Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

well it's official

http://senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ro...n=2&vote=00131

english is the official language of the united states. ha

notice the names below that voted no , why am I not suprised

Well color me abso****inglutely shocked:

Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
Lieberman (D-CT), Nay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 AM

uh oh... better duck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
it's about time it got voted the official language. i have no problem with others speaking other languages, but the only thing that drives me nuts is when this is our language and to understand some workers at major national businesses (not their own family owned thing) i have to speak a diff language. it's frustrating to say the least. not so much up here in MN, but when i lived in cali it was pretty frustrating at times...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Mummy Man

i'm a replublican also (i agree and disagree w/ both parties on some issues though), but i think a democratic will be in office after bush. bush really hurt the party and i'm curious if mccain will run and try and build the party up again. the war though will be the biggest issue and i'm curious if the republican nominee will back staying there...if he does i doubt he'll get into office at this point. be very interesting

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Ta Moko

:badg :smilefing Nader rules

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 PM

i dont believe our children, employers, and businesses should be forced to speak another language in order to communicate with criminals who fail to assimilate into american society
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Mummy Man

not all are criminals, but at the same time i think politicians need to stop worrying about votes and do what they truly think. i hate politics...i don't think the english language will ever go away though. for one look at what our government speaks they allow so much, but i think the english language will always be here to stay...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM

personally, the part that pisses me off, is the amount of money that gets spent to produce all of the government forms in multiple languages.

and that is what this law is designed to combat.
It states that all government paperwork will be filed in english, and that it is not required (although it is allowed) to be translated into other languages.

no different than me going to Germany a few years back.
Many things were available in english, but when i needed to communicatew, i either learned enough of the language to do so (very little) or i had someone with me to act as translator.

That is all this is doing.

It is not saying that schools cant do certain things, it is not saying that people must speak english.

It is saying that all government paperwork and notifications will be done in english. and any other language support is secondary at best.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM

When I first moved to MN Icouldnt understand some of Hutchinson English.Ha ha
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
When I first moved to MN Icouldnt understand some of Hutchinson English.Ha ha
kind of like moving to Mississippi and trying to understnad their drawl...

"what the hell did you just say?!?!?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode