Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
it's meeting not meating

Send a message via AIM to OldscholVett&R1
Steve Irwin killed....

looks like it is true.....

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060904/23/10ebv.html

Steve Irwin killed in stingray attack

By 7News Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin has been killed in a stingray attack near Cairns on Australia's far north coast.

It was believed Irwin had been swimming off the coast of Cairns when he was stung.
"It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest," Brisbane's Courier Mail reported this afternoon.
Irwin was best known for his documentary series "The Crocodile Hunter".
He was born in Victoria and found his love of animals after following in his father's footsteps, volunteering his services to the Queensland Government's East Coast Crocodile Management program.
He spent years living on his own in the mosquito infested creeks, rivers and mangroves of North Queensland, catching huge crocodiles single-handed.
In June 1992, he married American Terri Raines after they met when she visited Irwin's Australia Zoo. The 44-year-old is survived by his wife and two children, Bindi and Robert.

:gun ......I touch myself

"To dare is to dream. To fear is to fail. Live life in the now, for tomorrow may never come."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
No Crying Allowed

Damn.................. that sucks..... he was pretty entertaining.

RIP

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Petronas Yamaha?

Very Sad! That dude was crazy
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Ta Moko

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#_note-3

RIP Mate

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
That sucks arse big time...how unlucky is that to get the barb straight into his heart/causing cardiac arrest, anywhere else would have just screwed him up for awhile...bummer

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-29277,00.html

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
rip... sucks that it had to end by a stingray...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
considering what he has done.. thats nuts that he dies from something so rare

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 AM

wow!!!

May he R.I.P.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Wow, At first I was thinking that it was another prank. Like the one where he got bit by a snake while making a commercial.

R.I.P
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 AM
phil-osepher

oh wow......that sucks..

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Ya the guy was a total nut, specially when he was wrestling gators.

RIP

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Ta Moko

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...82-952,00.html

He died as he lived
Cameron Atfield, Brendan O'Malley and Jamie Walker
September 05, 2006 12:00am
Article from:
Font size: + -

STEVE Irwin, the boy from Beerwah, lived the life of a legend, becoming an internationally famous figure. Don't miss Brian Cassey's video of Steve's friend John Stainton and his moving tribute to his lost mate.
STEVE Irwin was his usual irrepressible self like a caged lion, his great friend John Stainton said after the weather turned nasty on the Great Barrier Reef.

He could have put those booted feet up, had another cup of tea, but that wasn't the Crocodile Hunter's way. If he couldn't work on his latest documentary on predators of the sea, then Irwin said he'd shoot some footage for a series featuring his precocious eight-year-old daughter Bindi.
Mr Stainton hardly gave it a thought. They had taken so many risks together, come through all manner of tight spots, that this seemed like just another day at the office at Batt Reef, northeast of Port Douglas in north Queensland. Instead, it was the day Irwin's charmed life came to an end in the most unlikely and saddest of ways.

Just after 11am, Irwin's heart was punctured by a bull ray's barb as he and a cameraman snorkelled in the shallows off Batt Reef. By noon he had been pronounced dead.

The water was alive with stingrays, some of them 2m across. Irwin singled out one of the creatures and dived down, possibly intending to latch on, the sort of derring-do that had earned him a world-wide audience of hundreds of millions and made him the most famous Australian alive.

The cameraman realised that Irwin was in trouble only when his blood began to stain the water.

Chances are Irwin, 44, was already beyond help. The stingray's barb had knifed through his chest, piercing his heart.

A distraught Mr Stainton said later Irwin had probably died instantly, so catastrophic was the injury.

"I don't think he would have felt any pain," Mr Stainton said. "It was a very unfortunate accident the way it happened. He came over the top of the ray and the barb came up."

Irwin was taken by dinghy to nearby Low Isles, an island nature reserve, where desperate attempts were made to resuscitate him. An emergency helicopter from Cairns reached the scene just after noon.

"It became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries," said Ed O'Loughlin, the Emergency Management Queensland doctor who tended Irwin. "He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."

News of Irwin's death was last night leading television news bulletins across the US, where the success of his Crocodile Hunter television series and spin-off movies had made him a household name.

As tributes flowed for his work as an environmentalist and wildlife advocate, Prime Minister John Howard indicated that Irwin could be honoured with a state funeral.

"He was a larrikin, yes, but he was a really warm-hearted bloke as well and he cared passionately about Australia and he cared passionately about the Australian environment," Mr Howard said. "I really do feel Australia has lost a wonderful and colourful son."

Opposition Leader Kim Beazley described Irwin as a "great ambassador for Australian larrikin values".

But Premier Peter Beattie said he would wait for the family to express its wishes before announcing whether there would be formal state recognition for Irwin.

The fatal encounter with the stingray is understood to have been captured on film.

Marine documentary maker Ben Cropp, who was also diving on the Great Barrier Reef yesterday, said the injury was inflicted by a bull ray.

"In this case he was swimming alongside a bull ray, a big black ray and the cameraman would have been in front, filming him," Cropp revealed, after speaking with a member of Irwin's production crew.

"Steve got probably maybe a bit too close to the ray, and with the cameraman in front, the ray must have felt sort of cornered."

He said the ray went into a defensive mode and lashed out with its tail, which has a considerable spike.

"Unfortunately Steve was directly in its path and he took a fatal wound," he said.

Irwin's wife, Terri, was in Tasmania bushwalking yesterday and had to be located by police to be told of his death. The body was taken to a Cairns mortuary, where it will undergo post-mortem examination before being released to the family.

Recalling his last conversation with Irwin, on board his launch Croc One yesterday morning over a cup of tea, Mr Stainton said they had been thrilled with a sequence shot on Sunday of Irwin cavorting with sea snakes.

But the weather was poor and Irwin, "like a caged lion" aboard the boat, had decided to shoot some footage for Bindi's show to fill in the time.

"It's the worst day of my life when you think about the documentaries we've made, all the dangerous situations we've been in," said Mr Stainton, who had worked with Irwin since his television career took off in the early '90s, making him a multi-millionaire.

In addition to Bindi, Irwin had a son, Bob, 3, with his American-born wife. Staff and visitors to their Australia Zoo complex, north of Brisbane, were leaving flowers and cards of sympathy in an outpouring of affection for Irwin.

News of Irwin's death reached Federal Parliament mid-afternoon yesterday, stunning MPs already farewelling former Democrat leader Don Chipp.

Mr Howard conferred briefly with a clearly emotional senior Queensland Liberal Mal Brough shortly before 2.30pm as the condolence motion for Mr Chipp was reaching an end.

Mr Brough, a close friend of Mr Irwin who lived in Mr Brough's Caboolture-based electorate, left the chamber while the news rippled along the front bench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg steve_irwin_12575_medium_105.jpeg (53.4 KB, 2 views)

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Ya the guy was a total nut, specially when he was wrestling gators.

RIP

This tragic death has effected people all over the world. Rwanda, Iran, India....http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/20.../d8jtro8o0.txt

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
yep saw it this morning! RIP Steve~

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
FAsT BOYS RACING

I couldn't believe this either. this is a huge loss he was one of the most enthusiastic people I've ever seen. SO sad that it was a dumb stingray of all things.. He accomplished a lot in his time.

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 AM
meat popsicle

he chose something he was passionate about and said screw it if the world thinks its too dangerous or whatever, some people say it was only a matter of time

sounds familiar no?

RIP croc dude
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:06 AM
BANNED

You can gamble but eventually the odds will win.

RIP
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 AM

Apparently he was swimming over the stingray, and the normally calm fish whose tail works sort of in the same manner as the tail of a scorpion, and so I can only imagine that the stingray felt threatened and tried to protect itself.

It's sad that he had to die so young, leaving young kids and wife behind.

Animals are perhaps more predictable than humans yet still unpredictable. I am under the impression that divers are told to avoid close contact with stingrays, they don't hunt you down to hurt you but will protect themselves if they feel like they're in a position where they are threatened. It's such a rare incident that I guess the reason is pretty obvious.

RIP
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Ta Moko

The video shows Steve pulling the barb out just before he pass's out.

Not sure if that was a good Idea but I would have done the same. At least he knew what happened to him so it was not an instant death.

A friend of mine that lives near Cairns said in an email;

{Quote} Steve Irwin's death affected every age group and gender - I first heard it when I was buying a fish burger and there were a group of "grey nomads" (retired people with big four wheel drives that tow vans) consoling themselves and dialling others and the shopkeeper and her assistant were also close to wailing. Anyhow, I told my son Edward about it through a chat-room and suddenly realized that it'd put him into shock. He was stunned and he's still trying to come to terms with it - he was a hero to many youth.
For me it was inevitable, he did some amazing things but when he went into the sea he really was taking a bloody big risk and one wonders what he'd have to do there to equal his feats on land - on land it was his element, but in the sea the danger can come from any angle and at lightning speed. Fucking about with big stingrays is bloody crazy and the most experienced divers keep a safe distance from them.

I've seen Aboriginal people spearing rays and there are some close calls at times with spears held aloft to get the ray out of its environment while it is flicking its tail to attack the hunter. Amazing sight to behold but the hunter chose to stand on the beach not go into the water to annoy something that does not display any warning signs - a classic characteristic of an animal that can kill quickly.
Black snakes have been mating and it is now recognized as a particular time of year here with a much better appreciation for our beautiful friends. Athy [QUOTE]

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 AM
RacerX85

God rest his soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode