Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Selling on eBay

I have some stuff I'm going to throw out on eBay. Any tips? I've heard some people say never use a reserve because most bidders will be scared off and bidding usually stops once someone hits the reserve...? I dunno...

Stuff includes some B&W Speakers, SVS Subwoofer, Motorcycle etc etc. Not cheap. I don't want to just give it away, but at the same time I'd like to get it out of the garage...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Set a reserve for about 1/2 of what you want to let them go for...

that way you get some money and I have never heard of anyone getting scared away once the reserve is hit..

oh and make them pay for shipping on all of it for sure...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
7c Forever

be ready to ship it immediatly after, most ebay buyers expect shit shipped within hours (bastards).

that said, I'm lazy and usually say in my auctions "will ship within 7 days"

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM

You're going to put the Duc on ebay?

And how much do you want for the 57mm?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah - I'm thinking about putting the Duc up on eBay - hence my not wanting to part with it for less than whatever amount... I'd be beside myself if I didn't set a reserve and someone walked away at $18k...

If I had the stock system (like you reminded me I should have kept) I would easily set you up

*sigh* I'm still looking for ways to keep it... Lots of calls & emails but no qualified buyers...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScorpion
Yeah - I'm thinking about putting the Duc up on eBay - hence my not wanting to part with it for less than whatever amount... I'd be beside myself if I didn't set a reserve and someone walked away at $18k...

If I had the stock system (like you reminded me I should have kept) I would easily set you up

*sigh* I'm still looking for ways to keep it... Lots of calls & emails but no qualified buyers...
Yeah, don't put it on ebay without a fair reserve or you may end up regretting it

I really hope you can keep it
But if you don't, maybe i could send you the stock system plus some $$ and you would send me the the 57mm system
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
My .02 for you. I'm no "Superseller" or whatever, but I've been doing ebay for a few years. Hope some of this helps you.

**Reserve: I've always used the reserve for exactly what it's intended for...the bare minimum you'll take for an item. That way you're never stuck getting too little for it. Sometimes items don't sell, but oh well...at least you didn't just give it away.

**Pictures: Don't skimp on the pictures!! I can't stress that enough. I don't care if you host them yourself or pay ebay's fees to host them, but have good, clear pictures of your items. Even go as far as finding a good background to take the pics....a clean professional backdrop looks ten times better than seeing the items laying on your floor or bedspread. And the more professional you come across, the easier it will be to get people to trust you and bid on your items.
Maybe everybody's not as picky as me, but I won't even bid on an item if there's no pictures of it. And if given the choice between two items described as exactly the same, I'll pick the one with the clear pictures so that I'm sure of what I'm getting.

**Description: Try to come across as knowledgable and literate in your descriptions. I can't stand people that type descriptions the same way they would talk. Anyone ever heard of grammar and spelling? If someone is too much of an idiot to type a few paragraphs clearly enough that I can understand them, I'm sure as hell not going to buy anything off them. And be honest in your descriptions. If the item has a flaw...list it. It may not neccesarily stop people from buying. However, if you don't disclose it, you'll end up with bad feedback, which will stop people from buying off you in the future.

**Shipping: Do you're homework on shipping. Weigh the items and use the online shipping calculators to predetermine shipping costs. I always use USPS Priority. Ebay has it set up so that after I input the type of package and weight, all a pontential buyer has to do is input their zip code, and it will tell them how much shipping will be. And have the items ready to go as soon as you can after they're sold. Again, it comes down to feedback....if a seller's feedback all says "quick shipping", you can be pretty sure he'll get picked next time over someone who is "slow to ship". You can state your own policy in the shipping area...I usually put "Item will ship within 3 business days of end of auction"

**Protect Yourself: I've made a habit of only offering Priority shipping, in combination with Delivery Confirmation. Add the 50 cent charge for confirmation right into the shipping charges and don't give people the option not to take it. That way your never stuck with refunding money for an item that you shipped out, but they "claim" they never got. Also, I usually state Insurance is optional, but if it's refused, I won't be responsible for damaged items.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast
My .02 for you. I'm no "Superseller" or whatever, but I've been doing ebay for a few years. Hope some of this helps you.

**Reserve: I've always used the reserve for exactly what it's intended for...the bare minimum you'll take for an item. That way you're never stuck getting too little for it. Sometimes items don't sell, but oh well...at least you didn't just give it away.

**Pictures: Don't skimp on the pictures!! I can't stress that enough. I don't care if you host them yourself or pay ebay's fees to host them, but have good, clear pictures of your items. Even go as far as finding a good background to take the pics....a clean professional backdrop looks ten times better than seeing the items laying on your floor or bedspread. And the more professional you come across, the easier it will be to get people to trust you and bid on your items.
Maybe everybody's not as picky as me, but I won't even bid on an item if there's no pictures of it. And if given the choice between two items described as exactly the same, I'll pick the one with the clear pictures so that I'm sure of what I'm getting.

**Description: Try to come across as knowledgable and literate in your descriptions. I can't stand people that type descriptions the same way they would talk. Anyone ever heard of grammar and spelling? If someone is too much of an idiot to type a few paragraphs clearly enough that I can understand them, I'm sure as hell not going to buy anything off them. And be honest in your descriptions. If the item has a flaw...list it. It may not neccesarily stop people from buying. However, if you don't disclose it, you'll end up with bad feedback, which will stop people from buying off you in the future.

**Shipping: Do you're homework on shipping. Weigh the items and use the online shipping calculators to predetermine shipping costs. I always use USPS Priority. Ebay has it set up so that after I input the type of package and weight, all a pontential buyer has to do is input their zip code, and it will tell them how much shipping will be. And have the items ready to go as soon as you can after they're sold. Again, it comes down to feedback....if a seller's feedback all says "quick shipping", you can be pretty sure he'll get picked next time over someone who is "slow to ship". You can state your own policy in the shipping area...I usually put "Item will ship within 3 business days of end of auction"

**Protect Yourself: I've made a habit of only offering Priority shipping, in combination with Delivery Confirmation. Add the 50 cent charge for confirmation right into the shipping charges and don't give people the option not to take it. That way your never stuck with refunding money for an item that you shipped out, but they "claim" they never got. Also, I usually state Insurance is optional, but if it's refused, I won't be responsible for damaged items.

:imwst :imwst

good info eveR

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast

I agree with DJ here...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM

i have sold and bought tons of stufff...only got screwed once which was sorta by bad i was naive
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a million guys! You've been a ton of help!!!

MV - I will think about doing the swap - it's a pain in the azz to get the stock unit back on, swap ecu and filters and un-degree the cams... ugh!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScorpion
MV - I will think about doing the swap - it's a pain in the azz to get the stock unit back on, swap ecu and filters and un-degree the cams... ugh!
Ok, let me know what's your decison when you make one.
And don't think you have do un-degree the cams, althought i'm not sure??
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 09:39 AM

I got banned from ebay because back when paypal started.

I needed some money and didnt want to pay the credit card fee and ebay let me take money from my credit card and put it in my paypal without charging me. I did it for 5grand and they didnt like getting hit with the fee and banned my ebay account...

Probably a good thing since I have an issue with buying computer junk...and its probably saved me thousands of dollars over the past years
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i always put in there no reserve but state "this item is being sold locally and i reserve the right to end it at any time". if i don't like the directions it's at a few hours before the end...i close it

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey
i always put in there no reserve but state "this item is being sold locally and i reserve the right to end it at any time". if i don't like the directions it's at a few hours before the end...i close it

you cant close it if there is less than 12 hours...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump1979man
you cant close it if there is less than 12 hours...
i didn't know that....one thing ebay screwed up was not letting me respond to some messages when i was contacted about an item that didn't sell....it just flat out would not let me send any messages back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode