Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Whats the longest drive you've ever made?

I've done 16 hours consecutively (not on a bike), and that sucked. However, I am debating what to do for Christmas. We are going to the In-Laws who live about 3 hours south of Dallas, TX.

To fly (3 people plus dog) means paying from $1000 to $1200 for the tickets, plus fighting the holiday crowds at the airports. The plus is it takes about 2.5 hours to fly there. But we'd still have a 3 hour drive from the airport to their home.

-OR-

Drive I calculated food, hotel, and gas costs for the entire trip would cost about $450. (thats just for the drive down and back, money spent on while there is another story) It would be a 21 hour (one way) drive. So I'd have to split it up for sure. I'm just not so sure if I want to spend that much time in the seat, but then again the cost savings would be significant. Plus once we got there we wouldn't have to drive at all.

Besides all that, the dog could just be in the car happy, not crammed in a cage in the belly of a plane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Ask the Chief

drove san diego, ca to pensacola, florida.....32 hours nonstop. stopped to eat and gas, but that's it. drank WAAAAY too much coffee on that trip.

drove pensacola to san diego......took six days, 4-6 hours per day, hotel every night. between gas, hotel and food, cost me $1100 more to drive home.

of course, i had just graduated one of the hardest navy schools around, so i wanted to take my time going home. didn't touch a freeway; drove all backroads thru alabama, mississipi, louisana, nebraska, kansas, and colorado.....colorado was BEAUTIFUL....:

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
mn to seattle, to vacouver and back through canada. that's 5k miles on a bike after a few poker runs in seattle. did all this in a tad over a week. was a riot, but next time i want a throttle lock damnit!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Ta Moko

I once rode a 1982 GSX 1200 from Melbourne to Cairns a distance of 5,000 km=3,000 miles.
It was in the summer of 1988 and my longest day In the saddle was 20 hours. The best part of the trip was no speed limit in the Northern Territory so i pretty much cruised around 120mph, passing roadtrains like they were standing still. I Arrived in Far North Queensland in under 3 days safe and sound.

But you said driving.

To many to list but here are a few

Cairns to Darwin, kakado NP in 3 days, jeep. 3000+ km
Aryes rock to Monkey Mia[Sharks bay] along the dirt tracks of the Gunbarral Hwy a distance of 3000 km, 4 times
Cairns to the tip of the Cape york peninsula X 12
Cairns to the kimberley X 15
Alice Springs to the Far North Kimberley, Darwin lost count

I've done over 1 million miles in the outback over a six year period as a Bush guide. Pretty much covers most of the four wheel tracks North of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Why take your dogs? don't you think it would be better to put them In a quality kennel opposed to driving or flying them around. A lot less stress on the dogs.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:34 PM

Hartford CT to Orlando Florida . It took me 23 hours and a total of 1200 miles.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Virginia Beach VA - Hill AFB UT in a U-Haul w/trailer, took me 38 hours if I remember correctly
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1gladiator
Why take your dogs? don't you think it would be better to put them In a quality kennel opposed to driving or flying them around. A lot less stress on the dogs.
wow, thats alot of driving you mentioned. My 21 hours seems wimpy

About the dog, its a mini-schnauzer and she is lost without us (read: SPOILED ROTTEN) She loves car rides, and especially loves the in-laws so I know she'll be fine. The alternative is leaving her with my parents who own a lab and 2 cats. She wrestles and plays with the dog and one cat, but fights (they have been bloody before) with the old school cat. Bad situation...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:13 PM

i do AMes, Iowa to Daytona beach straight through every year for the holidays.
Flying on the holidays sucks, and this year will be worsethan last because many of the carriers are going to be hit by "sick-outs" just like Delta was last year.
Fucking Unions.

i drive it (1500miles) in a little over 24 hours, and i leqave at 9 at night so i get there in time to go to sleep, which works out perfectly.

Flying is more stressful than driving, and actually tires me out more, plus it's a pain in the ass to fly from Ames (Des Moines actually) to anywhere. DSM to Atlanta to orlando or jacksonville then someone needs to pick me up and drive back to daytona, plus i get to fight the crowds in the airport.

Here's a hint if you want to fly; send your clothes via UPS or Fed-EX ahead of time. Then you dont have to check any bags or presents at the airport. Makes getting the hell outta the airport tons quicker.

thats what i do when i go to conventions. Send my clothes with the convention shit.

my boss still forgets to do this, so while I'm relaxing, he's struggling with getting all his shit...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:29 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
16hours non stop no sleep I almost fell out of the truck when I arrived..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn
16hours non stop no sleep I almost fell out of the truck when I arrived..
here too.........to sacramento (Travis AFB) once....worked a half day(in which I was driving then too buut it was for work so I wont count them miles...........then 15 hours to Sac.........non stop....tried letting the wife drive but in a lifted truck it didnt go well and the wind almost crried her right over the side of a cliff so I took over.......we arrived at 3:40 am and called our friends.....beat tired.....but the kid was raring to GO!!!!!<slept in the back seat most of the way
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Yeah that was driving time.. i was up at 6am went wakeboarding then to a pool party then drove to Angola, IN just on the boarder of Michigan. think we got there at 7-9pm (I couldn't tell time by then) the next day so that was 24-27 hours of being awake. NOT fun

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode