Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

04-05 TPS problems

hey guys, anyone have any info on the TPS problem on 04-05 R1? My friend has dropped her bike twice now, once on each side because her bike cut out on her in mid turn. My bike has cut out on me twice also, going straight across intersections, almost got rearended once. I feel sorry for my friend because her bike was cherry with only 1000mi on it. I know it's not her because she's been riding for about 5 years now. 4 years on her R6 and 1 year on her bro's 02R1. I trust her abilities so much that I even let her borrow my bike from time to time. This stalling problem has never happened to her before. My bikes an 04R1, 8500mi. Her bikes an 05R1, 1000mi. She bought it from the northern cali regional rep from yamaha. I'm trying to get that reps number to pick his brain to find out what he knows about the TPS issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Streets = Track for me.

As far as I knew, the problem was on the '04's with a build date before 03/2004.

I never had any problems with my '04, and my '05 hasn't had any yet.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 01:07 AM
No Crying Allowed

There are some 05's I have heard of with the issue also....

To be truthful Yamaha still does not know what the issue is..... they are replacing parts until it goes away... some cases it comes back and others it doesn't.

Another reason I sold my 04

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:50 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Did you actually have the problem? To this date I have not had this problems and sometimes wonder if people just screw around with their bikes adjusting and fixing things that don't need to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER
There are some 05's I have heard of with the issue also....

To be truthful Yamaha still does not know what the issue is..... they are replacing parts until it goes away... some cases it comes back and others it doesn't.

Another reason I sold my 04

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga
Did you actually have the problem? To this date I have not had this problems and sometimes wonder if people just screw around with their bikes adjusting and fixing things that don't need to be fixed.
Well, my bike has a full arata pipe and pcIII. My friends bike is bone stock. My build date is 1/04. It is a shame that yamaha doesn't know what the problem is because this is a great safety concern. What if you were in one of those go or not go situations and decided to go, then your bike cuts out in mid turn? :jimmie My bike has the hot start problem where it idles rough and low after turning off the bike for a few minutes and then restarting it. I have to let it idle for 10 secs for it to clear before taking off or it dies. Feels like it's running way rich or a leaky injector symptom. Might just have to buy the new R1 when it eventually comes out if they haven't figured out the prob. I really love my bike too
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 AM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga
Well I never had it to the extent the others have, but it did act up a couple of times..... I tried to ignore it and hoped it would go away...... I didn't get the chance to ride it very much so I never had the experience again.

YES I think it's BS of Yamaha................ They should find the problem and fix all of them warranty or not.... it should be fixed for free.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
The only reason I find this as an odd problem is because some bikes have it, some don't.
That is why I think it is a tinker problem, could be wrong though.

My wife for example says I'm always wrong. :

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

From the other forum.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ccs22
To those who have never ridden 2 strokes or are new in general, learn to use the clutch lever as the first reaction to a stall or seize. It kills me to hear these stories of you street guys wrecking thousands of dollars in plastics... on an R1 I'd almost cover the clutch at all times, damn shame on such a fine motorcycle that a stupid thing like this could ruin an entire bike experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have my hand on the clutch lever while taking off from a stop. It's when your clutch is all the way out and your going good, then the bike stalls is where the problem is. Feels like the brakes locked up, until you feel that sensation of your nuts hitting the tank is when you pull that clutch in. I don't know about you but i got that clutch in within a second. I feel sorry for my friend because she was commited in her turns, leaned over, going 5-10mph. How fast would your reaction times have to be in order to save that? I've got 20+ years of riding experience under my belt and she's got 5 years. I do agree with you that it is a damn shame, A DAMN SHAME ON YAMAHA.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
on the r1forum this was covered extensively as many had this problem. it's not just you!

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to rickr6
well i had it on my bike from 8000 km on....but i got used to it and only change it last month since my warranty was ending didnt had a problem since....but time will tell if that was enough....from my experience whit it its a major pain in the ass at hot days for sure...but i have learned to work around it....for me just paying atention to the idle speed going down really fast and all of the sudden in gear shifts was enough warning to turn off the key to reset the ecu....I never had any scares or anything...i just got really paranoid about the idle when the bike is hot on a hot day

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
on the r1forum this was covered extensively as many had this problem. it's not just you!
Yeah, i know. I remember when that thread first started. I've read pretty much all of those 75 pages. Altho it was covered extensively on the other forum, there is still not a positive fix. There are multiple symptoms and a process of elimination fixes. I trust people here more so i thought i'd ask here.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:19 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
TPS reports?????

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 08:40 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMPILOT
From the other forum.

quote:
Originally posted by ccs22
To those who have never ridden 2 strokes or are new in general, learn to use the clutch lever as the first reaction to a stall or seize. It kills me to hear these stories of you street guys wrecking thousands of dollars in plastics... on an R1 I'd almost cover the clutch at all times, damn shame on such a fine motorcycle that a stupid thing like this could ruin an entire bike experience.

I gotta say I find that insulting of him. When in mid corner if the bike suddenly shuts off the suspension changes and the bike will dip into the turn fast, often times too fast to grab the clutch and down you'll go. Us street guys lean over way further than the dirt guys do, and even a little shudder in the bike can cause it to hit the ground with no warning.

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony
I gotta say I find that insulting of him. When in mid corner if the bike suddenly shuts off the suspension changes and the bike will dip into the turn fast, often times too fast to grab the clutch and down you'll go. Us street guys lean over way further than the dirt guys do, and even a little shudder in the bike can cause it to hit the ground with no warning.
If that happened to me I would sue someone.

I am not sure what my mfgr date but I dont have the problem...just about 4000 miles
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony
Those are my exact thought's but kept it cool. Yeah, that guy was gonna order the TPS's also. I was gonna tell him he don't need it because his reflexes were soo quick
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpntpool
If that happened to me I would sue someone.

I am not sure what my mfgr date but I dont have the problem...just about 4000 miles
That would be a last resort if the dealer doesn't own up! Both sides of her bike is rashed now, lucky she had enough balance/strength to let the bike down as slowly as she could. She's about 5'4" and 110-115lbs. I don't think they're gonna do a recall, it's been over two years already.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 AM
BANNED

bullshit...1st thing I would do is call an injury lawyer

you/she doesnt have a chance in hell in getting it taken care of properly, get a big stick (lawyer) and go after them...its not really a dealer issue...its Yamaha

they won't do a recall until they get sued
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i would make yami own up to it to be honest...they haven't admitted any fault in the problem so far but it's affected many people.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Streets = Track for me.

Well..........I put 30,000 miles on my '04 without one single problem.

I now have 9,400 miles on my '05. I started to have the tell-tale signs of the TPS problem while getting stuck in stop and go traffic. My bike goes into the dealer next Friday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode