Media Photochops, Vids, and Pics... (Work Safe)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Next summers project

Well, not exactly THIS bike but something very similar. Tried to ride the kids 125cc on the MX track once this summer. Nope, not goiong to do that again, not with my back issues. So, it looks like I'll be building a flat track bike. 350 or 500cc engine. It'll be in the vintage class. Don't want to go too fast. Most of the tracks are fairly small and at least one is a TT course so it looks like fun.

Wish me luck. Time to start saving again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09Sep11CircleFactoryHonda21b.jpg (60.0 KB, 0 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
You want to race and not go too fast WTF are you racing for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
He's old and decrepit

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
7c Forever

flat track is plenty fast.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
You want to race and not go too fast WTF are you racing for?
You know what I meant, damnit. I was talking motor size VS the track size. And yes, I am old.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM
7c Forever

I bet his flat track average speeds are faster than Beav's road coarse average speeds.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I bet his flat track average speeds are faster than Beav's road coarse average speeds.
Yeah, thats what.........Wait, I'm stayin' out of this one. LMAO.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Oops lets not get picky now. Oh bugger it, lets ha ha ha
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
doomsday machine

Looks like a fun project.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie again

My buddy who owns the bike shop has built, probably 6 or 7 of these over the past two seasons. Usually just an E-bay, barn find bike that hasn't been ridden in who knows how long. I've seen them lying out against the garage and he transforms them into race ready bikes. Pretty cool considering the shape they're in when he gets them. Torch and grind off every tab, bracket, and anything else not needed, run some extra welds here and there, fresh paint,tires,motor work and you're good to go. You can go to Vintage Flat Tracker to check some bikes that are for sale or just nose around in general. These bikes I'm considering building aren't Springfield mile bikes. Just small tracks, run with your buddies on the weekend kind of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 575857612_aFtb7-L.jpg (210.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 577210229_inaxf-L.jpg (138.5 KB, 2 views)

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Quote:
Mmmmm lets see how we can prove that?

Good luck racing in the dirt bro

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM
7c Forever

It's not too hard to do, you divide the track length by the lap time.

For example, the winning race time at Indy, the race was 25 laps of 1 mile each, so 25 miles distance, and the winning time was 15:48.25, so 0.263 hours

25/0.263 = 94.9 miles per hour averaged over race distance.

now no offense to Lars but I doubt he'll be on that kinda pace, but at Flattrack you're not generally that far off of the top guys either. Anyhow, you know how to do the math now beav?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
It's not too hard to do, you divide the track length by the lap time.

For example, the winning race time at Indy, the race was 25 laps of 1 mile each, so 25 miles distance, and the winning time was 15:48.25, so 0.263 hours

25/0.263 = 94.9 miles per hour averaged over race distance.

now no offense to Lars but I doubt he'll be on that kinda pace, but at Flattrack you're not generally that far off of the top guys either. Anyhow, you know how to do the math now beav?
Class is in.....

Junior I had a guy tell me of this so called record setting time he had done from one town to another. Anyway to cut long stories short he over embelished the story by about 30 minutes. I said to him that unless his bike (stock CBR1000RR, 2006? I think) got miracle fuel economy, not have to stop and could do 215 mph average then I would believe him.

(he says) oh uh, I must have been mistaken
(I thought) full of sh*t wanker

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:34 AM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
Class is in.....

Junior I had a guy tell me of this so called record setting time he had done from one town to another. Anyway to cut long stories short he over embelished the story by about 30 minutes. I said to him that unless his bike (stock CBR1000RR, 2006? I think) got miracle fuel economy, not have to stop and could do 215 mph average then I would believe him.

(he says) oh uh, I must have been mistaken
(I thought) full of sh*t wanker
heehehehe, ya I've heard plenty of talk like that too. Amazing how a little bit of quick math flops it all on his head.

Not to say he wasn't probably hauling ass, just he overembellished a bit.

If I can average 120k's on my sunday morning breakfast run I'm very happy with myself.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Well, the search for my ideal bike is somewhat dragging on. I don't know why I'm in such a big hurry to get something started, it'll be 4-5 months before I can ride the damn thing anyway. Anyhow, have it narrowed down to the 1982 Honda Ascot FT500. Should be a total blast when it's all said and done. I'm watching one now on E-bay. Unless somebody here knows of one lying around in their buddies back yard somewhere. Hell, I could use a mini vacation driving to parts unknown for one. Just throwin it out there. Wish me luck. Someday I'll have my own "work in progress" pics for the forum.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsR1 View Post
Well, the search for my ideal bike is somewhat dragging on. I don't know why I'm in such a big hurry to get something started, it'll be 4-5 months before I can ride the damn thing anyway. Anyhow, have it narrowed down to the 1982 Honda Ascot FT500. Should be a total blast when it's all said and done. I'm watching one now on E-bay. Unless somebody here knows of one lying around in their buddies back yard somewhere. Hell, I could use a mini vacation driving to parts unknown for one. Just throwin it out there. Wish me luck. Someday I'll have my own "work in progress" pics for the forum.
I had one of those a fair while back, and sold it for $100 lmao.

Not a horrible bike all things considered. I think I have a Kawi LTD 440 sitting in the barn you can have for free if you wanna drive to Canada and come get it. That said I haven't actually looked to see if that bike is still there in several years, one of my cousins might have scouped it by now.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
that look sSWEEEET Larry! keep us posted!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Well after 7+hours on my ass driving yesterday, I finally got it home last night. It's in pretty good shape considering it's 27 years old. If I wasn't tearing it down to the frame and building the flat tracker I would have considered putting it back on the road. So, it's the last time it will look like this. I already have a set of Hurricane 600 forks on the way, pipe builder in Texas contacted tomorrow, new shocks on the way soon,ect,ect,ect. Merry early Christmas to me.

Oh, and could this post be moved to a more appropriate spot? Not sure where though. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0420 copy_edited-2.jpg (264.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0425 copy_edited-1.jpg (205.4 KB, 0 views)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie again

Day three. After taking off pretty much all the un-needed parts, I probably lost about 50+lbs off the old girl. I could knock off some more here and there with after market this and that's but for next year it will be fine. We'll see how the season goes first. ANYway.......I got the hurricane forks and one is slightly bent, shouldn't take much to fix. I cut all the tabs of the lowers and started sanding. They'll go to powder coating next week. My builder wired it up after we tore the main wiring harness apart. All I have now is on-off, a starter button and a kill switch. It should keep the battery charged up while it's running, we kept the essential components for that. Battery came after I left the shop for the day, of course, so my guy calls me later with the good news. It's up and running. Motor sounds "nice and smoothe" according to him, no knocks or rattles or anything. Ordered my tank and seat base today too. About a two week turn around to make. New bars-grips-clutch lever-rear brake lever-brake pads-tires-and a fresh coat of paint and I'll be ready. Well, ready to sit and stare at it all winter while I wait for spring to arrive.....Ahhhhh, it feels good to have a bike again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0426 copy.jpg (166.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0427 copy.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0429 copy.jpg (212.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0430 copy.jpg (211.8 KB, 0 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode