Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (Reuters) -
The use of medical marijuana has given two Toronto professors the right to something that many students could only dream of -- access to specially ventilated rooms where they can indulge in peace.
The two, at the esteemed University of Toronto and at York University to the north of the city, suffer from chronic medical conditions that some doctors say can be eased by smoking marijuana. They are among nearly 1,500 Canadians who have won the right to use the drug for health reasons.
Using human rights legislation, the two petitioned their employers for the right to light up in the workplace. They faced a legal struggle, but the universities eventually agreed.

"Without the medication, I am disabled and I'm not able to carry out meaningful and valuable, productive work," said York University criminology professor Brian MacLean, who suffers from a severe form of degenerative arthritis.
"It helps me to maintain my mobility as a physical problem but it also helps me to keep the pain at a distance so I can focus on my work," MacLean told Reuters.

MacLean's three-month battle to persuade York University to provide a light-up room, finally obtained this month, is short in comparison to University of Toronto philosophy professor Doug Hutchinson's year-long struggle.
"It took Professor MacLean a season, three full months, to get a similar accommodation and I believe that in Canada now, we should hope that the next person who gets the accommodation should not take more than a month," Hutchinson told Reuters.
MacLean says the three-month response time from the university put him in a vulnerable position both medically and professionally, as he smoked joints on the edge of campus, and thus on the edge of the law.

He now uses a special vaporizer that he says allows him to absorb the medical components of marijuana without the residues that come from smoking a joint.
Health Canada figures show that 1,492 people are authorized to possess marijuana for medical purposes in Canada, although it's not clear how the law on using the drug tallies with Ontario provincial legislation that bans smoking in the workplace.

Canada, where laws on possession of marijuana are much less tough than those in the United States, has allowed the use of marijuana for medical purposes since 2001. The government grows the drug in an abandoned salt mine in Flin Flon, Manitoba, and sells it to authorized users at C$5 ($4.40) a gram.

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO (Reuters) -
The government grows the drug in an abandoned salt mine in Flin Flon, Manitoba, and sells it to authorized users at C$5 ($4.40) a gram.

biggest dealers in the country. no wonder they're trying to control it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
7c Forever

hehehehe, leave it to the canadians. have you guys seen the canadian flag where the maple leaf is replaced with a pot leaf?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Canada strikes pot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
:corn

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 01:02 PM
RacerX85

I'm a dumbass
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM

you know whats really funny.
There's no medical reason to SMOKE pot.

You can actually get the benefits most people say they "need" without smoking it and getting the "high" that they obviously want in reality.

any chemist will tell you this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:18 AM
Random Sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post

You can actually get the benefits most people say they "need" without smoking it and getting the "high" that they obviously want in reality.

What's funny is that there was an idea kicked around in the medical/pharmaceutical community that THC could be administered via suppository to deliver clean product and eliminate inhaling smoke. No patient thought that was a good idea. I guess when you're suffering, smoking pot is better than alternate delivery.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Budha View Post

i'm a chemist and i wouldn't say that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode