Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

daylight saving time

I found this interesting.... so I thought I would post it up

Here is the link, BTW dont' forget to set your clocks back tonight.

http://www.standardtime.com

Why did daylight saving time (DST) start, and why does it still continue? When asking a random sample of people we heard two answers again and again: "To help the farmers" or "Because of World War I ... or was it World War II?" In fact, farmers generally oppose daylight saving time. In Indiana, where part of the state observes DST and part does not, farmers have opposed a move to DST. Farmers, who must wake with the sun no matter what time their clock says, are greatly inconvenienced by having to change their schedule in order to sell their crops to people who observe daylight saving time.
Daylight saving time did indeed begin in the United States during World War I, primarily to save fuel by reducing the need to use artificial lighting. Although some states and communities observed daylight saving time between the wars, it was not observed nationally again until World War II.
Of course, World War II is long over. So why do we still observe daylight saving time?
The Uniform Time Act of 1966 provided the basic framework for alternating between daylight saving time and standard time, which we now observe in the United States. But Congress can't seem to resist tinkering with it. For example, in 1973 daylight saving time was observed all year, instead of just the spring and summer. The current system of beginning DST at 2 AM on the first Sunday in April and ending it at 2 AM on the last Sunday in October was not standardized until 1986.

The earliest known reference to the idea of daylight saving time comes from a purely whimsical 1784 essay by Benjamin Franklin, called "Turkey versus Eagle, McCauley is my Beagle." It was first seriously advocated by William Willit, a British Builder, in his pamphlet "Waste of Daylight" in 1907. Over the years, supporters have advanced new reasons in support of DST, even though they were not the original reasons behind enacting DST.
One is safety. Some people believe that if we have more daylight at the end of the day, we will have fewer accidents.
In fact, this "benefit" comes only at the cost of less daylight in the morning. When year-round daylight time was tried in 1973, one reason it was repealed was because of an increased number of school bus accidents in the morning. Further, a study of traffic accidents throughout Canada in 1991 and 1992 by Stanley Coren of the University of British Columbia before, during, and immediately after the so-called "spring forward" when DST begins in April. Alarmingly, he found an eight percent jump in traffic accidents on the Monday after clocks are moved ahead. He attributes the jump to the lost hour of sleep. In a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine, Coren explained, "These data show that small changes in the amount of sleep that people get can have major consequences in everyday activities." He undertook the study as a follow up to research showing that even an hour's change can disrupt sleep patterns and "persist for up to five days after each time shift." Other observers attribute the huge spike in accidents on the first Monday of DST to the sudden change in the amount of light during driving times. Regardless of the reason, there is no denying that changing our clocks has a significant cost in human lives.
While some people claim that they would miss the late evening light, a presumably similar number of people love the morning light. And projects, postponed during the sun filled summer, will be tackled with new vigor when the sun sets an hour earlier each day.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
7c Forever

whaddaya think guys?

personally... I hate the shit. It's a huge goddamned inconvenience and I don't see a whole lotta point, it's not like we live in a world with universal 9-5 business hours anymore anyways, so fuck it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:31 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
whaddaya think guys?

personally... I hate the shit. It's a huge goddamned inconvenience and I don't see a whole lotta point, it's not like we live in a world with universal 9-5 business hours anymore anyways, so fuck it.
:imwst

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Ask the Chief

so is the race on at 5am or 6am Pacific?

really hate to lose out on an hour of sleep..

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:07 AM

I hate that shit
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Next year Daylight saving moves to November and finishes in March.

Good thing Canada decided to follow the US on this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

I really think they should get rid of it. Just split the difference of the two and call it good for all year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:06 AM
FAsT BOYS

doesnt matter to me one way or the other
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Well we have 3 very young kids here, and this change SERIOUSLY messes with their timetable.

Which means it's hell for us (the parents).

They say they do it so the people don't have to switch on lights in the morning when they go to work. Great. They'll just switch on the lights 1 hour early in the evening because it gets dark sooner.

What BS....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Our 2 Yr old is not having a good day today. Grumpy just like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04R1Belgium View Post
Well we have 3 very young kids here, and this change SERIOUSLY messes with their timetable.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 PM
phil-osepher

no need to set clocks back...
cell phone, DVR, computer....all change time by themselves lol

Personally, I could care less, it doesnt really affect me

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04R1Belgium View Post

They say they do it so the people don't have to switch on lights in the morning when they go to work. Great. They'll just switch on the lights 1 hour early in the evening because it gets dark sooner.

What BS....

This is my first year with a child... normally she wakes us up at 6am........... so guess what, ya it was 5am this morning.... lmao

oh well, what can you do...

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
i hate working and getting out when its dark.....
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Ta Moko

I'm not changing my clock, not riding home in the dark

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
lets all just refuse to do it! hahahaha

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
I'm not changing my clock, not riding home in the dark
Ride home in the dark from what? Going riding?

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Ta Moko

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Ltony View Post
Ride home in the dark from what? Going riding?
This Sunday Sail/ride, it will get dark now around 430? Which don't leave much time to sail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode