Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

Sponsors?

do any of you know how to get racing sponsors? last night at the awards ceremony i kept watching other racers go up to get their bling and they would put on a michelin hat. I ended up talking to our michelin vendor about sponsorship, he told me to send him a race resume and he would see what he could do. i just sent him one so hopefully he will help me out. even if he doesnt i will still run michelins and yes ill still buy them from him at the track haha. what different types of support do club racers get from sponsors? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
I read in Roadracing World all the time, that different vendors are accepting racers resumes.

Just pick up a mag and start sending you resume out.

Good luck with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
phil-osepher

register here: www.clubracer.net

then look in the sponsorship section, lots of tips there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
7c Forever

make up a decent race resume and ship it out en masse, accuracy thru volume. Remember also that sponsors don't give a shit where you finish the race, all the care is that people are seeing their sticker/hearing there name. winning the race is the most conventional way to get exposure, but it's not the only way, and it's not really the easiest either. Make sure to say in your race resume how many events you'll be attending, give a rough attendance number for each one, show how many spectators across a whole season, or across the period you're trying to get sponsorship for.

99% of the time they'll sponsor by offering discount on product, you'll almost never get cash. prize/contingency money is about the only way to "make money" on racing, or get to a point where you're being given product, run it for a race or 2 and sell it, that's a decent way to generate revenue aswell. Keep in mind aswell that it doesn't have to be bike related stuff that you're being sponsored by, back when I was racing sleds, I was sponsored by VP fuels, aswell as a local gas station, the local gasstation just gave us a gas card for $500 to help cover fuel expenses for the season, but it was a far cry from Vforce reeds, or somebody like that, who honestly altho they did officially sponsor me, i don't think I ever used it to effect, as their idea of sponsorship was "10% off of all products" but it was still way cheaper to buy used but good parts than to buy new ones discounted.

If you're from a small town, I'd recommend going around to the local businesses, make a day of it and hit as many as you can, write it all down on a list, ones that you've called on once, twice, 3 times, yadda yadda, which ones look promising. Treat it like you would treat going for a job, look presentable, but "dress for the job" you're a motorcycle racer, but also a salesman for them.

if you wanna mail me your race resume I'll look it over for you and help you out with it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 PM

also keep in mind that even at the low level amateur stuff, you can be a force for your sponsors.

TELL THEM what you will DO FOR THEM.

b e prepared to do it too.

If you have a sponsor that wants you to display something or set up a table for them, do it.
even if they are just giving you a discount.

Sponsorship is a business, and as such, you need to treat it that way.
If you do, your sponsors will notice and will move what they offer you on a yearly basis.

If you do get a sponsor that want you to display, take pictures of the displays, and you "working for them" so that you can include them with your resume next year.

If your not prepared to do that, dont waste the time and just go get the basic LP, Tire, and other discount off product sponsors.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

thanks guys. i dont have much of a resume because its my first season but i think i did ok considering. the michelin guy i sent it to knows me because he is our vendor at the track, maybe ill just have to wait until after the 07 season. if i can get some help on tires that would be sweet.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
phil-osepher

just remember, just because you are running their stickers, promise to put their logo on your trailer, list them on your website...blah blah....that is what everyone else is saying.

Bottom line, are you going to help drive more business their way? Can you promise some results? Why should they give you money at all?

Think (ugh) outside the box on this one. Could you set up your bike by their business? Could you organize an event at thier business to attract guests or something?

Remember, they can pay a few hundred bucks and reach thousands of people just by utilizing their own website, newspapers and shit like that. So, dont blow smoke up their ass and talk about all of the people that will see their sticker on your bike at the track. Honestly, most people at clubraces are racers and family, and they dont give a shit what is on the other guy's bike.

Good luck!

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Gotta get pretty good them theyll sponsor ya! do your resume and let a few people that know you look it over befor you submitt it!

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

well besides my brakelines, bodywork and suspension my 04 r1 is stock. this season i could only run 5 out of 14 races because of the cash i threw down to get the above named parts. at the end of the season i ended up in 8th place which i know is nothing to brag about. the highlight to me was right before the last race i ended up passing and beating the guy who got the #1 plate for novice gto. i beat him by like 20 seconds in an 8 lap sprint. my wife and i talked and she is very supportive of me putting together a season for 07 so i will be able to race all 14 races, not like this year.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

i also plan on trying to get an exhaust and power commander before we start on 31 mar. my lap times are within about 4 seconds of the fastest guys but im still like 10 off of the ama times. like i said i know im not the fastest but im getting faster and having a great time.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
Good luck! keep us posted

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

thanks gunny got any kay go gi yet haha
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Master of Sergeants

Quote:
Originally Posted by snair View Post
thanks gunny got any kay go gi yet haha
hahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

and so ju
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Snair,
Check out some of these links:

http://racingsecrets.com/money_racing.html

http://www.thetradeshowcoach.com/

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM
phil-osepher

Quote:
well besides my brakelines, bodywork and suspension my 04 r1 is stock. this season i could only run 5 out of 14 races because of the cash i threw down to get the above named parts. at the end of the season i ended up in 8th place which i know is nothing to brag about. the highlight to me was right before the last race i ended up passing and beating the guy who got the #1 plate for novice gto. i beat him by like 20 seconds in an 8 lap sprint. my wife and i talked and she is very supportive of me putting together a season for 07 so i will be able to race all 14 races, not like this year.
Like Gunny said, start winning some races, placing well, and building the resume and then you'll have an easier time of it. As far as the #1 Novice plate, I've known more than a few guys would would agree with me when I say that a #1 Novice plate isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Granted, there are some fast novices, really fast, but those guys barely place mid pack in the expert races. A novice #1 plate means you can:

1-Show up to every race
2-Are moderately fast
3-Have a decent bike
4-Can afford to travel and enter every race in every class your bike can run (more tracktime)
5-Have money for lots of tires, and good parts

Good luck with your season, and don't worry about having a lot of stock parts. Go racing to HAVE FUN, if it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

both stone and i started racing for fun. its still more fun than i could have thought haha ill never be super racer i know that just want to try and lighten the load a little. thanks
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

kneedragger one of the other issues here was classes. we had expert, amatuer, and novice. it was the first season for the org. now we are going to just novice and expert like other orgs. we had alot of guys who bumped from novice to expert whos times are right up there. quite a bit of sandbagging.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
phil-osepher

Quote:
both stone and i started racing for fun. its still more fun than i could have thought haha ill never be super racer i know that just want to try and lighten the load a little. thanks

exactly! Racing at our level should be a fun hobby. Once it starts turing into work, and you have to pay the bills by winning..... (unless of course you are really really good)

My goals in 2007 are:
1-Finish each race I enter
2-Dont wad the bike

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
FAsT BOYS

those are like my goals. what series do you race with. in june here wera is going to race i figured i would race with them just for shits and giggles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode