Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 AM
FAsT BOYS RACING

Talked to pond this morning about it. There is a city wide curfew right now.
PM Thaksin has been gettting a lot of flack for a while now and while I haven't done much research on it my take is that he is pretty corrupt so people want him out. The only experience I have really is that my friend has been hit pretty hard by the tax increase. He is an American that owns a bar on Koh Samui and since Thaksin has been in power he's jacking up the prices non citizens have to pay.

Pond doesn't agree with all the protesters she seems to think they are hipocrits and while they are right he is using his position to make a lot of money but the only reason they want him out of power is so they can do the same thing.

The only other thing she told me is what I've heard on the news just some tanks and the army beeming around. Keep your fingers crossed they dont close the embassy tomorrow she's supposed to pick up her visa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Ta Moko

Thai Coup

Stone? you going back?

Spoiler:
Thai PM 'overthrown in army coup'

Tanks took up positions outside Government House

Tanks in Bangkok

A faction of the Thai military led by the army chief says it has overthrown Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.
Tanks surrounded the prime minister's offices and soldiers took them over, though it seems no shots were fired.
After announcing they had suspended parliament and the constitution, coup leaders went to meet the king.
A spokesman for Mr Thaksin, who is at the UN in New York, insisted the coup "could not succeed", and that the government was still in control.
The spokesman said it had not been decided when the prime minister would return home from the UN.
HAVE YOUR SAY
The coup is so widely expected and I believe that this is for the best for Thailand

Darunee, Bangkok

Send us your comments
Coup-leaders' statement

However, in a broadcast on all Thai television channels the leadership of the armed forces said it had taken control of Bangkok, suspended the constitution and parliament, declared nationwide martial law and ordered all troops to return to their bases.
"We ask for the co-operation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience," the announcement said.
Retired Lieutenant-General Prapart Sakuntanak said the seizure would be temporary and power "returned to the people" soon.
Political impasse
Declaring themselves the "Council of Political Reform", the rebels said they were led by sacked military commander General Sonthi Boonyaratglin and declared loyalty to the king.
However, the BBC's Kate McGeown in Bangkok says King Bhumibol is held in high esteem by all Thais, and the declaration of loyalty does not necessarily imply that he backs the takeover attempt.

In pictures: Coup attempt

Our correspondent says low-level rumours of a possible coup have been circulating for weeks.
There has been pressure growing on the prime minister to resign, including from groups close to King Bhumibol, following a political impasse in which April's general election was declared invalid.
Witnesses said several hundred troops were posted at key points around Bangkok, including at government installations and major intersections.
The streets in Bangkok were quiet on Tuesday night, our correspondent in the city says. People were calm for the most part, curious about what was going on, but some said they were scared.
Traffic moved through the streets normally and in the bars of the city centre foreign tourists seemed oblivious to what was going on.
One soldier on a tank said: "We don't know why we're here, we've been told to say nothing. We're just following orders."
Russell Miles emailed the BBC News website to say there were troops "dressed in Swat-style gear strolling around" near Government House, and "a tense, but fairly controlled atmosphere".
Troops and guys dressed in Swat-style gear are strolling around

Russell Miles, Bangkok

Witnesses describe turmoil
Britons in Bangkok warned

He said: "We saw a group of blokes bundling a cameraman and another chap into a van. We are taking photos, but not out in the open."
BBC World, CNN and other international news channels were taken off the air, and Thai stations played out images of the royal family and patriotic songs.
The EU's Finnish presidency expressed "grave concern" at events, and the US called on Thais "to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner".
It is the first coup attempt in 15 years in a country where they used to be commonplace.
At the United Nations, where the annual General Assembly is under way, it was announced that the agenda had been changed to allow Mr Thaksin to address it in the coming hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
I hope Pond is alright. Keep us informed, OK ?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Most of the time

Woah. I gotta buddy in bangkok, gotta ask him whats up
Old 09-19-2006, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I just heard the military took charge and the constitution, parlament and government were suspended
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Ta Moko

latest

E-mail this to a friend Printable version Crowds warning to Bangkok Britons

Britons in Bangkok are being warned by the UK Foreign Office to avoid any demonstrations and large crowds, amid an attempted coup.
Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has declared a state of emergency and tanks have surrounded the government headquarters, Government House.
"Movements around government buildings and in public may be restricted," the Foreign Office is warning Britons.
It says the British Embassy in Bangkok is monitoring the situation closely.
The Foreign Office is also urging Britons in Bangkok - and those planning to travel there - to "monitor all available information on the local situation".
But Simon Calder, travel editor of the Independent newspaper, told BBC News that would be "very, very difficult".
"It is the middle of the night there and nobody quite knows what is going on."
People who have relatives and friends in the Thai capital will be understandably concerned

Independent travel editor Simon Calder

British Airways said its service to Bangkok was "operating as normal" and that the last flight of the day to Bangkok had left.
Mr Calder told BBC News that the flights from the UK would arrive in Thailand during the afternoon local time. "Nobody quite knows what the situation will be then," he said.
There were between 10,000 and 30,000 British tourists already in Thailand - about 2,000 of them in Bangkok, he added.
"It must be very tense there, and people who have relatives and friends in the Thai capital will be understandably concerned."
The Association of British Travel Agents' head of corporate affairs Keith Betton told BBC News British flights to Thailand would be diverted to land in neighbouring countries if necessary.
Independent travellers should stay off the streets of Bangkok, he added.
I am confident I will be able to get out when I need to

Engineer Steve Cowls

A spokeswoman for travel agent Thomas Cook told BBC News there was "no apparent threat to tourists" and the main holiday resorts remained unaffected.
But the company would continue to monitor the situation "very very carefully".
Steve Cowls, 46, of Oxford, an engineer working on a Thai naval base 150km (93 miles) south-east of Bangkok told BBC News no one there was even aware of the state of emergency.
"Everyone here is doing normal things - there is no indication that anything is going down."
Mr Cowls, who had been due to fly back to the UK from Bangkok on Thursday, added he was now considering leaving Thailand by travelling overland south to Singapore rather than attempting to enter the capital.
"I will work out what is best for me - but I am confident I will be able to get out when I need to."

Are you in the area? Have you been affected by this story? Send us your comments and experiences using the form below. You can send pictures and video from Thailand to [email protected] or text them to +44 7725 100 100.

Click here for terms and conditions on sending photos and video

Old 09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
7c Forever

Holy shit.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

Pretty calm there still. I posted about this in MV's post. there hasn't been any violence yet I've been talking to Pond and the curfew has been lifted and she's headed to the US embassy as I type this to pick up her visa. If anything happens I'll let you guys know.
I think Thailand will be better off without Thaksin from what I've heard. Pond is just mad they are doign this on her birthday.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE View Post
Pretty calm there still. I posted about this in MV's post. there hasn't been any violence yet I've been talking to Pond and the curfew has been lifted and she's headed to the US embassy as I type this to pick up her visa. If anything happens I'll let you guys know.
I think Thailand will be better off without Thaksin from what I've heard. Pond is just mad they are doign this on her birthday.
as long as shes ok
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

Yeah its not a military coup the leader of the military is very close to the King and I think the King is a very good guy and this isn't going to be some big hoopla. Thaksin has been asked to step down for years now and he refuses. Everytime I'm there they ar ehaving big rallies and protests against him so this doesn't really surprise me. I dont think there will be any fighting. there will be an interim government of civilians they are saying put in place while they straighten things out.

as of right now everything is open the US embassy is telling people not to leave but just be aware.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
I've been hearing rumors of this for the past week or so and this not being Thailand's first coup to oust a government not favoured by the people....I can go on and on, but here's a site that l look at but don't put any input into, but is fairly informative on Thailand events:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=18

Check out the different clippings Stone and this should ease your mind a bit.

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
merged

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
merged
Thanks Rinn

Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM
FAsT BOYS

someone should have just put a 3006 or 308 into his head. do you realize how much better democracy would work if we could do that? haha
Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by snair View Post
someone should have just put a 3006 or 308 into his head. do you realize how much better democracy would work if we could do that? haha
Temper temper

Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
The rot goes a lot further than just the PM, also all his cronies...interesting times ahead :jose :jose

Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

She just left to get her visa and sent me a text that there are armed soldiers all over the place. She'll be waiting in the US embassy so I hope thats a safer place. She's planning on making a quick stop at the market then heading home to hole up until the dust settles.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
FAsT BOYS RACING

Thanks Warp I was pretty worried until I heard the tanks that were rolling around telling people to go home were at the same time apologizing for the inconvenience.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Quote:

Thailand isn't a horrible monarchy it's a Constitutional Monarchy but it's on its way to democracy.. plus it has had exceptional rulers since the 1930's or so..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in