Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
meat popsicle

HDTV question

So I have an HD-ready TV, how do I go about getting it to work? Do I call my cable company and ask them for some kind of additional hardware? Can I buy an HDTV receiver and hook it up myself?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

If you have an HDTV ready TV, then all you need is a HDTV reciever and signal and you are good to go....

Here is what I have

Comcast Cable HDTV - Comcast provides the HDTV receiver and it also has a HDTV terrestrial receiver built-in. With this you will receive a few HDTV channels through the Comcast and you will receive a few locals through an external HDTV attenna you will have to provide. (that also plugs into the same box)

Or you can go with Directv HDTV and add the antenna like above for the local channels. you get again only a few channels through Directv and a few locals through the antenna.

hope this helps...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I swear it wasn't my pipe

Send a message via AIM to Pvt Jet Send a message via MSN to Pvt Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Pvt Jet
You can get about 25 HD channels with Dish and an Off air antenna tho. That's the route I am taking.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Jet
You can get about 25 HD channels with Dish and an Off air antenna tho. That's the route I am taking.
Dish Network?

Last edited by daotan; 12-17-2005 at 07:44 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:38 PM
No Crying Allowed

Dish does have a few more channels than Directv because they just bought out Vroom or Zoom whatever it is.. lol But you will find that most of those channels you will rarely watch.... The main channels that I watch in HDTV are the local channels and ESPN....

The local channels will vary by location, post up your zip code and I will do a search for you on what you can expect to receive.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:46 PM
No Crying Allowed

I guessed here on your zip but these channels are pretty damn close so you should be fine..

You will get all of these channels with a $75.00-$100.00 antenna...

and then expect to pick up about 5-10 more on Directv or dish or your local cable company

These are all HDTV channels, some may only broadcast in HDTV at night which is normal - but even during the day they are crystal clear, just not in HDTV format.

WPWR-DT 50.1 UPN GARY IN 93° 4.4 51
* red - uhf WSNS-DT 44.1 TEL CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 45
* red - uhf WYCC-DT 20.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 77° 5.3 21
* red - uhf WTTW-DT 11.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 47
* red - uhf WLS-DT 7.1 ABC CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 52
* red - uhf WMAQ-DT 5.1 NBC CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 29
* red - uhf WJYS-DT 36.1 REL HAMMOND IN 93° 4.4 36
* red - uhf WGBO-DT 66.1 UNI JOLIET IL 77° 5.3 53
* red - uhf WGN-DT 9.1 WB CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 19
* red - uhf WXFT-DT 60.1 TFA AURORA IL 93° 4.5 59
* red - uhf WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 31
* red - uhf WCIU-DT 26.1 IND CHICAGO IL 93° 4.4 27
* red - uhf WCPX-DT 38.1 i CHICAGO IL 93° 4.5 43
* red - vhf WBBM-DT 2.1 CBS CHICAGO IL 77° 5.3 3
* blue - uhf WYIN-DT 56.1 PBS GARY IN 158° 40.2 17
Note:

|
|
|
|

Last edited by R1Lover; 12-17-2005 at 07:50 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:58 PM
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
not worth it

not enough good programming to invest in it

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
not worth it

not enough good programming to invest in it
Budha, fir the above channels there is little to no investment and no monthly charges.

He has the tv and all he needs is a receiver... if he doesn't want to pay any monthly charges for Cable HD or Direct HD then he can just buy his own receiver for about 150 or so....

Small price for a clear picture....

|
|
|
|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 08:15 PM
No Crying Allowed

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=15889

$135.00 total investment..........

Of course if you don't have a HD ready tv then you would have that large investment....

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:32 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Cox cable has all local HD broadcasts and HBO, Showtime, PBS and a bunch more with digital cable. I've got a plasma though, so I opted for the better service.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Budha, fir the above channels there is little to no investment and no monthly charges.

He has the tv and all he needs is a receiver... if he doesn't want to pay any monthly charges for Cable HD or Direct HD then he can just buy his own receiver for about 150 or so....

Small price for a clear picture....
i have a Sony Wega XBR that has great picture quality and Direct Tv which does also, so i dont worry about poor pictures

also keep in mind that DVD movies are not in HD, so the only thing you get is some basic sports, limited movie programming and a large amount of other programming like discovery and some PBS.

So my opinion is that its not worth it.

now if all you had was crappy cable or antenna based network, then maybe, but for me, i'll pass.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 PM
No Crying Allowed

I agree to a point........

Football in HDTV is amazing, Basketball is great as well.... That alone for me is worth the money..

In addittion 80% of primetime tv is now in HDTV... I agree that Directv has a great picture but true HDTV is about 2 steps up from that.

I have directv and the HD package, along with an antenna and I pick up a total of about 25-30 stations in HDTV. about 1/2 of them are b.s. nature discovery channels but the rest I watch everyday....

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Direct TV has launched two satelites within the last year. I dont know the exact date but sometime within next year they will have around 50-70 hdtv channels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode