Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Question Dog Behavior Peeps?

OK
Here is the deal. We have a 4 yr old mini-schnauzer who is spoiled beyond belief, but 2 days ago we made an addition to that by purchasing a 10 week old mini-pomeranian (where is my manhood?). So, we KNEW that our schnauzer would be pissed, so we introduced them at the pet store first. That didnt go too well. She actually pinned the little guy down by the neck a few times and made him scream. It seems to be getting better though, she still growls at him but she doesn't hurt him, and she "plays" with him in the strangest way. Its almost as if she is trying to dominate him or let him know who is boss, but he kind of fights back too.

As I type this I can hear them going at it in the other room, I wonder if they'll ever be "friends."

Here is a vid shot last night of what goes on
CLICKY HERE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:05 AM
FAsT BOYS

thats exactly what she is doing, imposing hher dominance. he will be ok. i had an old female rott that used to just run the shit out of my 85 lb am staff. if he wanted to he could have beat her old ass but she didnt let him know haha... i just watched your vid thats cute as shit and appears tottaly normal. the little dude trying to hump her is as well as her mobbing him and laying him on his back.

Last edited by Snair; 05-06-2006 at 11:08 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:37 PM

I agree with Snair the older dog will assert its dominance until the other dog become submissive then they'll be best buddies. THis will be how it goes probably forever but keep an eye on them when the Pomeranian is getting older it may try to dominate and take over as alpha pompom.
The domination is kind of weird the schnauzer will pin the other down, roll it on its back, even hump it this is all normal and will pass as soon as the pecking order is established.
I want to smash that little puff ball (in a nice way).

Last edited by STONE; 05-06-2006 at 12:43 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:40 PM

Oh yeah one more thing!! you need to respect the pecking order as well to avoid fights. WHen giving treats always give the dominant dog treats first, feed it first, greet it first etc.
Haha I'm not an expect but I've grown up with APBTs and read countless books on showing, schutzen (spelling?, its german attack down training), behavior etc. Its a little scary when two are in a battle for dominance. The worst thing that can happen is both are deadset in being the alpha dog. Endless fights and lots of stitches.
I know it sounds mean but if you think about it feeding, petting, greeting the sub dog second is really no big deal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Account not activated

Send a message via AIM to boganz45
Hah, nice vid, makes me want to get another dog for my pup to have as a friend. Later,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:26 PM

Nice vid , looks totally normal to me too , I've got 2 pits and a jack russell , I think they'll be just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode