Yamaha Yamaha Sport Bike Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

R6 velocity stacks for the 2006 yet?

Has anyone yet come up with velocity stacks for the 2006 R6 ? I understand how they introduced 'fly by wire' on that model, and it must be the shape of the castings or something on the fuel injectors, but I'v searched a bunch of suppliers and come up with nothing. Could be that the sites aren't up to date ? but at any rate I'v found nothing 2006 R6 specific. Graves has them for everything but the 06, along with a couple other companys. My thinking is that stacks would give the waffer thin powerband a bit down lower, not much but some. In that reguard, addressing the motor charictoristics, powerband, injection and all looking to broaden it, I have for now, instead, decided to go for four teeth, to a 49'er on the rear. I never thought the front sprockets should be changed ie. loosing a tooth because it reduces the angle of travel thus stressing durring transition of pull/push as the chain changes dirrection. So....but anyway, I hope someone of you out there might have heard some news about the stack development for the 06 model. ...............Rich..................

Slow awake....................fast asleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Good news................Optimum Performance Products Inc. (OPP Racing) - Performance Motorcycle Parts Distributor has them, but their not cheap. Parts # OPER80270 @ $619.95 They are said to smooth out mid-range and add 6 horsepower, while adding 2 horspower to the top.
Go to street/racing parts on the left side window towords the bottom, click there and it gets simple
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitleddddd.bmp (122.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (31.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by GoHot229; 12-31-2009 at 06:40 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
7c Forever

I can't see velocity stacks adding that much power.

Are they different lengths? like the outside pair are shorter than the inside pair?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Junior, It's not so much power.....but instead manipulating it to come in at mid-range a bit more than stock. The R6's are notorous for being High-strung, high rpm motors, with not much below 10,000prm, which makes for crummy roll-ons. My Intentions were to find a map plus parts that would enhance the mid-range as much as possable, or even slightly. I'm not expecting anything thats going to give a torque motor, it just isn't designed that way. But as OPP states a 6 hp increase, that would make for a better transition with the light-switch type motor. But....it is spendy for this mod. Then too I haven't found out if these stacks work with filters or not. I absolutly love my R6....but.... And all R6 riders have a 'but'.....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
7c Forever

ya I'm aware of how those motors are but my solution was always to open the cam seperation angle by a couple of degrees.

I've never seen a velocity stack shift more than 5% of the peak torque around, and the most I've ever seen from a better bellmouth was 15% but that's from a straight pipe with no radius to an optimized bellmouth, from a standard radius to an optimized bellmouth is less than 2% usually, maybe 1% from the stock bellmouth to an optimized one. I just can't see changing velocity stacks to add power on top AND in the midrange.

If you're not happy with the powerband I'd recommend looking into adjustable cam sprockets and opening the angle by ~4-5 degrees. You can bump the compression up a wee bit too if you do that.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
7c Forever

Adjustable Cam Sprockets/ Falicon Crankshaft Components, Inc.

$54 from Falicon

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Junior...........much apreciated Bud. Thanks...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

In the chart for application, it specifies "late 06" do you have any insight here? I supose that my Aniversary's vin could be translated and give a build date? Perhaps, but if not I supose a call to Falcion would be in order.
Mabe I'm giving the false impression that I'm unhappy with the R6's power.... and thats not the case, its as close to my old piped Rd's pull as anything I'v ever rode, only at vastly greater velocities. No...I like it, however if a small amount of mid-range is available while not harming the top rip, then it makes sence to aproach that type of modification as long as it wasn't too awfull spendy, and at $600 it's reaching that territory for me. If there was some little thing........you know what I mean....!
ps, sorry... I asumed you were a novice......big mistake

Last edited by GoHot229; 01-03-2010 at 06:00 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 AM
7c Forever

LOL no worries man. I couldn't tell ya on the cam sprockets. Really tho getting a set custom made is still hella cheaper than the stacks. I've never been a big believer in stacks tho. I'd give Falicon a holler, they'll be able to help you out. They're straight shooters, I've used them many times for shit I can't be bothered to do myself or don't have the tools for.

I hear ya on the RD tho, but I'm not sure it's a good thing, I love 2-strokes probably more than anybody here, however 2-strokes have moved on a lot in the last 25-30 years too. Loooooots more torque at the bottom. Lots of guys seem to like that hard hit tho.

No worries on assuming I was a novice, I like to think I still am, just maybe less of one than some others is all, but you never stop learning. Been building motors for some time tho.

Seriously tho if you've got access to good fuel I'd widen the lobes a wee bit and pull 1 layer out of the gasket and see how it feels. Would be good to get a full hot run in on the dyno with the stethoscope on it before running it too hard on the street.

The last 2 years or so I've been big on throwing out the resonance tuning and just knocking the compression up to get the power you're after.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode