when I'm riding I'm an R1, I'm not cruising around town on it..................

They key here is knowing how to ride the bike as it was designed. You DO NOT ride an R1 crusiing in the 2000-5000 rpm range..... it was not meant for that at all.... If that's what you want then buy a V-Rod............ lmao

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Mummy Man

that's my point. if you're out hauling it's fun...but just your normal rides...it was like a 600cc until you wrung it's neck. good for the track or when hauling, but not something i want for a street bike. i want power when i twist the wrist i don't want to have to drop gears or wait for it to wind up. i'd get a 600cc if i wanted that. i want POWER/torque on a street bike

post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:34 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
that's my point. if you're out hauling it's fun...but just your normal rides...it was like a 600cc until you wrung it's neck. good for the track or when hauling, but not something i want for a street bike. i want power when i twist the wrist i don't want to have to drop gears or wait for it to wind up. i'd get a 600cc if i wanted that. i want POWER/torque on a street bike
Then here is your answer bro...... :1poke

I have been riding street bikes for almost 20 years and I have never ridden a bike with so much low end.... lol I'm not kidding.... It kick ass on the 0-60 speeds....

|
|
|
|
post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Mummy Man

lol well i also want to be able to wring the bikes neck when i watn to really go i must admit though that that is the best looking harley i've seen. probably sound just as bad as every other harley though...

post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:38 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
lol well i also want to be able to wring the bikes neck when i watn to really go i must admit though that that is the best looking harley i've seen. probably sound just as bad as every other harley though...

lol, no they don't sound anything like a Harley.....

They have a classic Gear driven sound from the engine at low rpms... it'a pretty cool sound...

Mine is a little loud but I will get some clips today... and post them up.

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode