Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

pwned

It didn't take long for Borat's "co-stars" to start suing especially when they heard of box office numbers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/..._borat_lawsuit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

First the frat boys and now the Romanian village presented as Kazakh town. BTW as my wife speaks Romanian she translated the real conversations which were "colorful" to say the least. That (Romanian language) and everyone in the former Soviet Union knows Kazakhs have Asian look... He couldn't shoot that footage in Kazakhstan or even Russia, so he chose one of the poorest East European countries: Romania. Not because of the hostile Kazakhstan government, but street-smart people would smell a prank from long distance. However Romanian villagers didn't care. Until they saw the $$$. Now they pretend they "didn't know" or were "tricked" just like absolutely everyone else who appeared in that "documentary".

I don't know about you, but I couldn't help thinking "this documentary can't be real". I mean even if it's a prank. Aside from Romaian villagers I refuse to believe educated people in the US didn't suspect anything. Even if some of those interviews weren't staged. people just played along not to mention they were paid to do so. And now all of a sudden they feel "offended", of course after seeing the financial side of things. The most American of all games: demanding compensations for their "stupidity".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 PM
phil-osepher

looks like the film makers deceived a lot of people...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Hard to believe educated people fell for such primitive tricks, but technically those were more or less straightforward interviews, nothing more. Seemed they didn't use hidden cameras, excessive editing, or other tricks; just phony Borat saying something outrageous and watching their reaction. That's what an interview is: a conversation. If people are stupid to pose for a camera drunk, well, then they deserve it. In any case it was their own decision.

An no one would say a word if the movie tanked. They all feel offended but if they get theior hands on a fraction of proceeds they'd magically feel better?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
prob just a prank to up ratings

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
phil-osepher

no, the college students are idiots and deserve to look like fools. I'm talking about the village. I can totally see how they got duped. Americans come in, pay them a few dollars and film what they think is a documentary. They have no idea what the film people are saying, and just go with the flow. Remember, these are backwoods people that are poor, have no things like toliets or TV's, etc etc...

Then the movie comes out and makes them look like idiots. I'd be pissed too.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Nah. They're not THAT poor. They have TVs and toilets. Out-houses at least. If the crew didn't speak their native language (even with translator) shame on S.Cohen and IMO he should unofficially settle that. Wouldn't cost much to please those villagers. But somehow I have a feeling everyone in that movie is gonna sue the filmmamkers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode