Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy At a loss........

My best friends just called me to let me know that Sunday night their house burned down. I am at a total loss as to what to do to help them right now. The insurance company has given them a check to take care of things but they are saying total loss on the house and at least 6 months to rebuild. I want to be able to do something to help them during this time but I am not sure what would be best... any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf4iangel
My best friends just called me to let me know that Sunday night their house burned down. I am at a total loss as to what to do to help them right now. The insurance company has given them a check to take care of things but they are saying total loss on the house and at least 6 months to rebuild. I want to be able to do something to help them during this time but I am not sure what would be best... any advice?
Organize a benefit for them. Could be anything... A party with volunteers to help out and proceeds going to them... A raffle,... Whatever. There's a million things you could organize for them so everyone participating would have fun...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM

Sorry to hear that Cousin of mine and his family had their house burn down the week before christmas several years ago... sucks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:43 PM

avoid the raffle, someone is gonna have to pay the taxes.
The best thing is to hold a benefit dinner and get the community (if you can) or friends and co-woprkers etc to show up.
We did this for a coworker that was very young and had cancer.
we went to local busnesses and got them to donate food, drinks, paper plates, etc.
also some donated prizes to auction off for the benefit, however you have to watch the value of the item as there are rules to prohibit expensive items unless tax is paid on them first or by the winner.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Damn that sucks. My sister in-law lost her house in the Cedar fire out here a couple of years ago.

Does your friend have a place to stay?

Total loss..Hmm....Maybe the board could help out with donations?

Don't want to put anybody on the spot though.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Wheatman

Hate to hear about Your friend........No advice but to be there if they need you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.. they are very lucky that their insurance company is paying for everything and they are staying with her dad for the time being... Hopefully in the next couple of days I will know more of what they need and what I can do to help them... Thank you for your advice...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf4iangel
Thanks everyone.. they are very lucky that their insurance company is paying for everything and they are staying with her dad for the time being... Hopefully in the next couple of days I will know more of what they need and what I can do to help them... Thank you for your advice...
the biggest thing will be comfort items
things that they couldn't just go buy
replacing those usually helps the process go faster

unfortunately, those are also the hardest to replace
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I have one to make all of you guys cringed.. their DVD collection.. all bought, searched, hunted, begged, pleaded for.. total over 1000 DVD's.. and they are all gone.... They had just that morning finished Christmas shopping and got everything in the house an hour before this happened... I keep thinking of all of the stuff that they had that I have copies of.. pics of the kids.. things that over the last 8 years of friendship we have shared.. I think the hardest is that I look around at my house and can't even begin to think of what I would do if I lost it all.. the stuff from the kids, their baby books.. it's those things that are the hardest I think...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:57 PM
No Crying Allowed

Sounds like they have there health..... Everything else is replaceable..........

Be thankful that they weren't home asleep.......

Not trying to take anything away from them, but you have to look at the positive in negative situations like this..............

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
One thing I can think of, is every scrap of memorabilia, notes, letters, photos etc..that you have, get them copied and hand it to them. If their other friends have similar stuff, which I reckon they would, then get them to do the same thing. You might be amazed in how much they can recover from their friends at least, memory wise.

My 2 cents, Warp

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Wholly chit...that sucks. I wish I could offer more real advice like some of the others here but I've luckily never had to deal with that.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to them though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode