Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Unbelievable

So our company is involved in this program called "Project Search." This is where we hire people with certiain disabilities (downsyndrome, torretts etc) for tasks that they can do. Oftentimes, it works out really great.

One of our functions is data entry. Someone sits at a desk and enters loan numbers into a system. They get the numbers off of documents like mortgages, title policies, loan mods etc. So they have to sort the documents and enter in the loan numbers.

Someone like you or me would look at a document, enter the number, set the document down, go to the next one etc... to the tune of about 400 documents per day. We now have a project search employee, and I'm not sure what he has but he is kind of like "rainman" if you've seen the movie. So, he can take a STACK of documents, flip through them all 50 to 75 of them really fast (remember these loan numbers are 10 digits long) then key them in flawlessly. A true photographic memory. To watch him is unbelievable. Not to mention, he processes like 3 times the amount of what you or I could do per day.

From a management perspective, he should be great as well. Typically, project search employees are never attendance issues, and are always very focused at work. So I guess the moral of the story is, you cant judge a book by the cover

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
The facility I work at is home to over 300 mentally retarded adults that are either "severely" or "profoundly" retarded. After seeing what some of them are capable of, I've learned that just because someone is retarded, it doesn't mean they are stupid. They might not be able to cope on their own in our society, but some of them posess skill that none of us could hope to have. Strange how the mind (even a damaged one) works.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
just wait till he flips through there and memorizes SS numbes :laugh

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

he would make a great card counter

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM
No Crying Allowed

That's great to hear your company doing such things.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 08:31 AM

That's pretty amazing... how much more advanced someone is compared to the average joe, yet to everyone else so less advanced.

You hit it on the head when you said you can't judge a book by its cover
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
meat popsicle

I think its awesome that your company does that, more info:

idiot savant (ID-ee-uht sa-VAHNT) noun

A person with autism or some other mental disability who is exceptionally gifted in a highly specialized field, such as math (rapid mental calculation) or music (ability to play a complex piece of music after hearing it only once).

This term is now outdated. Autistic savant is the current term.

this link is good: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...t?OpenDocument
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 AM

cool hearing that your company allows these people to fill a needed capacity in the first place.......they also have the auto feeling of wanting to contribute to society in some way and its really cool when companies likes yours helps these people do that Phil....good on ya and your company

:badg

you should take that dude to a decent lunch one day if he hauls that much ass
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 AM

i would be taking him under my wing and seeing how well he does at counting blackjack deals or predicting the roulette wheel.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
he would make a great card counter
I wish he was with me last weekend in Vegas.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM

Re: Unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
So our company is involved in this program called "Project Search." This is where we hire people with certiain disabilities (downsyndrome, torretts etc) for tasks that they can do. Oftentimes, it works out really great.

One of our functions is data entry. Someone sits at a desk and enters loan numbers into a system. They get the numbers off of documents like mortgages, title policies, loan mods etc. So they have to sort the documents and enter in the loan numbers.

Someone like you or me would look at a document, enter the number, set the document down, go to the next one etc... to the tune of about 400 documents per day. We now have a project search employee, and I'm not sure what he has but he is kind of like "rainman" if you've seen the movie. So, he can take a STACK of documents, flip through them all 50 to 75 of them really fast (remember these loan numbers are 10 digits long) then key them in flawlessly. A true photographic memory. To watch him is unbelievable. Not to mention, he processes like 3 times the amount of what you or I could do per day.

From a management perspective, he should be great as well. Typically, project search employees are never attendance issues, and are always very focused at work. So I guess the moral of the story is, you cant judge a book by the cover

VIDEO TAPE HIS ASS WE NEED PROFF!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode