Yamaha Yamaha Sport Bike Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Moderator with attitude

Location: Living in Val's Basement temporarily till I get rescued bitches !!!!!

Send a message via MSN to R1biker
MD First Ride: 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Part One)

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/10nov...maha2007r1.htm

When Yamaha released an all-new R6 for the 2006 model year, not only did they give consumers the finest combination of chassis and suspension ever offered in the supersport class (see our 2006 Supersport Shootout), they gave their race team the perfect weapon with which to contest the 2006 AMA Supersport championship - a weapon Jamie Hacking wielded in dominating fashion, to clinch said championship two rounds early.

With Yamaha's recent announcement that they will return to the AMA Superbike class in 2007, combined with the pending release of the 2007 R1 (see our preview article here), the question on everyone's mind has been: can they do it again? That is, can Yamaha release an R1 whose handling and suspension blows the rest of the superbike class out of the water, just as they did in the supersport class with the 2006 R6? If so, this would give Yamaha (and their factory racers) the modern equivalent of Daisho - the matched pair of long (Katana) and short (Wakizashi) swords carried by the long-ago Samurai, and considered the ideal pairing of weapons for battle.

I just returned from the US press introduction for the 2007 R1 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca near Monterey, California (site of the USGP), where I had the chance to spin approximately 40 laps aboard Yamaha's all-new liter-class machine. While a more complete 'First Ride' impression will have to wait for a few days (we're still waiting to receive photos from the event), I wanted to give eager readers a quick impression of how the bike felt.

Improvements to the chassis (concentrating on the concept of 'tuned flex', where some areas are made less rigid while others are stiffened, or rigidity is made greater in one direction and lesser in another) and suspension (similar to those made to the R6 in 2006) have paid off with crisp, fluid handling - quite similar to that of the R6, in fact. The new R1 inspires confidence in every part of the corner, and the front end in particular offers such impressive feel that the rider inspired to brake later, turn in harder, and carry more corner speed than at first seems possible. While the R1 obviously has a somewhat heavier feel than the R6, it feels light for a literbike, particularly during direction changes - the minor weight gain over the previous model is entirely unnoticeable to the rider.

Yamaha engineers faced competing challenges in designing the new R1 motor - as with every redesign, they were expected to build a mill more powerful than that of the previous generation bike, but at the same time, the 2007 model needed to run much cleaner in order to conform to strict new emissions standards. To overcome these obstacles, Yamaha has abandoned their traditional five-valve per cylinder design in favor of a more mainstream four-valve setup, which allowed a significantly higher compression ratio. These changes, along with the new variable (two-stage) intake-tract system (which switches the length of the intake tract at a preset RPM), helped the new R1 make a claimed 5 more peak horsepower than the outgoing model, while at the same time producing significantly more mid-range power and torque - an area where the previous R1 was generally considered to be weak.

'Weak' is certainly the farthest term from your mind when describing the powerband of the 2007 R1, which delivers a very impressive mid-range in an extremely smooth and progressive manner (smooth delivery is aided by Yamaha's YCC-T 'throttle by wire'), making it surprisingly user friendly for such a powerful motorcycle. The R1 continues to pull hard all the way to redline, but unlike the previous model, the new R1 can make rapid progress even when short-shifted in a more relaxed manner.

Overall, this is one of the most user-friendly, easy-to-ride, and least intimidating liter-class bikes I've had the chance to ride. I typically dislike riding liter bikes on the track, preferring the quicker turning and friendlier power delivery of 600s. However, this is one liter bike that I enjoyed immensely, as it honestly felt a lot like a 600 in terms of handling.

The Pirelli Diablo tires worked flawlessly as well, but in the end, there's only so much power and torque you can feed into the small contact patch left by a rear tire at extreme lean angles - as I found out to my detriment when I got overly aggressive with the throttle exiting Laguna Seca's Turn 3 . . . paying a visit to the gravel trap. Of course, the crash was entirely a result of rider error, and if I hadn't broken my thumb, I would have been right back out on the new R1 - a literbike that still demands respect, but is more rider-friendly than ever.

Stay tuned for a much more in-depth impression in Part 2 (with photos!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpe 111006top.jpe (292.3 KB, 15 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Ask the Chief

nice read man. very interesting....if it weren't for the 10K+ OTD costs, i'd consider one for the track. just wouldn't want to wad something that nice up first time out.

did he describe the power as friendly? hopefully not the same as the CBR1K powerband of a few years ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Very nice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM

I personally would take an 07 10r over an R1....but now I may be tempted to atleast take a test ride.

Great read....

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Hopper in 08

Sounds cool! So the variable length velocity stacks aren't adjusting throughout the rpms... they slide to a diff length once based on a certain rpm sort of like when/how the ex-up valve opens & closes?

My 03 was a great bike - only complaint was low/mid - but sprockets helped that quite a bit.

Also - another dumb question on fly-by-wire throttle. Is there software in place to over ride "extreme" rider input. i.e. back end suddenly slides out under power and the rider instinctively snaps the throttle shut risking a high side - does the software in a FBW system compensate to help minimize the throttle induced high side that's about to happen? Sounds like it's reading engine rpm/wheel speed/throttle input and helping to smooth things out... or am I having another pipe dream

2006 999s Sold... Bikeless MoFo !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:47 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScorpion View Post
Sounds cool! So the variable length velocity stacks aren't adjusting throughout the rpms... they slide to a diff length once based on a certain rpm sort of like when/how the ex-up valve opens & closes?

My 03 was a great bike - only complaint was low/mid - but sprockets helped that quite a bit.

Also - another dumb question on fly-by-wire throttle. Is there software in place to over ride "extreme" rider input. i.e. back end suddenly slides out under power and the rider instinctively snaps the throttle shut risking a high side - does the software in a FBW system compensate to help minimize the throttle induced high side that's about to happen? Sounds like it's reading engine rpm/wheel speed/throttle input and helping to smooth things out... or am I having another pipe dream
From a few things I have read, it does look like it has some sort of limited control over the power delivery based off of the readings it's getting from the input sensors.... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. We will have to wait and see I guess.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Hopper in 08

I'd say with the right software it could be an awesome thing. I guess a lot would depend on what sensors were actually in place etc. Sensing wheel spin would be sweet - but I imagine that's $ so they're probably using other sensors.

Nothing's been said yet about the 6 piston calipers in the front. I'm curious how much of a difference that will make too...

2006 999s Sold... Bikeless MoFo !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
No Crying Allowed

We should see some better reports soon as real world people get there hands on the bike, right now it's just press release crap.... lmao

I want to see and hear a real person and there experience, not a reporter for a bike mag. We all know how they are pushed one way or another- Happens every year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
very nice read. That red r1 is sooo sexy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Dirt Rider :)

i like it in the euro colors it looks like the old 98 R1
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:26 PM

They did say it's heavier than the current one, didn't they? Regardless how it "feels".
Quote:
... the minor weight gain over the previous model is entirely unnoticeable to the rider.
Heavier is heavier, period. I can go to my local suspension guru (Dave C. for those who know him) and he'd make ANY bike nimble for around $1700. I hope they at least stiffened the springs realizing grown up people ride those bikes, at least in the US. Suzuki did.

Drive by wire throttle is the right way. No more messing with mechanical input and deciding how to react moving other mechanical parts. Much simpler IMO than having all those sensors namely the TPS I just replaced per Yamaha's recall. Made the bike unrideable. Software is more reliable IMO. In the worst case there is always some "Reset" switch.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM
No Crying Allowed

The added weight is in the exhaust which will be removed in most cases anyway, so no big deal for me.

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode