Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Working the Graveyard shift

Anybody else do it? I've been on it about 6 weeks now and it's starting to wear me down. I don't have a problem staying up at night; it's the rest of the day that sucks.

I work 10:45pm to 6:45am. If I sleep as soon as I get home (around 7:30 - 8) I can get up by 3pm and have a few hours before I have to go back. But if I get home and stay up up for a few hours to have breakfast with the family and spend some quality time with them; then I end up sleeping till 6 or 7pm. Then I have enough time to eat dinner, play with my daughter for a few, postwhore on here a little, take a shower and I'm off to work again. Maybe it's just cause my day is broken up by sleep, but it just doesn't feel like there are as many hours in a day any more...

I guess I just needed to rant a bit. I just feel like I never get anything done anymore- riding, work around the house, washing the cars/bike, etc. I'm finally hooking up with someone for a ride this Wednesday (my night off). Vcyclenut from the other forum lives just a few miles away, and he's taking his bike to a potential buyer to have a look at, and I'm going along. Just stinks that it's taken till now. Maybe I just need to plan my days off better to accomplish more, I don't know. Sorry so long, just wanted to vent....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 05:42 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
i work at least one graveyard shift a month, and have worked nights often enough before... you're right, it does feel like you have less time...

realistically, you have about the same amount of time, you'll just find it's less productive time, until you work yourself into a good routine...

say you've been working days for five years... you've honed your routine until it works for you, and now you've basically thrown out a lot of that routine, or at least turned it on it's head

this is going to sound anal, by try and plan out your week for a little while, just so you can start building on a new routine, that will eventually work for you

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:05 PM

One of my good friends works third shift, and his sleep schedule is always a total mess. My dad did it for years too, and it wears on you. I've heard that there have been studies and working third shift actually takes time off your life, because you're fighting your body's natural pattern of awake time and sleep time, and if you do it long enough, it does wear on you.

Do your best to get on a routine, same as you would if you were working first shift, and you'll probably feel better and have more time to get stuff done. It will probably take a while, but do it long enough and your body will adjust.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
No Crying Allowed

I have never worked a third shift or those late hours... I did work from 3pm - 12am for a while though.... that was actualy a pretty good schedule for being in my early 20's

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 07:04 PM

used to work a 2:30 to 11......couldnt hang the midnites myself.....dunno why as I am the nitecrawler here....weird huh?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:53 AM

I worked a rotating shift (one week days, one week swings, one mids) for about a year and when everyone was ready to mutiny, they gave us a break and went to a two week rotation (not any better). I've also worked the graveyard shift for almost two years so that I could work full time (Air Force) and go to school (full time) during both the day and evening. Add in the family time, "honey do" lists, homework and 12-16 hour shifts due to the first gulf war and I don't think I slept more than a couple hours at any time in over two years.

Graveyard shift sucks! I hope you're getting a premium $$$ for it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
I did it for two years in the military. I enjoyed it and it was quiet out and less BS to deal with. At least in my job

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
used to work the 2:30 - 11:30 liked it because I like to sleep in

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Yep I've worked graves and it SUCKS. You never really get use to it. ALWAYS tired. Luckily I don't have to do it anymore but I had about a year of it... sucked.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Ask the Chief

don't get me started.......

i love helicopters, but they are specifically designed to beat themselves to death. things break CONSTANTLY, especially the wire and tron components. they are very difficult to maintain, and a helo command is not for someone looking for lots of off time.

i'm in charge of maintenance control, and i develop and execute the maintenance plan each day in order to meet the flight schedule. i'm also an aircrewman (rescue swimmer, gunner, instructor......). you could say i'm "triple hatted"....too many jobs. as maintenance control, i get there an hour ahead of everyone else (to develop the plan for the day) and don't leave till everyone is out of the building. that's normally 6am to 6pm. then, throw an occasional flight on top of that, and my schedule could be 6am to 2am one day (yes....that's 20 hours), then noon to 4pm the next. we work two weekends a month, so i usually have every other monday/tuesday off. also, we do small three day detachments to support other units, so i might be gone three or four days, normally twice a month. oh, and i occasionally stand an 8-hour watch or two a month.

my schedule is VERY flexible. my days are normally 12-14 hours long. the wife doesn't love it at all, especially considering i'm going away for 4 months next month.

i've been doing this for 7 years, with one more to go. i'm out of this command next august, and.......believe it or not.......it's going to be difficult to go. i love my job, and i love being able to say that i'm out there making a difference. this place takes a big commitment, but my job satisfaction is high.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 AM

I'll be working 6p to 6am coming in Dec. Long days but I'll get four days off too. The wife isn't too happy that I won't be around at night but I'm sure she will be when I bring home the bacon. For some reason I've always dealt better being on a night schedule used to work 5p-2a and 11p-7a. Didn't mind it at all.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
don't get me started.......
Mark I doubt any of the rest of us can hold a candle to your schedule. You guys always get the shit-end of the stick, so the saying goes. But at least you love what you do. My job is "ok", but it's just till I get something better. I know I won't be doing it forever. But in the mean-time I just hate feeling like a walking zombie while I'm at home, and at night when I'm wide awake, my family is at home asleep. Just feels like I'm using all my energy towards a job and not nearly enough for my family.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode