Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Typing on your blackberry while driving

Does anyone here do that? I went on a sales call with one of our field travellers today and she started typing a response to someone's email on her blackberry WHILE DRIVING. She told me that ALL the field travellers do that because they just don't have time to answer all their emails since they're on the road all the time. I couldn't believe it. I reminded her that it only takes a second to be distracted and cut someone off or, worse yet, hit someone........especially someone on a bike. I also reminded her that my son lost his life because of someone that wasn't paying attention and I'm hoping that my message to her sunk in.

To anyone that does this, PLEASE STOP !!! Take the time to pull over or wait until you get to your destination. It could save a life.

I plan on going to my General Manager when I get back to work on Monday and seeing if a "no typing on your blackberry while driving rule" can be enforced. I will use my son as an example in the hopes that the seriousness of this might reach him.

Like I said, it only takes a second to end a life, including your own, so please be careful and pay attention to the road at all times.

FYI. The reason I'm not going to work tomorrow is because I have a memorial ride to attend. Kevin passed away on May 20th a year ago and I will be there to show support to his mom. NO parent should ever have to go through this when it's something that could have been avoided.

I'm climbing off my soap box now and hope that some will heed my advice. I've been to 6 funerals in the last 3 years of kids under the age of 30, and never want to have to attend another of someone so young.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Joey Lott - One of the greatest gifts of my life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
phil-osepher

great points Lori. People have time, if they want to make time. Hands free calling is about as "safe" as it gets while driving, and even that isn't safe.

People talk about being "swamped" and "busy" like it's some kind of badge of honor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Behind you 100% on this Lori. Just tonight on our local news, there was a story of a man on a bicycle who was killed today when a woman driving an SUV decided to read her mail while driving. People are ridiculous these days. And unfortunately most will not learn untill it's too late. Good luck getting your policy enforced at work!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
People talk about being "swamped" and "busy" like it's some kind of badge of honor.
I completely agree Phil. I am normally a very kick back, easy going person, but when I saw Mary (my co-worker) doing this today, I went off on her. I'm sure she was pretty shocked at my reaction (as were the other 3 people that were in the car with us), but if my message got through, it was well worth it. I DID apologize to her for snapping, but it was something that is obviously very close to my heart and, hopefully, she understood. I do know, for sure, that she will NEVER do that in front of me again

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:44 PM

Ihad the pleasure of watching a cell phone toting corolla rear end a cent truck today. Dude was yacking away as he passed me I saw what was about to happen hit the horn and the brakes. Just as I thougt would happen did about 50 before impact numbnuts hit the brakes. Probably 100 feet too late.

Hes bruised up pretty good and pissed himself but otherwise ok.

The grin on the cops face while telling him what I saw. PRICELESS
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
VERY good point.. good thread... totally agree.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
That would insane. No one is that busy, I don't care what they say.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Ask the Chief

doesn't surprise me in the least.

seen people reading books while driving.

just friggin stupid.

hope that message you were typing was important as you get carted off to PRISON for manslaughter after you ran over a few kids you didn't see.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
doesn't surprise me in the least.

seen people reading books while driving.

just friggin stupid.

hope that message you were typing was important as you get carted off to PRISON for manslaughter after you ran over a few kids you didn't see.

putting on Makup is illegal now too, at least it is in Cali (while Driving ..that is)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1stunner
putting on Makup is illegal now too, at least it is in Cali (while Driving ..that is)
ddid they really need to make a law for that?

i'm sure there was a "Distracted Driving" law already on the books......
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I talked to my General Manager on Monday and asked if, at our next regional meeting, we could bring up the subject of typing on blackberries while driving. He gave me the "go ahead", so here's what I plan on saying. I know it's a long read, but any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

As many of you know, getting up in front of a group of people is definitely not one of my favorite things to do, so to prevent my stuttering and falling over my words, I decided to write them down and read them instead. If you see tears (although Iíve become quite proficient at holding them back), itís because this is something that is very close to my heart.

As you have obviously figured out, I went to Mike and asked if this subject could be discussed at todayís meeting. About a week or so ago, I discovered that some of you respond to emails on your blackberry while driving. I have since asked several field travelers and several staff managers if they do this and was surprised to hear that MANY of you have done this at least once. To those I asked, I appreciate your honesty in your responses.

I know that when we get behind the wheel of our cars, our first thought is not ďwhat are the possible consequences if we are distracted while drivingĒ. No one EVER thinks that they could be the cause of an accident or, worse yet, that they could be the cause of taking someoneís life. That only happens to other people. Well, Iím here to tell you thatís not true. There ARE consequences that are suffered because of otherís distractions. I lost my son because someone was not putting their complete concentration into their driving. It certainly was not this manís intention to cut my son off, but do you think that mattered to me and to all those whose lives were changed in that instant. There IS no second chance when someone dies. What is left is an excruciating pain and an indescribable feeling of emptiness that is felt every day for the rest of your life.

For those of you who have children, I ask you to go home and just watch your kids and think about how enriched they have made your lifeÖÖÖÖÖ.then close your eyes and try to imagine your world without them. You canít do it, because itís unimaginable. I canít even begin to tell you how my life changed. Iím not the same person I was, and I never will be. To those that donít have kids, try to imagine life without a brother, sister, or parent. Again, itís unimaginable. Before my son died, I used to read about these kinds of accidents in the newspaper. Of course I thought how sad that was, but then Iíd get in my car and do some of the very same things that caused these accidents. Not anymore!!! Now I see these articles and I cry because I know what these families are going through and I wouldnít wish it upon anyone, especially upon people that I care about.

Iím not bringing up Joey to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Iím bringing him up to hopefully convince you that any distraction while driving can result in devastating consequences, not only to others, but to yourself as well, even if you just take your eyes off the road for a second.

Since this is such a numbers oriented company, I thought Iíd share a few statistics that I found on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. Nearly 80% of crashes and 65% of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within 3 seconds before the event. The US gets an average of 42,000 car crash related deaths per year. To break that down for you, thatís about 115 deaths PER DAY. To me, that means that at least 80% of all those crashes, which would amount to 92 fatalities a day, could have been avoided. Thatís 92 families a day that have to suffer the pain of unnecessarily losing someone they love.

I understand that sometimes, there just doesnít seem to be enough time to respond to all the emails that I know you receive on a daily basis, but I also understand that if, God forbid, something ever happened and you were the cause of an injury or a fatality because of your inattention, you would never forgive yourselves. So, Iím begging all of you to please just pull over or wait until you get to your destination before starting to respond to your emails. Believe me, those 3 seconds you save is not worth that instant that you just MIGHT change someone elseís life in the worst possible way.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Excellent Lori. I think this will mean so much more coming from you than from anyone else. I really hope they listen closely to you.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast
I think this will mean so much more coming from you than from anyone else. I really hope they listen closely to you.
I sure hope so, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode