Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Vote 'Multible choice"
Happy Holidays 3 17.65%
Merry Christmas 12 70.59%
Don't care 5 29.41%
Dam libs 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

Happy Holidays

December 9, 2005 latimes.com : National News

Single page Print E-mail story Change text size THE NATION
A Very Wary Christmas

<li style="list-style-type: square; list-style-image: none; list-style-position: inside;">Retailers and governments heed the wrath of Christians who seek recognition of the sanctity of the occasion. Attorneys are standing by.

By Stephanie Simon, Times Staff Writer

PARKER, Colo. Christmas is back.

A few weeks ago, banners outside every Lowe's store in the nation announced a sale on "Holiday Trees." Hundreds of Christians called to complain that the home-improvement chain was shunning Christmas.

The banners came down. Now the fake firs and pines are clearly labeled "Christmas Trees."

Target, too, started the season with a generic marketing theme. It
pushed holiday plates, holiday leggings, holiday ornaments, holiday trees with nary a mention of Christmas. Then, more than 500,000 shoppers signed an online pledge to boycott the chain. This week, Target promised to bring more Christmas into its stores as Dec. 25 approaches.

For the third year in a row, Christians nationwide have mobilized to put the holy back in the holiday. And they are winning battle after battle.

Their most publicized victories have come in the retail realm, where they have urged stores to acknowledge that the December shopping frenzy is not just about scoring a cheap DVD player, but also about celebrating Christ's birth.

Walgreen Co. says it's too late to change this year's "holiday" circulars, but in response to dozens of customer complaints, it has promised to bring back the word "Christmas" in its 2006 ads.

Macy's the subject of a small boycott last year sent activists a letter touting its use of "Merry Christmas" in ads, store windows and a TV jingle. A Macy's executive vice president, Louis M. Meunier, pledged that the company would use Christmas in even more marketing next year.

Defenders of Christmas hailed the news with triumph.

But they haven't stopped at the mall door.

At least 1,500 attorneys have volunteered to sue any town that tries to keep Nativity scenes out of its holiday displays. About 8,000 public school teachers stand ready to report any principal who removes "Silent Night" from the choir program.

The volunteers are armed with a seven-page memo that lays out the case for Jesus in public school concerts, for creches in the classroom and for mangers in city parks (as long as the religious references are balanced with secular songs and decorations).

The memo was written by the Liberty Counsel, a nonprofit law firm based in Orlando, Fla., that is affiliated with the Rev. Jerry Falwell. The firm won a federal ruling in 2003 that said several Massachusetts high schoolers' free-speech rights were violated when they were suspended for distributing candy canes adorned with religious greetings.

This week, the Liberty Counsel won against two Florida towns that had agreed to let locals decorate a public park with a Christmas tree and a menorah but not a Nativity scene. The nonprofit law firm had no sooner filed suit in federal court than the towns reversed course and permitted a display depicting Jesus' birth.

Liberty Counsel President Mathew D. Staver has also threatened to sue two Wisconsin elementary schools over choir concerts he says deny the religious nature of Christmas by featuring songs about Santa instead of Jesus.

One of the districts Staver has questioned does include the religious song "Angels We Have Heard on High" in a "holiday sing." But he remains convinced that secularists have declared a "war on Christmas," in some cases going so far as to change the lyrics of songs like "Silent Night" to remove any reference to Christ's birth.

"People often think the safest route is to censor Christmas," Staver said. "But to be inclusive, you need to recognize all aspects of the holiday."

That message has even made its way into politics. After a decade as a generic holiday tree, the twinkling conifer at the Capitol is a Christmas tree once more, thanks to a request by House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.).

Some Christian leaders have taken their campaign to the White House, expressing outrage this week over the annual White House greeting card, which offers wishes for a happy "holiday season." President Bush, they said, had better start wishing them a "Merry Christmas" instead.

Such demands have some skeptics crying Grinch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:05 PM

Are you mkinla's twins?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
Are you mkinla's twins?
:laugh :laugh

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

I voted "Don't care'

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
"If you ignore history, you run the risk of repeating it."

This country was founded by induviduals seeking freedom from persecution for openly practicing their religion. Yet here we are a few hundred years later, again telling people you cannot openly celebrate the birth of Christ. Draw your own conclusions as to where this is going...

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:18 PM

If you dont like it..... Get the [email protected]# OUT!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast
"If you ignore history, you run the risk of repeating it."

This country was founded by induviduals seeking freedom from persecution for openly practicing their religion. Yet here we are a few hundred years later, again telling people you cannot openly celebrate the birth of Christ. Draw your own conclusions as to where this is going...
or where my kid (or yours) gets in trouble for saying a prayer in her moment of silence.....or says one nation......under God.

well yo bunch of lame ass POS's

it IS one nation under GOD!!! hear that??? huh??

my pesonal favorite of AZ was RIGHT after 9/11.....a muslim chick wanted her drivers license to be with her veil across her eyes because of her religion......UHM.....fuck you is pretty much what the courst ruled

1 year later...she was back again asking for the samething.....and my tax dollars have to pay for retarded crap like this.

during my time of off work....did I beg for $$ from the state? NO....but I watched the lousy bums take their unemployment checks week after week in to get cashed and then some time during that week they would turn in some form saying they were out looking for a job. yea right. ever get the time follow one around all day. I swear I could live better on how they are doing it....one lady I kid you not......$1500 in food stamps and a weekly check from the great state providing her a home and she never lifted a finger........her son would bring home applications on his way home from school....she would then turn these in saying she was looking for a job. sad world we live in these days
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 09:17 AM

i personally do not care as long as all are treated equally.

there is nothing that says a retail store needs to celebrate Christmas, however if they do not, my belief is that they shouldn't push another like Chanakuh or Kwanzaa.

however, also keep in mind that a retail store is NOT a public place.
They have the right, to a point, to do what they want asfar as religious or non-religious activities.
as long s they are not breaking the law, then they should be allowed to approach these times as they desire.
However, they should also realize that it's equally lawful to request people to boycott them for their choices.

as far as a city, they are different, and MUSt either disallow ALL religious artifacts beings displayed, or allow ALL of them.

That is the law.
Unfortunately, Most cities are too afraid of people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like to prohibit certain ones, while at the same time trying to rely upon idiotic judges to disallow christian displays.

i feel its about time that the law was applied equally to all religions in this type of case.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:41 PM

:mummyzz ...this topic is just getting old
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
Merry Christmas here...

i agree w/ you budha...not a big deal to me as long as it's fair. I am getting sick of hearing about it though

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:04 PM

Just heard on the radio today... we don't have as much problem in Canada...

+60% -> Merry Christmas
+30% -> Both
Less than 10% -> Just Happy Holidays

:corn
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 PM

Hey Gladiator.
Nice avatar
Have you seen the Movie its from?
"Once were warriors"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:26 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
Hey Gladiator.
Nice avatar
"Once were warriors"
:jacked i have i love that movie
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
Hey Gladiator.
Nice avatar
"Once were warriors"

Oh hell yes more than a few times..but the guy in the back seat with the tats is me: :laugh

jking:laugh

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Wheatman

Ho Ho Hoes......Merry Chrstmas!!!!!!!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 AM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Yea.. I voted "Don't Care!!"

When did the world become so pety?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode