Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Ando
Global Warming a Myth?

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 /U.S. Newswire/ -- David Deming, an associate professor at the University of Oklahoma and an adjunct scholar with the National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA), testified this morning at a special hearing of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. The hearing examined climate change and the media. Bellow are excerpts from his prepared remarks.

"In 1995, I published a short paper in the academic journal Science. In that study, I reviewed how borehole temperature data recorded a warming of about one degree Celsius in North America over the last 100 to 150 years. The week the article appeared, I was contacted by a reporter for National Public Radio. He offered to interview me, but only if I would state that the warming was due to human activity. When I refused to do so, he hung up on me.

"I had another interesting experience around the time my paper in Science was published. I received an astonishing email from a major researcher in the area of climate change. He said, "We have to get rid of the Medieval Warm Period." "The Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was a time of unusually warm weather that began around 1000 AD and persisted until a cold period known as the "Little Ice Age" took hold in the 14th century. ... The existence of the MWP had been recognized in the scientific literature for decades. But now it was a major embarrassment to those maintaining that the 20th century warming was truly anomalous. It had to be "gotten rid of."

"In 1999, Michael Mann and his colleagues published a reconstruction of past temperature in which the MWP simply vanished. This unique estimate became known as the "hockey stick," because of the shape of the temperature graph. "Normally in science, when you have a novel result that appears to overturn previous work, you have to demonstrate why the earlier work was wrong. But the work of Mann and his colleagues was initially accepted uncritically, even though it contradicted the results of more than 100 previous studies. Other researchers have since reaffirmed that the Medieval Warm Period was both warm and global in its extent.

"There is an overwhelming bias today in the media regarding the issue of global warming. In the past two years, this bias has bloomed into an irrational hysteria. Every natural disaster that occurs is now linked with global warming, no matter how tenuous or impossible the connection. As a result, the public has become vastly misinformed."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
7c Forever

amen to that shit

"it's to hot" blame global warming
"it's to cold" blame global warming
"my crops wont grow" blame global warming
"it's raining" blame global warming
"we have bad storms" blame global warming

pretty soon we'll be blaming cancer on global warming.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
amen to that shit

"it's to hot" blame global warming
"it's to cold" blame global warming
"my crops wont grow" blame global warming
"it's raining" blame global warming
"we have bad storms" blame global warming

pretty soon we'll be blaming cancer on global warming.
Amen!!

But..... i thought you were one of those Global Warming theory enforcers
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM
7c Forever

global warming? no, I've never seen a single piece of scientific backing that supports it at all.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
global warming? no, I've never seen a single piece of scientific backing that supports it at all.

That's cos you live in freezing cold Canada :
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 AM
7c Forever

actually it's honestly warmer here every year, we used to have snow by halloween, we just got our first good dump last night. But I don't think it has shit to do with my driving a car.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Hopper in 08

Al Gore broke Oprah's couch because he was jumping up & down ranting about global warming so it MUST be true!!!!!!

Besides - hollywood wouldn't make a movies about it if they didn't have all the facts.

Fooking liberal media!!

2006 999s Sold... Bikeless MoFo !
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:46 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScorpion View Post
Fooking liberal media!!
Liberal media isn't the problem, the problem is dumbass people that will believe anything so long as someone they consider half credible tells them it's true.

If I could convince you I had a PHd in geology and I babbled on for half an hour making sure to use key bouzzwords like "Hockey stick graph" "increased greenhouse gas emmisions" "declining salinity" "cascading reversion of current trends" most people would believe it, whether my work has any hard backing or not

if you wanna actually have a credible opinion on something, you gotta see the numbers, and I've asked again and again and again to see the numbers on this one, and NOONE has provided them.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Most of the time

Ando can you post a link to that story?

My sister and I have an ongoing debate about GW and I would like to send that to her. thanks

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Ask the Chief

i'd like to think that national geographic is a fairly reputable magazine. they did a story on warming a few months ago. why does it seem so unfeasable that we could be affecting the earth's atmosphere? seen plenty of credible evidence that even a .2 degree overall change in temperature can do some pretty wacky shit.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
The real Blue ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to R4Ltony
Some time ago I saw a documentary on the Discovery channel about Volcanoes. There was one Volcanoe that erupted and blew 100million times the green house causing gases in to the atmosphere in one shot then man has created in his entire existence. The documentary said the global temperature rose 1/10 of 1(one) degree because of it. I haven't seen the piece since all this "Global Warming" stuff came about.

The planet goes through warming and cooling cycles. Right now it must be in a warming cycle.

(Wouldn't know it from all the cold temps around here lately)

Quote:
If people don't regulate themselves, others will do it for them.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
7c Forever

a brief breakdown of atmospheric gasses.

water vapour
carbon dioxide
methane
nitrous oxide
ozone

now at the moment carbon dioxide is the one that everyone is worrying about. at the moment, it makes up 0.038% of natural atmosphere. CO2 is part of the cheicle reaction that oxidizes the blood of all fauna (animals) it's then "inhaled" by flora, and they take inthe carbon to build mass and "exhale" O2, which we breath in and kick the carbon back out in. It's also put out by running car engines.

For the record, everyone is in a huff because the CO2 level is up by 31% since the early 1700's, at that time the worlds population was approximatly 600,000,000 people. It's now at 10 times that, and unless we're 10% what our ancestors did, it's safe to assume that our domesticated animal flocks are a fair bit bigger than they where then. Infact it's VERY safe to say we eat alot better than they did and that our flocks are more than 10 times the size they where then. So where is the massive spike? 30% since then? easy to account for that JUST in the increased number of lungs breathing , not to mention deforestation.

now... I said before that I thought it was a crock, and here's why.

in the 1700's CO2 accounted for about 0.029, now it's up to about 0.038

what was that other one that I mentioned? something like H2O? water vapour? most common chemicle compound in the known universe (barring diatomics)? right now it's sitting at about 3.5-4%... kinda varies around depending on time of year, no long term change in even the oldest ice samples we've taken.

there's a couple of other ones, but they're even smaller, so we'll stick with these 2.

This means that all human activity since the industrial revolution has had an effect of less than 1% on the amount of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere, and that difference has been made easily just by the number of lungs breathing. If anything, I'm worried what the hell else is eating up the extra CO2 that we're breathing out.

and ya, this isn't taking into account volcanic activity, the fact that there's more methane being put out by cows farting than there is carbon dioxide being put out by car motors running.

like I say tho, if anyone has any solid scientific evidence that contradicts me, I'm all ears, I'd love to hear it, But so far I haven't seen a single coherent argument in favour of it yet.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
we meat again

MV is ghey... must be global warming!

¤ più forte non si può . WLF viva la figa
¤ In 2006 I lost because of bad luck; I still won the most races and was the fastest on track for most of the time... Last year I was sorry that
after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino. ~ The Doctor '08
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:05 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
what do you mean??

Besides you i'm the other gay here
Watch me :biga :ghey :biga :ghey

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Most of the time

If we had reliable data from the past 2 million years on many global temperature data then we would know if global warming exists.

But we don't

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
Nhaaa...... that's just your ass hole getting hot and speaking out your homo wishes, because of GW :ghey :1poke

But the truth is you were gay before GW and will remain gay after it
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 AM
7c Forever

wow MV sure seems to know what it's like to be gay eh? doesn't have any problem filling in posts in homo style. Maybe he's got something to tell us all?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Ando
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBrianZX6R View Post
Ando can you post a link to that story?

My sister and I have an ongoing debate about GW and I would like to send that to her. thanks
i looked for the link but couldn't find it. it was originally posted on drudge and can most likely be found at newswire.com.

sorry.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Hopper in 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
i'd like to think that national geographic is a fairly reputable magazine. they did a story on warming a few months ago. why does it seem so unfeasable that we could be affecting the earth's atmosphere? seen plenty of credible evidence that even a .2 degree overall change in temperature can do some pretty wacky shit.

I don't think it's out of the question that we're having some sort of impact on global temeperatures - but I think (IMHO) that when calmer minds prevail people will realize that our impact is insignificant. There are other recurring factors that have a much bigger impact than anything man is doing. Things related to the Earths eccentric orbit, the wobble of the polar axis, the cycle of magma churning deep within our planet and energy cycles of the sun.

Short of nuking the planet, I'm not so sure we're capable of overriding those factors on a global scale.

Just my $0.02.....

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Hopper in 08

Here's your missing link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/2006120...warming310_xml

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode