Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Really, REALLY sad.....

Guys,

I remember sitting in front of the computer the day after Christmas, and seeing the first news stories of the tsunami. I remember feeling horrible that so many people died, and so much damage was inflicted.

I've been sitting in front of the TV all day today, and I can't believe what I'm seeing. New Orleans and most of Southern Louisiana is absolutely devastated. There's no way to describe it in words. I spent lots of time there, so this hits much closer to home. This storm has made absolute history. You hear stories about historic hurricanes that inflicted massive damage and killed thousands.....this one tops them all.

I feel a pit in my stomach right now. The images are absolutely stunning....and horrible.

Sorry to get all melodramatic. You guys are my friends, and I'm just saying how I feel.

Bless them all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM

Best wishes for everyone over there...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:27 PM

:imwst
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
watchin it now.. I still don't know why people want to "ride out" a category 5 hurricane.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 PM

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn
watchin it now.. I still don't know why people want to "ride out" a category 5 hurricane.
Have you ever been through a hurricane?

i have.

it's not fun.

My sister's been through 7 now, and still won't move out of florida, although she did move from the panhandle where she went through 4 to daytona, where she went through three last year (good choice sis)

the problem is, no one ever believes the weather people, because they absolutely suck at forecasting the correct path for the most part. Not to mentiopn a lot of people feel like their home will be fine, until it's gone.

Kinda like why people in the midwwest ignore tornado warnings and watches and go outside, or go outside during flooding...

pure stupidity.orneriness/pride

as a side note, my father drove down to Biloxi, MS for tech school after camille, so i had heard some amzing stories from him about that storm, this one doesn't appear to have topped it, but it didn't miss by much....

nother side note, did you know the USS Alabama went through both camille and Katrina in Mobile bay without major damage from either?

now thats well constructed..........

:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
No Crying Allowed

The really sad thing is how much money the americans and others donated to the relief efforts over there and now that it happened to us.......... we will not recieve hardley anything..

We need to learn to take care of ourself and then others .......... not the other way around.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
The really sad thing is how much money the americans and others donated to the relief efforts over there and now that it happened to us.......... we will not recieve hardley anything..
we don't need it. they had nothing.....we're much better off.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER

We need to learn to take care of ourself and then others .......... not the other way around.
as much as it pains me to say this, we really should contribute to relief efforts around the world. And we should ask our citizens to do so as much as they can, and we should encourage businesses/charities/charitable foundations to do so as well.

thats what people who are better off do. Kinda like when you're neighbor (or friend) needs to borrow your car for something important. Yo ulet them. Because you can.

It's a metrail possession, and although no one wants to lose something of theirs, if the need is there, ethics, moral and a good solid upbringing should compell you to do what you can within reason.

personally, what bothers me, is when fine upstanding citizens like sean penn, or Tim Robbins, Or Susan Sarandan, or god forbid George Clooeny, ask me to send over a couple hundred dollars for the relief efforts because they did.

umm little math here, you sent what $1K, so that what percentage of your yearly income of 10 million? oh it's 0.01%

$200 of my $30k salary is what? oh it's 0.6%. and thats about all i've got left after paying my bills to LIVE.

funny how when asked to fork over a million each by Rosey O'Donnell after 9/11, all the stars were absent........
i dont like rosey much, but i respect her for doing what she did.

i also want any money sent to be for relief efforts and rebuilding, not to end up in some dude pocket, like happens with over 85% of what gets sent to Africa and Southeast Asia. Corrupt leaders cannot be trusted, and thats why many people feel like you do R1Lover.

This month's National Geographic is entirely on Africa, and has some enlightening stories, but also some sad commentaries.

personally, supporting other countries in a time of need is one of the many things that historically has made america the greatest single country in history.
And i see no reason to change that.

as long as it's done by willing people, and not because some useless prettyy face tells you to.

it's kinda like the old fashioned "family" unit so many want to get rid of today.
when gramma was sick, she movced in with the kids, not a nursing home.
When billy went to kindergarten, he went for a half day, and then went to daycar or home, not a full day of school so mom&dad could save money and teachers could teach them less.....
When a family member needed something, the family provided for it, or asked the community to help out, not demanded help from the government....

kinda makes me miss the old days.

you know, when people took responsibility for their actions........
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Ta Moko

A lot of people could not leave as they don't own a car and with no public transport what could they do? Now the superdome has 30,000 people with little hope of getting out anytime soon. The State should have provided free bus's for those that wanted to leave before the storm.

Should they rebuild New Orleans? Nope as we are in a period of intense hurricane activity due to climate change. This won't be the last Cat 4 or 5 to hit the USA. I would not be to surrprised if a one of the Hurricane that hits Baja makes it to San Diego in the near future

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
No Crying Allowed

I agree with you Mike and others, I knew right after I hit submit that I would stir up an answer like that from someone. I guess I just get frustrated with everyone bashing America when we try and do the right thing and help everyone. Then when it's us that gets hit with a tragedy no one wants to help thinking we don't need it. Other countries are the suffering because of there leaders and there's not an easy answer for that issue.

Although I'm sure some of you can come up with one.. lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Ta Moko

CNN just said the pumps have failed and to expect to water to raise 15 feet in the next 2 hours. Holy shit. Pumps have failed. Its getting dark.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
No Crying Allowed

I've been watching CNN too, they have had the best coverage so far of this whole mess... CNN

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

you guys....it absolutely KILLS me....

we have 8 helicopters sitting on the tarmac....i'm a rescue swimmer and an EMT.....i want to go help NOW!!!!! i'm sure all kinds of units are being pushed that direction.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
No Crying Allowed

Well it sure doesn't seem like it, although I'm sure there is not too much of a rush as they told them all to leave..... but some people had no choice! Some flights were cancelled and they had no where to go.... That would have really sucked to be in that position... I wish you could go help too.........

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Ask the Chief

yup.....joined to be a rescue swimmer, and ended up becoming a door gunner. kind of ironic, don't you think?

anyway, the coasties are the studs when it comes to search and rescue. that's their primary job....they should be good at it.

can you believe the pictures of entire stretches of highway GONE, and oil rigs washed ashore or completely missing?! wow....an oil rig became LODGED against a bridge....there's something you don't see everyday.

people are going to start getting desperate tomorrow.......usually the third day is when people start going nuts....damn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode