Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Photo Gear?

I'm trading in my old 20D for this one.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

Which lens should I get?

This!?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...P=OTC-d3alt1me

Or this!? I can't afford both right now
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=234444&is=USA

I do have a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is usm for a walk around lens right now, but i could always return it. So if you guys could have only one of those L lenses right now, which would it be?
LP? 2000750?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Ask the Chief

hey bro,

i'm running a 17-85 IS lens and the 70-200 2.8 you linked to.

the 17-85 is an AWESOME piece of gear, very crisp pics.

the 70-200 (non-IS) is awesome for reaching out a bit. i've had very good luck with it so far. unfortunately, for what i really want to shoot, i need at least a 400mm lens. i'm running a 1.4x right now, and have had people suggest running a 2.0x. using a doubler that big will definitely slow the lens down a couple stops, so i've stayed away from it.

not really sure if the 70-200 IS gives any better picture sharpness, since i've never used it. others might know. cost was prohibitive for me on that.

curious....why trade a 20D for a 30D? practically no difference, other than the LCD screen and a bit of camera software changes. same sensor, same body. why not go with the 5D to get the full sensor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
hey bro,

i'm running a 17-85 IS lens and the 70-200 2.8 you linked to.

the 17-85 is an AWESOME piece of gear, very crisp pics.

the 70-200 (non-IS) is awesome for reaching out a bit. i've had very good luck with it so far. unfortunately, for what i really want to shoot, i need at least a 400mm lens. i'm running a 1.4x right now, and have had people suggest running a 2.0x. using a doubler that big will definitely slow the lens down a couple stops, so i've stayed away from it.

not really sure if the 70-200 IS gives any better picture sharpness, since i've never used it. others might know. cost was prohibitive for me on that.

curious....why trade a 20D for a 30D? practically no difference, other than the LCD screen and a bit of camera software changes. same sensor, same body. why not go with the 5D to get the full sensor?

Because 5D=3G's and no flash Canon is screwing me on my rebate. I got back $60 out of the $430 I was supposed to get and i've been waiting since Jan. Besides, i'll get all my money back if I return it anyways, why not trade up? I like the bigger screen and 5fps. Were you the one who posted up the copter pics on the other forum?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
No Crying Allowed

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens

That is the one I would get. I have one with the same specs but for my Nikon and I love it so far. Although I have only taken a few hundred pics with it. Just not enough time these days.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
had a limited play with this lens... been working out how to get one since

my recommendation for lenses:

EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye
EF 50mm f1.4
EF 24-70 f2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
EF 400mm 2f.8L IS USM

That would be a perfect kit for me.

The shortlist would be the middle three.

If you're getting keen on upgrading, avoid EF-S lenses, as they won't work with the full frame cameras.

Out of them, I own the 50mm f1.4... absolutely amazing shots out of it

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT
Because 5D=3G's and no flash Canon is screwing me on my rebate. I got back $60 out of the $430 I was supposed to get and i've been waiting since Jan. Besides, i'll get all my money back if I return it anyways, why not trade up? I like the bigger screen and 5fps. Were you the one who posted up the copter pics on the other forum?
yep, i was

the 20D and 30D both shoot 5 fps....
the 5D shoots 3 fps
the 1Ds MKII N shoots 8.5 fps (fastest digital SLR)

that's why i was saying all you get is a bigger screen and a few more software gizmos. sorry you got screwed, bro.

i want a 1Ds MKII.....eventually.

gotta stop modding the bike first

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat
If you're getting keen on upgrading, avoid EF-S lenses, as they won't work with the full frame cameras.
very true...but that 17-85 is a jewel of a lens....

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
BabyEater

Quote:
very true...but that 17-85 is a jewel of a lens....
been a great walkaround lens for me... can't say i'd kick it to the kerb if given the option to keep it... but if you're looking at full frame, then it'd seem a pointless investment

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

This sounds like the lens for you firehawk.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
This sounds like the lens for you firehawk.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=27
i thought about getting that lens, but then i realized that using a 2x magnifier on my 70-200 2.8, i'd get the same zoom at the same f stop numbers. not really worth it.

i really want the 400mm 2.8 for shooting races. i'm going to rent one for the GP. it's a HUGE lens, and it's going to be a PITA to carry, but i'm hoping the pics turn out awesome....

did you decide what to go with?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i thought about getting that lens, but then i realized that using a 2x magnifier on my 70-200 2.8, i'd get the same zoom at the same f stop numbers. not really worth it.

i really want the 400mm 2.8 for shooting races. i'm going to rent one for the GP. it's a HUGE lens, and it's going to be a PITA to carry, but i'm hoping the pics turn out awesome....

did you decide what to go with?
I hear ya, but doesn't a tele converter diminish image quailty? I'm sure you'll get awesome results with that 400mm 2.8. I'm more confused as to which walk around lens to get after reading soo many reviews. It's a toss up between the 28-70mm f/2.8L and the 24-105 f/4L IS. I will mostly use it to "walk" around and snap whatever i find interesting. From the reviews i read, i get the impression that the 28-70mm is a better lens as far as image quality. I'm diggin the IS that the 24-105mm has. I've gone to indoor events where they don't allow flash and the IS has kicked ass in that respect because i did'nt use a tripod. I am such a noob that i'm just now starting to shoot in the manual modes. The question is can I compensate for camera shake with ISO and shutter speed if I go with the 28-70mm, and would i be able to take good low light pics without a tripod? The 24-105mm has IS which would be more forgiving in low light situations, i guess which it would need more for f/4. I've taken pictures in low light with the 18-55mm kit lens and half of them came out blurry with the slower shutter speeds
So yeah, i'm confused. I want one of them but which one? But i did decide on the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS for my next lens tho
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:50 PM
BabyEater

Quote:
So yeah, i'm confused. I want one of them but which one? But i did decide on the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS for my next lens tho
sweet choice

the f4 IS would only compensate two stops neways... which would make it at best the equivolent of the non IS f2.8

if that's the deciding factor, i hope i've shoved you towards the f2.8

seriously, go the L class lens... hmm, L

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Phat
seriously, go the L class lens... hmm, L
damn skippy.

L series is the poop.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Just found this store looking for cheap prices. What do you guys think? I sent them an email asking about the new or factory fresh statement on the product pages.
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/welcome.html
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 PM
No Crying Allowed

Be real careful with online camera shops, you normally get what you pay for. There are a lot of bad sites out there.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
Be real careful with online camera shops, you normally get what you pay for. There are a lot of bad sites out there.....
Thanks R1lover, I'm kinda weary of that site but the prices are soo cheap Guess I'll pay a couple hundred more to a reputable site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode