Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Need a New Cell Phone

I'm up for suggestions. My current carrier is Verizon. I don't really have any major complaints about them - but their phone selection is a little uninspiring.

I have a Blackberry - but my employer refuses to let anyone use them for email so I'm paying $45 a month extra for the data package I can't use.

Without email access, it's hard to justify the extra cost - plus the form factor isn't very convenient when strictly used as a phone.

I just need a phone with the ability to handle contact names and maybe even addresses. I don't really care if it plays streaming video, downloads music or can take a picture on the moon. Now if it bought me beers & provided oral, that might be a different story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Val provides that service free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScorpion
Now if it bought me beers & provided oral, that might be a different story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Biga; 06-08-2006 at 01:38 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Tell your employer that if you cant use it for your own e-mail your not gonna pay for it and hand it back to them. Thats almost 600 bucks a year. Or two sets of tires.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 PM

I got the Nokia 6682...was $400 but worked out to be $50 with rebates and thats a $50 check to me....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Ta Moko

I have a cheap Virgin Mobil phone, Its pay as you go which I really like. Only cost me 20 bucks

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Here's mine from Verizon....http://www.samsung.com/Products/Mobi...?page=Features

But it's really everything you said you don't need, so no help there. It can handle email and has a browser. Don't think it can store addresses (other than email). The speaker phone is nice, as well as having the transflash card for storage and Bluetooth, but again, if it's mainly for music and pictures, it doesn't do you much good.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
meat popsicle

our work gives us vx5200s, works fine, its a decidedly non-sexy phone though
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM

i have the LGVX8100 from verizon

it can handle a fair amount of contact informatiojn including multiple mobile #'s, home#, work#, email addys, etc for each contact.
it does not do addresses however as a field.
you could probably put it in there somewhere though

it does all the other crap, but i dont use it for that at all.

it also had better long range reception than the one eve posted when i tried them out side by side for a week
but it does have an external antenna (non sliding type)

i also like the speakerphone and it does have built in bluetooth for headsets and it can connect via bluetooth to a pc.
it takes the mini sd cards too, although i dont use it. and a 1 gb card is around $40 before rebates most times

they have a promotion on them right now too, so they are fairly cheap too.

your employer probably doesn't let you use the blackberry for email because they use exchange and the software to interface blackberries with exchange is spendy and sold on a per seat basis.

i've played with a treo 700w and they appear to be better than the older non windows mobile treos, nad that is wht i would get if i really needed it for true use as a pda/phone
but i dont
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 08:20 PM
phil-osepher

hmmmmm
I dont even know what phone I have, its a flip phone that came free with my plan. It makes calls and stuff, recently the camera portion broke but I dont even care lol

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
hmmmmm
I dont even know what phone I have, its a flip phone that came free with my plan. It makes calls and stuff, recently the camera portion broke but I dont even care lol
i dont even know how to use the camera on mine........

and i dont care......
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 AM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha
i dont even know how to use the camera on mine........

and i dont care......
I think I'm going to buy a Treo, so I can
1-wear it on my belt loop, but make sure it is exposed so everyone can see it
2-constantly mess with it in public, as if I am sending emails and conducting business
3-make sure to talk on it when I am in line at Starbucks, I will say things like: "sell 20,000 shares, and then set up that lunch with our line of business representative..."
4-I will ensure that when it rings, a loud song is set as the ringtone, something catchy from T.I or Nelly.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77
I think I'm going to buy a Treo, so I can
1-wear it on my belt loop, but make sure it is exposed so everyone can see it
2-constantly mess with it in public, as if I am sending emails and conducting business
3-make sure to talk on it when I am in line at Starbucks, I will say things like: "sell 20,000 shares, and then set up that lunch with our line of business representative..."
4-I will ensure that when it rings, a loud song is set as the ringtone, something catchy from T.I or Nelly.
you forgot the part about ensureing that you always have it to your ear at every moment when driving.....

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 05:47 PM
meat popsicle

don't forget to talk really loud in public places

http://daotan.googlepages.com/BL110.mp3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode