Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

I Am Done!!!! Biotch!!!!

After over two months of jury duty, I am done If anyone wants to know about asbestos and cancer, just ask :r1budha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:51 PM

did it have anything to do with mesothelioma? my gf's grandfather was just diagnosed - 2 months to live...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM

I live 30 minutes form Abestos, where they have the amiante mines. It's been proof that it cause amiantose, but cancer??? Are you sure?? Some of the peoples who worked there have amiantose (a kind of lungs problems), not cancer.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
I dont inhale

it causes pulmonary fibrosis, and can cause lung cancer

anytime you have repeated repairing of cells in an area it increases the chances that your body is going to make a bad cell that will multiply , cancer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 PM

I dont know all the technical terms but it causes the lining of your lungs to separate from the walls - once the cancer kicks in, your body can't repair itself fast enough and you basically suffocate. They've gotta do multiple chemo treatments in a very short period of time which keeps the victims in constant pain. My gf's grampa gets some pretty large morphine injections several times a day which he says just takes the 'edge' off the pain...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinR1
did it have anything to do with mesothelioma? my gf's grandfather was just diagnosed - 2 months to live...
Yes, mesothelioma. Thats cancer in the lining of the stomach, heart, lungs. Nasty stuff, there's no way to treat it. Causes of known cases of mesothelioma are asbestos, cotton and fiberglass fibers.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT
Yes, mesothelioma. Thats cancer in the lining of the stomach, heart, lungs. Nasty stuff, there's no way to treat it. Causes of known cases of mesothelioma are asbestos, cotton and fiberglass fibers.
not to sound greedy, but I assume the victim had it and sued an employer/business...? If so, what did he/she win? feel free to pm me if you want. We're not looking to win any extra money - just an apology and some help with the medical bills
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny2Wheels
I live 30 minutes form Abestos, where they have the amiante mines. It's been proof that it cause amiantose, but cancer??? Are you sure?? Some of the peoples who worked there have amiantose (a kind of lungs problems), not cancer.
We heard extensive expert testimony about the canadian asbestos miners. I think your trying to say "amosite" asbestos. Asbestosis is a disease of the lungs. Asbestosis is scarring of the lungs and I think is a marker for future lung cancer. The miners and thier families were affected with cancer because the miners would inhale the asbestos, then bring it home on their clothes, in their hair, basically they were covered with asbestos fibers. They would go home, hug the wife, play with the kids and so on. Asbestos fibers are so small that one fiber can stay afloat in stagnant air for 5-6 hours!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut
it causes pulmonary fibrosis, and can cause lung cancer

anytime you have repeated repairing of cells in an area it increases the chances that your body is going to make a bad cell that will multiply , cancer.

I'm pretty sure that process is called Anuploidy. The problem is that damaged cells don't die like they're supposed to and keep on growing and living. The experts think that a chemical reaction excreted from macrofages that envelops the asbestos fibers are the cause of cell mutation.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:07 PM

i hope to never have jury duty...my parents have done it quite a few times...and it sux
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinR1
not to sound greedy, but I assume the victim had it and sued an employer/business...? If so, what did he/she win? feel free to pm me if you want. We're not looking to win any extra money - just an apology and some help with the medical bills
There are extensive research and studies on the miners in medical journals and peer reviewed articals in epidimiology studies. I'm sure you can google for info which we weren't able to do until now. Here are some of the dates and authors.

Study of diseases in population epidimiology "state of the art"

1927 cooke "asbestosis"
1930 merewether
1931 asbestos industry registry
1933 merewether
1938 dreesen
1939 sayer's & dreesen follow up paper
1941 brown end users study
1946 fleisher drinker study of insulators
1946 ACGIH - TLV
1949 JAMA editorial
1955 Doll asbestosis
1960 wagner-mesothelioma "crocidolite"
1964 selikoff - insulators
1964 public health dept. objectives document
1965 selikoff published papers - 2 questions 1) mesothelioma in america 2) all due to crocidolite
1970 OSHA act created NIOSH & OSHA

Hope all this helps.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldscholVett&R1
i hope to never have jury duty...my parents have done it quite a few times...and it sux
It was cool.
1) I got to learn from experts that were getting paid $500 an hour, about 12 of them.
2) I got paid from my work the whole time I was out.
3) I just sat there listening and taking notes.
4) no physical labor involved like at my job, pulling muscles and shit.
5) the court paid us $17.50 a day (on top of my regular pay.)
6) the judge let us eat and drink in court
7) we got one and a half hour lunch breaks.
8) was in court for 6 hours vs. 8 hours with only 30 minute lunch at my regular job.
I could go on, but for me it was a vacation plus asbestos is some serious stuff that i can let my friends know about.....like you guys.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 PM
FAsT BOYS

i wish i could go on jury duty
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT
It was cool.
1) I got to learn from experts that were getting paid $500 an hour, about 12 of them.
2) I got paid from my work the whole time I was out.
3) I just sat there listening and taking notes.
4) no physical labor involved like at my job, pulling muscles and shit.
5) the court paid us $17.50 a day (on top of my regular pay.)
6) the judge let us eat and drink in court
7) we got one and a half hour lunch breaks.
8) was in court for 6 hours vs. 8 hours with only 30 minute lunch at my regular job.
I could go on, but for me it was a vacation plus asbestos is some serious stuff that i can let my friends know about.....like you guys.

well...if u put it that way....where do i sign up....
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:49 AM
7c Forever

how hazardous is asbestos insulation man? is it true that if it's already in, it's more or less safe, better to leave it than to fuck with it and get it in the air?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 AM

Glad that doesn't exist over here
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 AM

Jury duty that is, asbestos we do have
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
how hazardous is asbestos insulation man? is it true that if it's already in, it's more or less safe, better to leave it than to fuck with it and get it in the air?
yes and no
if it's in and in good repair, then it is best to leave it.
However, as the actual insulation covering breaks down, it can cause the fibers to freely mix into the air and this is when it becomes dangerous to humans.

Having it removed is a major pain in the ass both in terms of the containment and special requirements for disposal as well as the cost to have it removed.
Only liscensed contractors can do it, each "bag" of material removed is tagged and goes into a special place awaiting proper destruction.

I've been through it in both a home and a cuuple of businesses.

it's not fun at all.

It approaches nuclear waste for regulatory control of debris....
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
I've seen the removal of some of that shit for buildings...and other buildings that were just locked up and abandoned because it was deemed easier to so that than fully remove it. Not a job I would want to do.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior
Like budha said, if it's in good shape, leave it alone. Unless you have a couple of hundred bucks per foot to remove it. In urban areas, asbestos is everywhere. It's in the air we breathe (mostly from vehicle brake pads and shoes), in the tap water we drink (northern california, water supply pipe made from concrete and asbestos). Asbestos is a mineral, mined from rocks. The experts say that asbestos is dose dependant, meaning that longer/higher the exposure = greater the risk of cancer, but they are not 100% sure <--- my feeling on this. On a side note, all those experts are 100% sure that smoking cigarettes causes cancer
It's safe to say that "ALL" dust is bad for you! Wear a respirator while doing dusty things and get a water filter for your faucet. Wish I woulda wore a respirator those 12 years I worked in a tire shop.

Last edited by DSMPILOT; 05-18-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode