Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Superman Returns movie review

Went and saw a matinee showing of it today. As usual with a movie like this, you never know when to believe the hype. But I've got to say, I liked it. I think they did a damn good job with the story. It was more along the lines of the original Superman movie, than the later stupid ones (like the one with Richard Pryor). Had at least one cameo too, the guy that played Jimmy Olsen in the 50's tv series had a small part in this one.

I think what made the story good was that they stayed away from being "campy" with it. They didn't rely on wise cracks and gimmicks to make this one work. Although they didn't give a full explanation of what happened from the end of Superman 4 untill this one, they do fill in a few gaps. One thing in particular is revealed that had everyone in the movie theater going "Ohhhh....Thats what happened." lol. There were several points where they could have done the obvious thing and followed the typical pattern of other super-hero type movies. But instead they stayed true to the story, and left out the gimmicks and cookie-cutter plot twists.

The casting, IMO, they got about half right. Kevin Spacey was a good Lex Luthor. Not an over the top ego-maniac....he was more of a subdued bad guy bent on vengeance this time. He didn't have the bumbling comic relief side-kick....didn't go on monologing like movie bad guys do, which was nice for a change.
For Superman, they couldn't have picked a better actor than Brandon Routh. After hearing the rumors about Nic Cage, I'm glad they wised up. This guy did Chris Reeves proud. He kind of looks like him, he sounds like him, he even had the same Kent-isms Reeves had. I just hope if they make any more Superman movies, they don't dumb him down like they did to Reeves in the later ones.
Kate Bosworth as Lois didn't really impress me. Nor did her character's story. I'll let you judge for yourself.
The rest of the cast was fairly inconsequencial, although it was funny seeing James Marsden (Cyclops from X-men) in this film. Jimmy Olsen was forgettable. Perry White was too nice. Parker Posey sucked as Lex's girlfriend.

Overall, this is a good one to see while it's still in theaters. Especially the very beginning, where they used the original score, it reminded me of when I was a kid seeing the first Superman when it came out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
, thanks for the review.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
they should have used the cast from SmallVille. Why change the cast? I mean come on in SmallVille Clark is already evolving to Superman..
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound
they should have used the cast from SmallVille. Why change the cast? I mean come on in SmallVille Clark is already evolving to Superman..
I never was a fan of Smallville, so I have no loyalty to the show or the actors in it. But from what little I did see, I don't think using them would stay true to the original story of Superman. Clark Kent and Lex Luthor went to the same little farm town high school? Then they both grow up to be arch enemies? Even in a fantasy world, what are the odds of that? Plus, you know the hard core enthusiasts never would have gone for it.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Faster and Better

I think the actors are better, bettter looking, and better everything lol.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Your not :ghey are you???? Cause smallville is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound
I think the actor are better, bettter looking, and better everything

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
I don't think that this movies takes over right after SM 4. I think I heard it bypasses 3&4, and is a sequal to #2. 3&4 were just made to be made, but little plot suspense. Supposedly he takes off after defeating Zod.

As for smallville: I'm a fan. This isn't supposed to be a true to the story plot line. Lex and Clark did not attend the same high school. As for the plot lines, this is a TV show. If clark became Superman right off, then the show would get stale quick. Instead the writers progress his developemnet slowly like it would be in a realistic timeline. He goes through high school, and his father dies, Lex is not bad from the start, but we get to watch him warp. Lana is in smallville just like all storys of her. Lois, makes her debut a bit early before he goes to metrpolis, but what is clark without her? (plus she's hot!) I think the writers are doing a good job with the plot lines here, and I been watching from the begining. Some one who just see's an episode may not understand the dynamics of that line.

I maybe lame for watching it, but it sure is a better show than "Lois and ClarK, The new adventures of Superman".

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Faster and Better

Its based after Superman 2
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM

nice...might just have to go check this movie out
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

I don't know anything about Smallville, so I'm not going to comment on it.

As far as when in the movies timeline this one picks up, it would fit best after #2, I agree. But unless you're willing to forget 3 and 4 were made, that wouldn't make sense. There are a couple things in this movie that would have to happen after any of the others if the story is to have any continuity of facts. What I mean is, if you ever sat down to watch all 5 right in a row, (disregarding actor changes) sticking the new one after #2, then 3 and 4 after it, just completely wouldn't make sense. When you see it you'll know why. I'm trying not to give away any spoilers if you haven't already read them. But as terrible as 3 and 4 were anyway, I wouldn't mind if they did just go away. They were just crappy excuses to crank out another movie that shouldn't have been made.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Faster and Better

hahaha im sure its not going with the storyline of the true story but I like the show. They got some hot females on there. Its a good show whether or not its following the exact storyline. The show seems to be doing great, been going on for over 5 seasons.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast
I don't know anything about Smallville, so I'm not going to comment on it.

As far as when in the movies timeline this one picks up, it would fit best after #2, I agree. But unless you're willing to forget 3 and 4 were made, that wouldn't make sense. There are a couple things in this movie that would have to happen after any of the others if the story is to have any continuity of facts. What I mean is, if you ever sat down to watch all 5 right in a row, (disregarding actor changes) sticking the new one after #2, then 3 and 4 after it, just completely wouldn't make sense. When you see it you'll know why. I'm trying not to give away any spoilers if you haven't already read them. But as terrible as 3 and 4 were anyway, I wouldn't mind if they did just go away. They were just crappy excuses to crank out another movie that shouldn't have been made.
I don't think they meant to slide this one in between 2&3, but replace 3&4 altoghether..

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Faster and Better

from what they were saying it starts off from 2 and then goes away from all the other story lines.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 PM

I'm just wondering if he had to wear a cod piece like Chris Reeves did.... lol

From what I understand, Chris' package kept moving from one side to the other so they opted to have him wear the cod piece so that every frame would be consistent...lol

just a little trivia, I'm leaving now....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawalker
I'm just wondering if he had to wear a cod piece like Chris Reeves did.... lol

From what I understand, Chris' package kept moving from one side to the other so they opted to have him wear the cod piece so that every frame would be consistent...lol

just a little trivia, I'm leaving now....

guys dont look at other guys package lol.......
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 PM

well, I guess now you know that I do....lol
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Faster and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawalker
well, I guess now you know that I do....lol
You two timing son of a ...... :laugh j/p :

Dont hurt me!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Mr.BlackBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony
I don't think they meant to slide this one in between 2&3, but replace 3&4 altoghether..
I'd have to agree after reading up on it. Supposedly the studio originally said it took place between II and III, but later recanted that. Here's some info on it:

Quote:
Singer has said that this film uses the first two films in the Superman film saga that began with 1978's Superman as a vague history to the events of Superman Returns. By establishing this film as taking place after the first two films, it fundamentally retcons Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. As such, there are many references to the first two films.
Read here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_Returns (warning: spoilers)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode