Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Buying a used car at the dealership

Since I have no experience with that whatsoever as I obviously prefer private parties... tell me what service I'd be paying extra for? I need to buy a car for my elderly parents in Cleveland and register it on my name with their address. I'm in Cali. Will the dealer do it for me coz the max I can stay there is a couple of days. Unfortunately I don't have many relatives in Cleveland other than other elderly people. So I'm looking at going to the dealership and doing all the paperwork there. Is this how it works? Plus I'll have to dispose of the old car: donate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Sell the the old car to a junk yard, at least you will get a few $$$ for it.

Dealers will usually try to stick you for every little extra expense, try to get some type of warranty, so if something goes wrong with the car your folks are not stuck with the bill, make sure the car is in good running order and everything has been properly serviced before you pick up the car.

Otherwise good luck, cause I have never had any with used cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I do understand stealers are necessary evil, but unfortunately I can't spend my vacation in Cleveland. Junk yards... never dealt with them either. Basically all I need is a one-stop place... I don't think high-mileage Civics (the only car I have in mind) needs any warranty, but what do I know about them: Civics with automatic transmission.

Another question: how much is shipping from LA to Cleveland and is it relatively quick straightfoward process to register an out of state car in OH?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Ta Moko

I'd sell you my car cheap but its a manual

Most likely 500 to ship it but the dealer might be able to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Manual is a big no-no, Adrian. Looks like I need to physically be there to register it on my name. Gotta do everything in one weekend, so dealers seem to be the only option. I dunno. Would I save enough buying from a private party here to cover the shipping and my round trip to Cleveland? Besides honestly I don't know shit about slush boxes other than they all equally suck and gradually break down to be the major annoyance. Hence the chances of me picking a good car vs. paying the dealer for a "certified preowned" that comes with a warranty. BTW do they really perform that 130-point inspection? And WTF is it: blinkers work - check?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 PM
phil-osepher

when are you coming to cleveland? The bank I work for has lots all over Ohio and Michigan/Indiana where people turn in their 3 to 5 year leased vehicles (or repo's), and we have access to them. We usually get $2000 to $5000 UNDER MSRP, and the cars are CLEAN. I bought my wife's Galant like that, MSRP was like $8000 and I got it for under 6.

If you have the time I can probably hook you up.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad-mofo View Post

Another question: how much is shipping from LA to Cleveland and is it relatively quick straightfoward process to register an out of state car in OH?

Registering an out of state vehicle in Ohio....

Shit, I forgot what the process is, we used to have E-check but not anymore. this might help tho
http://bmv.ohio.gov/misc/new_resident.htm

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
when are you coming to cleveland? The bank I work for has lots all over Ohio and Michigan/Indiana where people turn in their 3 to 5 year leased vehicles (or repo's), and we have access to them. We usually get $2000 to $5000 UNDER MSRP, and the cars are CLEAN. I bought my wife's Galant like that, MSRP was like $8000 and I got it for under 6.

If you have the time I can probably hook you up.
PM sent
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
carfax, and autotrader.com!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 PM

I'll sell you my Envoy and personally drive it there. haha. Got something new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode