Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Car troubles, what would cause this?

So, this morning I go out to start the car. It makes the fast ticking sound, and doesnt even attempt to turn over. I'm thinking to myself, it cant be the battery, but still I pulled up the other vehicle and tried to jump start it. The car has plenty of battery power, but not even a chance of turning over. Just the fast ticking sound.

Earlier this morning when I hit the remote start (like I always to do heat up the car) There was a bad grinding noise for about 1 second. Kind of like that noise a car makes when you try to start it but it is already running. I'm thinking the starter is shot.

Any other suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
Could still be the battery....

I had that once with the bike. Forgot to put the battery tender on... Tried to start it - just fast ticking/rattling sound... Tried to jump start it, again fast ticking rattling sound... Charged battery for 3 hours, and she started right up...

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 AM
The answer? Simple: 42

Check your battery connections. Your battery might have enough power, but not enough of a solid connection to let the juice go through it. Dirty terminals maybe? Turn the headlights on and see if they dim when trying to start it up.

If you heard a grinding sound from the remote start, I'd say it's possible about a bad starter.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 AM
just a user

Send a message via MSN to korrupt1 Send a message via Yahoo to korrupt1
more than likely the starter but as fjorn sid I woud check connections....I had a bad ground to my el camino once that caused absolute hell on me as for awhile I couldnt find it........turned out a ground wire was hanging by one strand of wire.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

now it cranks for about .05 seconds and then the ticking sound......

Waiting on the tow truck to arrive. I dunno if its the battery. I checked the connections, they look good. If it was the battery wouldnt it crank once I hooked up the other vehicle?

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:17 AM

No. The battery could be totally shot, and it won't crank. One way to determine if your car is actually being jumped is if the car that is running drops in rpm as the cables are connected. If so, then the dead car's battery is drawing a load. If not, you've got a connection problem, or the battery is fully charged (but it might drop a slight amount in rpm).

Sounds like a bad battery more than anything. It's getting cold more consistently now, and a bad battery will show failures in the first cold weather.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
we meat again

If the battery is fine, then it's the starter...

Even when the battery is bad, you should still able to crank it once you connect to another vehicle... try connect for like a minute or two before cranking... if that still doesn't work, then it's most likely the starter itself...

:corn

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
we meat again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn
No. The battery could be totally shot, and it won't crank. One way to determine if your car is actually being jumped is if the car that is running drops in rpm as the cables are connected. If so, then the dead car's battery is drawing a load. If not, you've got a connection problem, or the battery is fully charged (but it might drop a slight amount in rpm).

Sounds like a bad battery more than anything. It's getting cold more consistently now, and a bad battery will show failures in the first cold weather.
Really? I always thought you can still crank it even the battery is dead? Maybe I'm wrong then...

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
If the battery is fine, then it's the starter...

Even when the battery is bad, you should still able to crank it once you connect to another vehicle... try connect for like a minute or two before cranking... if that still doesn't work, then it's most likely the starter itself...

:corn
See my post above about drawing charge form another vehicle.

But yes, if everything checks out on the battery, then it most likely is the starter. However, batteries are typically the ones to fail.

BTW, what's the age and make of the vehicle?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

the vehicle is a 2000 mitsubishi. about 55,000 miles. Kind of premature to think about a starter, but who knows??

Maybe the loads caused by the constant remote starting has screwed it up?

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
Really? I always thought you can still crank it even the battery is dead? Maybe I'm wrong then...

It depends on how bad the battery is. If the battery has shorted out and is causing a hard draw, no amount of power you feed to it will allow you to crank it. Same if you have an open circuit or restricted flow such as corrosion or loose connections.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
the vehicle is a 2000 mitsubishi. about 55,000 miles. Kind of premature to think about a starter, but who knows??

Maybe the loads caused by the constant remote starting has screwed it up?
Seems a little premature for a dead starter, but they can fail early. I had an alternator go out on me at 11,000 miles on a new truck.

As to the remote starter, I have no experience with them really. But, I don't think that would make any difference than if you were to start it by key.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

$60 later..........I now have a new battery. The tow truck guy had this little charger box with 2 clips that he attached to my battery and the car fired right up. I asked him why, when I tried to jump it off my SUV it did nothing and he said because the battery was SO dead that it just couldnt produce enough power to do it.

Strange because, there were really no signs leading up to this. It has been starting fine for as long as I've had the car.

Go figure

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
Strange because, there were really no signs leading up to this. It has been starting fine for as long as I've had the car.

Go figure
Quote:
the vehicle is a 2000 mitsubishi.
This has something to do with it. If it's the original battery, consider yourself lucky. Most batteries don't last 5 years, but they are getting better.

As I mentioned previously, it's getting colder now so a battery that was performing quite well before when it was relatively warm is going to show it's weakness in a hurry in cold weather.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

good point. The last couple days it has gotten cold like a mo-fo. Thats probably what did it in....

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjorn
As I mentioned previously, it's getting colder now so a battery that was performing quite well before when it was relatively warm is going to show it's weakness in a hurry in cold weather.
I've had the same exact thing happen. No problems from the battery whatsoever, and then along comes a quick cold snap and it's deader than a doornail.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM
just a user

also if you have a multimeter you should be seeing like 12.6 - 12.8 volts with vehicle sitting idle not running......and somewhere in the 13.4 while running......that will tel you that your alternator is good also and providing charge to your battery.

if no multi you can use he old trick of pulling the positive cable and if vehcle stays running....your alternator is doing its thing
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrupt1
if no multi you can use he old trick of pulling the positive cable and if vehcle stays running....your alternator is doing its thing

Not on new cars you can't. They need that complete electrical circuit..
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM
just a user

still worked on my 02 civic........
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:06 PM
No Crying Allowed

Honda's dont' count... lmao

Be sure and check your alternator charging voltage, if it's not charging then you could go through another battery in a day or two... lol

Motor stopped voltage should be 12-12.5 volts

Motor running between idle and 3000 rpm it should be approx 13.8 volts.

At idle it may not be much higher than 12.5 or so... the key is when it's running over 1200rpm or so it should be at 13.8 volts

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode