Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
WTF.....habla expanol?

Can somebody please explain to me, why I just watched a commercial, in the middle of the World Series, On Fox from Chevrolet, that was not only entirely in spanish, but also referred to the make and model of the vehicle in spanish?

Please.

Let me guess.
It was because we now need to market to people who don't speak English yet live in this country?
great. why don't we just change the wording on all of the traffic control devices to spanish, or better yet, change everything in the phone book to spanish.

I'm usually pretty easy going about this type of stuff, nut honestly, it's getting fucking really old.

Yeah yeah yeah, i know, some dumbass is going to point out that almost everyone in the country originated from imported stock. true, but there is a major difference.
Those people made the effort to not only learn the English language, but fully expected that others would as well.
While they might speak their native language in their neighborhoods and local stores, they did not expect that everything in the country be translated for them. In fact, most were likely to bring an English speaking relative with them if they thought that they might just possibly need some interpretation.

to me, it's exactly this opposite mentality of above, that we see all to often in immigrants today.
"It has to be like my old country. I'm not going to change. your country must change to me."
Well i have just one thing to say to that....

"If it's so great in your old country, why the fuck did you come here?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
FAsT BOYS

hahaha
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
der Ubermember

Send a message via AIM to R1Budha Send a message via MSN to R1Budha Send a message via Yahoo to R1Budha
btw, if you'd like to contact Chevrolet concerning this matter for any reason, here is a link to do so.
http://www.chevrolet.com/contactus/
at the bottom, there is the ability to reference their on air advertisements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
ya.. I have seen some of those stupid ass commercials before too... It's rediculous how many people come to this country and don't learn our native language just because they don't think they need to..

Don't learn anything about our culture because well they don't want to..

Good luck going to any country and getting that kidna of treatement in return..

When I went to Italy all the "touristy" places knew english but I went to a few small towns and when I needed something I sat my ass down opened up my translation book and tried my hardest to speak Italian and get info.. and I was on f**king vacation! If I lived there I would seriously learn the language..

but not here in America cuz we came pussies that care too much about offending anyone.. :wackit

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
This is what I think about on Sundays when I turn on my TV and see East Indian programing on my local network. WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post
"If it's so great in your old country, why the fuck did you come here?"

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
No Crying Allowed

I agree, it's bullshit

enough is enough..........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
Future Lottery Winner

Send a message via MSN to Belgium
Want an even better story ?

Here in Belgium, the muslim community is now demanding airtime on the national TV stations. Programming will be in Turkish and Arabic. Paid for by MY tax money.

I can see it now...switch on the TV to some little sheet head screaming Allah Akhbar !

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:22 PM
FAsT BOYS

damn thats just wrong belgium
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:43 AM
culerthnu

I could maybe understand a commercial in spanish in the USA (only because of the high immigrant population). The only reason I say I can understand is because Chevy or whoever made the commercial is paying for advertising (not me). The point at which I get pissed is when signs start to change or when they walk into my store and expect i understand what the crap they are saying and then they get mad when i don't understand. The sad part on all of this is that I lived in central america for 2 years and speak spanish, i also speak italian because of my grandparents who came from italy (so you'd think i'd be able to understand accents), wrong. This whole illegal immigrant thing pisses me off since my grandparents had to come over here legally and have had to pay taxes all their lives. They didn't get some tax benifit, like they are giving some of these aliens that are comming from other countries today (honestly it makes me wonder why i even care to keep my citizenship).
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
7c Forever

the joys of a free market.

Chevrolet obviosly thinks it's a profit inspiring move to market to the illegals.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Gringorican

Not to worry... the English language is growing to be THE universal language... sooner or later... los eses will need to learn it.

Haven't seen the commercial, but I have to wonder what the point is in it being spanish.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 PM
BANNED

Don't worry it will all be chinese soon.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
der Ubermember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpntpool View Post
Don't worry it will all be chinese soon.
korean.....
:

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM

Location: Mineral VA. If you can find it collect your $200 AND PASS GO

Dont even get me going on this one. To live in DC you need to know many different languages. It amazes me that the DMV allows translators while taking the written test. If they cant read it in a classroom setting how is Mr. Rodrejesusgomezsanchosaantiagoperzerefriedbeaneate r gonna do so on the road?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Don't the Spanish speaking people watch Telemundo or something? Was Chevy trying to pick up the ones watching english speaking TV?

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA View Post
Dont even get me going on this one. To live in DC you need to know many different languages. It amazes me that the DMV allows translators while taking the written test. If they cant read it in a classroom setting how is Mr. Rodrejesusgomezsanchosaantiagoperzerefriedbeaneate r gonna do so on the road?
Might as well let them take their lic. pic with a Burka on covering their faces too...

Oh wait, they've tried that all ready

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Rollin in my 5.0

Send a message via Yahoo to beavisr1
"English Mother Fucker do you speak it!" - Pulp Fiction

Yeah no shit. In america people should speak english. No one should be able to get a citzenship w/o it! Peroid! But unfortunetaly in the USA its ok and the politians are too much of pussies to say it. that is why I decided to run for office and speak my mind and would probally WIN! Just like Jesse Vantura.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Master of my Domain

The reason the ad was placed was due to the fact that baseball is very popular in the spanish speaking regions of the americas(not just the USA). Many spanish speaking individuals were probably watching the game (it is telecasted all over the world) and therefore GM thought it would benefit them to make the commercial.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
der Ubermember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump1979man View Post
The reason the ad was placed was due to the fact that baseball is very popular in the spanish speaking regions of the americas(not just the USA). Many spanish speaking individuals were probably watching the game (it is telecasted all over the world) and therefore GM thought it would benefit them to make the commercial.
ehhhh
wrong answer
this was contracdted with Fox broadcasting.
And in other countries, including most spanish speaking ones, the broadcast rights are held by their networks.

This means that all of the broadcasts, including commercials are supplied by that network.

Now lets review a few facts.

Fox provides Secondary Audio Programming (SAP) for ALL sports broadcasts.

Nearly every TV made in the last 10 years offers the ability to decode and play these SAP broadcasts.

soooo.......

if i were a spanish only speaking person, living legally in the united states, and i wanted to watch the World Series, wouldn't i be listening to the SAP audio and therfore not even realize the commercial was broadcast in spanish?
answer: yes

If i was a bilingual (spanish/english) person living legally in the United States and watching the World Series, wouldn't it be annoying to have a single 30 second commercial in one of those languages in the middle of a three hour broadcast in the other language?
Answer: yes

so what was the real purpose?

and if the rela purpose was to reach a certain demographic, isnt that discriminatory to all those other minority groups that dont speak english either?
Like the LARGE number of the various Asian ethnic groups who have their own laguages too?

shoudln't we therefore broadcast every commercial in all these different labguages?

After all, how many German, French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese heritage people are there in this country.

shouldnt we treat them the same?

starting to see the idiocy of this single instance yet........

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
phil-osepher

i still find it amazing that latinos come into my office, and get upset because I can't understand their problem....when they are speaking 80% spanish and 20% broken english

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode