Yamaha Yamaha Sport Bike Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

MD First Ride: 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Part Two)

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/13november06_r1pt2.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
RacerX85

Tons of praise without too much concrete feedback...I guess we'll have to wait until motorcycleusa.com comes out with their review to have a better idea.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM

Wait until Roadracing World floggs it. They usually dish out pretty honest feedback compiled from 3-4 staff riders of different skill levels, physical sizes and riding styles.

So to answer my own questions from the previous thread:

Yes - the variable length intake has only 2 settings triggered by rpm & throttle position. Makes sense. How cool would it be if it were progressive?

Kind of: So it seems that the FBW throttle does compensate "somewhat" for erratic rider input but it doesn't sound like it will greatly reduce massive rider error i.e. slamming the throttle shut as you begin a high-side-inducing slide at the rear...

Sounds like a sweet bike! Props to Yamaha for making some solid changes. Too bad I can't take everything to the track myself before I buy next time. I'd like to know for myself how they all feel. That's really what matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
phil-osepher

a little smaller, more power, "feels like a 600"

pretty much the same comments every year about the new liter bikes, and I guess that is a good thing.

should be good though that there is more power in the mid range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
the mid range is the thing i was concerned about. debating picking one up, but i'll wait for some others to have them on the street and see what the feedback is...

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
should be good though that there is more power in the mid range.
bingo, that's where the 04-06 was missing out huge.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Ask the Chief

just my two cents...

from what i know about yamaha FBW, the throttle still has cables running off of it. they run to an electronic servo that tells the carb what position to open up to.

in the aviation world, FBW (as in the F-16) means that there are NO mechanical linkages at all. moving the stick sends an electronic signal to the automatic flight control computers, it mixes the signal with other inputs, then sends the appropriate electronic signals to the servos controlling the flight surfaces.

hence....not really true FBW. if it was 'true' FBW, there would be NO cables at all, and the throttle would more or less be a rheostat that sensed throttle tube movements.

yea....splitting hairs again....

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
just my two cents...

from what i know about yamaha FBW, the throttle still has cables running off of it. they run to an electronic servo that tells the carb what position to open up to.

in the aviation world, FBW (as in the F-16) means that there are NO mechanical linkages at all. moving the stick sends an electronic signal to the automatic flight control computers, it mixes the signal with other inputs, then sends the appropriate electronic signals to the servos controlling the flight surfaces.

hence....not really true FBW. if it was 'true' FBW, there would be NO cables at all, and the throttle would more or less be a rheostat that sensed throttle tube movements.

yea....splitting hairs again....
From what I gathered the cables are a way to move the TPS (if you will) to a different location for the electronics. It also gives the throttle a feel of a real cable type throttle. I'm sure they could have replaced this with a electronic gaget in the throttle assembly, but that may have been a little more difficult to accomplish in the small area they have to work with.

Just my thoughts. :1poke

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 03:29 PM

Doesn't the new R1 have some sort of valve timing control, the article doesn't mention anything about it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT View Post
Doesn't the new R1 have some sort of valve timing control, the article doesn't mention anything about it.
Yea, its called V-TEC. Supposed to be all the rage with the 15 to 17 year old drivers with Civics

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
From what I gathered the cables are a way to move the TPS (if you will) to a different location for the electronics. It also gives the throttle a feel of a real cable type throttle. I'm sure they could have replaced this with a electronic gaget in the throttle assembly, but that may have been a little more difficult to accomplish in the small area they have to work with.

Just my thoughts. :1poke
Read closely. It's all safety (read liability and lawsuits) concerns. The cable acts as some sort of backup system. In the event of "electronic" stuck throttle due to computer malfunction the throttles can be closed mechanically. You might ask what are the chances of FBW failure? Let's just say I hope it won't be any TPS recalls for this R1 generation. :
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
I dont inhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-mofo View Post
Read closely. It's all safety (read liability and lawsuits) concerns. The cable acts as some sort of backup system. In the event of "electronic" stuck throttle due to computer malfunction the throttles can be closed mechanically. You might ask what are the chances of FBW failure? Let's just say I hope it won't be any TPS recalls for this R1 generation. :
correct , it is true fly by wire, you can just manually over ride whatever it is doing by shutting the throttle

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
:slutty

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
That is good idea, would not want any law suits over FBW . :

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
correct , it is true fly by wire, you can just manually over ride whatever it is doing by shutting the throttle

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
good point r1lover. firehawk could you imagine if the throttle was as sensitive as an f16's LOL i think people need the wires to give it that feel that makes it harder to pull back you know...

didn't know there were cables though...interesting. so can you still adjust the throttle play now? i'm sure the 06 r6 guys know the answer to this, but i haven't had the chance to play with a new 06 r6 around here. way more 06 gsxr 600's around here. probably due to price

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
didn't know there were cables though...interesting. so can you still adjust the throttle play now? i'm sure the 06 r6 guys know the answer to this...
yes
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM

the original F-16's stick didn't even move it just perceived pressure on the stick. They changed it because it wasn't natural feeling to the pilots so they made it so the stick would move a little.

can you imagine of the throttle was something like that. didn't spin at all just read pressure.. I wouldn't like that either.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 PM

Just like nice rearsets with ball bearings it's possible to build super smooth spring-loaded throttle that'd feel exactly like traditional one with cables. I wonder how MotoGP bikes are.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Ask the Chief

i looooooove when the clutch is nice and easy to pull...lube is good

everything is ball bearings nowadays...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode