Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

View Poll Results: Go for it?
Yes 3 75.00%
Hell No 0 0%
Just stay with your job now 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
I may have a new job

I say this because I do not know if I would want to take it. It is a dream job in the long run but at first i'll have to start at the bottom like everyone else. Bottom meaning that i'll more than likely have an overnight shift, i'll be taking $4000 a year pay cut and I will have to relocate (Northern Wisconsin) The advancements would be huge. The other catch is that it is not a very stable line of work right now.(Airlines)
The Job I am currently in now is that I am as far as I could get and not getting paid worth shit. But I do not have any real responsibility but surf the MOTO Mummy Forum often..hehe it is a fully state funded job so it is very secure. Question is do I go for it and all for broke or let it pass and start a different career?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
It's hard to decide for somebody else, not knowing if you have family responsibilities. If you don't and can afford to take the pay cut, then go for it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
BabyEater

Send a message via MSN to Lord_Phat
people will always need to travel, ergo; flying

i wouldn't stress too much about the longevity of the role... if it's what you want, go for it... i took a 50% pay cut a few years ago, so i figure you can wear a $4000 decrease

prejudices are what fools use for reason
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 07:44 PM

I just sold my half of a company and took a massive pay cut (80%) because I saw the market heading down the toilet... plus I was bored out of my mind

new job is much better - in more ways than one and I'm finally, for the first time in several years, happy with my career choice. things are a bit tight money wise but should be back to normal by christmas and theres plenty of chances for more

take the leap. if you dont, you'll regret it the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
we meat again

hmmm... that's a hard decision man, espeically when there are bills to pay... but if you can handle, for sure take something for the long run...

In Chinese proverb we say:

"Sometimes take a step backward can bring you a few steps forward..."

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi
hmmm... that's a hard decision man, espeically when there are bills to pay... but if you can handle, for sure take something for the long run...

In Chinese proverb we say:

"Sometimes take a step backward can bring you a few steps forward..."

Just decided today that at this time I could not even afford to goto the interview. With fuel costs I am looking at min $70 for the trip there and back. I took a 50%+ pay cut 4years back and have been stuggling since then. So to take another paycut would be the hardest thing at this point to do. So at this point forward I am looking for another career path, get back in school and maybe get in Electronics/ Computers.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 AM
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Flyby
Just decided today that at this time I could not even afford to goto the interview. With fuel costs I am looking at min $70 for the trip there and back. I took a 50%+ pay cut 4years back and have been stuggling since then. So to take another paycut would be the hardest thing at this point to do. So at this point forward I am looking for another career path, get back in school and maybe get in Electronics/ Computers.
you dont need to go to school to get into computers...

in fact i would recommend against it as by the time you graduate, you'd be one of a million educated-in-the-wrong-products people who have no practical experience.

better idea wouold be to gain practical experience by learning as may different types of systems as possible.

Figure out what you want to do, and then go learn that type of job.

Basic MIS graduates are useless as they have tons of book knowledge and no practical knowledge.

Want to get a job?
Go learn MS Exchange, MS Project, MS Virtual Server, VMWare virtual Server, and throw in some Linux like Debian, or Red Hat (2 most popular in the US).
Maybe even take the time to really learn Linux. As it is the one thing that can pretty much guarantee you a job if you know a good bit.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
you dont need to go to school to get into computers...

in fact i would recommend against it as by the time you graduate, you'd be one of a million educated-in-the-wrong-products people who have no practical experience.

better idea wouold be to gain practical experience by learning as may different types of systems as possible.

Figure out what you want to do, and then go learn that type of job.

Basic MIS graduates are useless as they have tons of book knowledge and no practical knowledge.

Want to get a job?
Go learn MS Exchange, MS Project, MS Virtual Server, VMWare virtual Server, and throw in some Linux like Debian, or Red Hat (2 most popular in the US).
Maybe even take the time to really learn Linux. As it is the one thing that can pretty much guarantee you a job if you know a good bit.

Thanks Budha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode