Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
The only one that matters

Scuba Diving

I'm just getting into it cuz i have a trip to Puerto Rico in Nov. and i want to get certified. I'm just trying to see if anyone else dives and where they get their gear. I do a lot of online shopping but this is a whole new world to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Use to dive with my Dad.. never got certified since I was 13 or so when I was doing it with him...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Never did, just do apnea.

But one of my brothers got into it a couple of year ago and recently did the ultimate certifcate degree (seems like there's more than one) and can even be an instructor now if he wants to.
As for you online shopping, sorry but can't help you :comperror
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
I got certified a couple years ago as a Padi Open Water Diver. Once you take the classes and pass the tests you get a certificate, and you can rent top of the line equipment in all the padi dive centers.

They are all over the world in any major dive location.

Be safe. Diving is extremely cool, but you have to know what you're doing.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
Usually where they have diving places you can just take the intro to PADI lessons and you cant dive mor than 25 feet and cant be no furthr than 10 ft from the instructor. The class is maybe an hour and then some time in the water. The hardest thing is i shallow water and you have to pull out the breathing thing and put it back in underwater. Also just breathing under water is hard enough to do.

On my honeymoon we were in St. Croix and we went 2 times I LOVED it!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Old and fast...

Well, I am an advanced open water diver and also a free diver...

Go down to the local dive shop and ask for the meanest, toughest sonofabitch they got as instructor...and that's who you want...

Go buy some of the books and study...

You can't go wrong with Scuba Pro or US Divers or any of the majors...

If you think you will be really serious, down the road...get a custom wet suit...

But...the best advice I can give ANYONE, is make sure you are always COMFORTABLE diving...don't be too hot or cold...and make sure you ALWAYS are comfortable in the diving environment....and do whatever it takes to get you there...

But for tropical diving, that is not an issue as the water is pretty warm and the visibility is awesome...

I am assuming this is something you want to continue doing...

That takes it to another level than tropical, recreational, hoop-de-do diving...

Steve
'11 Green Kawi ZX-10R ABS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

I"ve been diving since I was pretty young. I dove in St. Croix which is pretty close to Puerto Rico. I cant really recommend where to buy stuff I have always just rented the BC and tanks dont do it enough to justify the expense.

However I can recommend seeing if you can do a dive on the Puerto Rican trench. It is amazing. Where we dove it was in about 80 feet of water then it dropped straight down to over 3000 feet. that is one of the most incredible things Iv'e ever done. "Flying" Out over a 3000 foot cliff.
We didn't see anything big but saw lots of cool lobsters and reef fish. But there are good chances of seeing some large palagic fish which would be cool.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Random Sample

I'm an Advanced Open Water Diver. I would not really recommend buying online even if you've tried the gear on in a shop before the purchase. I'd dig up the extra scratch and buy from reputable companies, in person. I usually get my gear from local shops after I've shopped around for the best deal.

Like Older Guy said, US Divers and Scuba Pro are good; I have also had luck with Deep See, Mares, Tusa. When you get more advanced, you can move on to high end gear.

Older Guy was right on saying to find the toughest sonofabitch.. I was certified by a ex-Navy Frogman.... hated his sh*t at the time, but learned so much more than with other dive masters I've seen or have gone diving with.

diving advice, remain CALM... if something were to go wrong, you'll probably get out of it better and if everything goes great, you won't burn through your air and can be under longer (provided your dive buddy isn't a twit).

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the advice fellas. Alaska has some classes starting next week for Open water certs. We'll see how it goes for me, most likely i'll be buying my reg. and mask/fins, and just rent everything else while i'm out there. Thanks again
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rican1884 View Post
Well thanks for the advice fellas. Alaska has some classes starting next week for Open water certs. We'll see how it goes for me, most likely i'll be buying my reg. and mask/fins, and just rent everything else while i'm out there. Thanks again
Don't forget the ice breaker

:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Yea, i went out to a lake about 2 weeks ago and went wake boarding. water was about 54 degrees, had a wetsuit on but it only helped a little, def. can't wait to move to warmer weather in march. We've got snowmachines for winter they're almost as good as the bike....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode