Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

'happiest Place On Earth'

BBC NEWS
Happiness doesn't cost the Earth
People can live long, happy lives without consuming large amounts of the Earth's resources, a survey suggests.

The 178-nation "Happy Planet Index" lists the south Pacific island of Vanuatu as the happiest nation on the planet, while the UK is ranked 108th.

The index is based on consumption levels, life expectancy and happiness, rather than national economic wealth measurements such as GDP.

The study was compiled by think-tank the New Economics Foundation (Nef).

Size doesn't matter

One of the authors, Nef's Nic Marks, said the aim of the index was to show that well-being did not have to be linked to high levels of consumption.

'HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH'
Population: 209,000
GDP/capita: $2,900 (1,575)
Climate: tropical
Resources: forests, fish
Economy: agriculture, tourism
Environmental issues: deforestation and clean water
Source: CIA Handbook 2006
"It is clear that no single nation listed in the index has got everything right, but it does reveal patterns that show how we might better achieve long and happy lives for all while living within our environmental means," Mr Marks said.

The small island state of Vanuatu is situated in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean, and has a population of 209,000. Its economy is built around small-scale agriculture and tourism.

Latin American nations dominate the top 10 places in the index, while African and Eastern European nations fill most of the bottom 10.

Among the world's largest economies, Germany is ranked 81st, Japan 95th, while the US comes in at 150th.

Richard Layard, director of the Well-Being Programme at the London School of Economics' Centre for Economic Performance, said that the index was an interesting way to tackle the issue of modern life's environmental impact.

"It reminds us that it is not good enough to be happy today if we are impoverishing future generations through global warming.

"Over the last 50 years, living standards in the West have improved enormously but we have become no happier," Mr Layard told the BBC.

"This shows we should not sacrifice human relationships, which are the main source of happiness, for the sake of economic growth."

Although Vanuatu tops the happiness index, it is ranked 207th out of 233 economies when measured against Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Simon Bullock, economics co-ordinator for Friends of the Earth, which helped compile the data, said the findings showed that happiness did not have to cost the Earth.

"The UK economy hoovers up vast quantities of the world's scarce resources, yet British people are no happier than Colombians, who use far fewer," he said.

"The current crude focus on GDP is outdated, destructive and doesn't deliver a better quality of life."

Nef is calling for the adoption of a "global manifesto for a happier planet" that will list ways nations can live within their environmental limits and increase people's quality of life. The recommendations include:

* Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger
* Recognising the contribution of individuals and unpaid work
* Ensuring economic policies stay within environmental limits

The index builds on a report that Nef published earlier this year that warned if annual global consumption levels matched the UK's, it would take 3.1 Earths to meet the demand.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...re/5169448.stm

Published: 2006/07/12 04:26:21 GMT

BBC MMVI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 AM

Hippie........

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Damn, I can't go there, I need a tree to dance around

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM

wow, a group of money hating blue bloods compiled a list to show how money isnt necessary to "be happy"........

and how the fuck would they know........

typical environmentalist, elitest snobbery.

do some research on the NEF and you might be amazed what they really are.......
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM

I heard a research project on the radio yesterday. They gauged people happiness in accordance to their income. they said there was no significant difference in overall happiness once income was above $12000 a year.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
I heard a research project on the radio yesterday. They gauged people happiness in accordance to their income. they said there was no significant difference in overall happiness once income was above $12000 a year.
Yeah, I'm not much happier after $12k Stone

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE
highly unlikely

considering the poverty level in america is about $20k depending on where you live....

I know I'm much happier know than when i lived in a shithole apartment with roomates, and made $20k a year working at Pizza Hut as a shift manager in 1994.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

12,000 a year? Can't "live' on that In the USA at least. Now you could do very well and be happy with that little in a place like Thailand, rent apartment for under 1,000 a year, cheap food, bar girls that will go home with you for 8$. Well that's just what I've read as I've never been their. Also not saying I would take a bar girl with aids lol. I'm sure there's a lot of decent woman there.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM

As long as they are decent on the outside and indecent in the bedroom bro :

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:25 AM

That's ominous, my dead zone sig pick has gone...OHHH FFFAAAAAAKKK

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 PM

Hey I'm not saying I could do it. I think thats my Tuna fish budget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode