Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

MBA programs?

This kind of goes along with Rinn's thread, I'm due to finish school Aug 12th... I'm looking at moving straight into an MBA program that will last 17 months.

Anyone have any experience with getting their MBA? I realize that getting it won't magically make some 20% raise appear, but it will help down the road, especially setting myself apart from similar candidates for future higher level jobs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 AM

Dunno about US but can't see it being much different from the UK. I got a bachelors with honors in Software Development (Programming) which did me lots of good in terms of job opportunities, but if I had the MBA as well (which I don't) I know it would give me the opportunity to go for better things. I say if its only 17 months then that's not a lot to give up - go for it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
from people I have talked to there are good and bad things with an MBA..

Good: You usually get a raise for it and advancement can be faster because you have had higher schooling..

Bad: Sometimes companies won't hire you because MBA's demand to high of salaries and when companies do lay-offs MBA's are most likely to be the ones getting fired because they have higher salaries and the company can higher someone with a bachelors degree and pay them half the MBA salary..

If you plan to stay with that company for awhile ask them about it, see if they will pay for you to get your MBA or if it's something they are interested in.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

thanks for that rinn... positives and negatives I guess

My company will only pay $5000 per year towards an MBA... which is better than nothing. Plus I get the GI Bill, so it would probably be free anyways

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
don't read this

Only way I would for sure get an MBA if I could make people address me as

Master Ryan.. : then I would do it for sure

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i'm with rinn. I've heard positives and negatives and the worst part is that they want more money and normally they don't give that much more that others do. Experience is always the best imo...most important though would be the people hiring and nobody can tell you what they are looking for or want. just remember that in business and professional jobs you are now competing with those overseas who will work for less with the same qualifications as you.

my Dad works at a hospital and their radiologist is being laid off. More than likely they are sending the film overseas to get checked via email and then sent back or they are hiring someone else in time once they legally can and the position is going to take about a 50% pay cut as people from overseas with the same qualifications will do the job and accept the pay cut with a smile.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_David View Post
...I say if its only 17 months then that's not a lot to give up - go for it!
:imwst

In larger companies, some prefer you to have a MBA if you want to be in the higher management position level.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

My company has about 25,000 employees.... not the biggest, but not the smallest either. Up to the VP level (there are a few thousand VPs) you'll see many with "only" an undergrad degree. For the most part, SVP and definitely EVP and Board of Execs all have graduate or higher degrees.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
My company has about 25,000 employees.... not the biggest, but not the smallest either. Up to the VP level (there are a few thousand VPs) you'll see many with "only" an undergrad degree. For the most part, SVP and definitely EVP and Board of Execs all have graduate or higher degrees.
and i'd venture a guess, most didnt come from within.....

most were headhunted....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

you are quite right on that one.

the key is to move around every few years......at least that is the impression I get

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
don't read this

There are tons of companies that will hire undergrad's because they can train them to do what they want and then will sometimes pay for you to get your MBA..

But experience speaks more than college degree's..

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

experience does speak more, but at certain levels you wont even get a look with out an undergrad, or graduate degree... right?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 AM

Go for it while you are in the mode of going to school. I'm 43, got my bachelors while in the AF. I got accepted into several Master's programs but moved around a lot chasing the money and never finished any of them (4 different programs over the last 12 years). Now the fact that I don't have an advanced degree is holding me back a little. The thoughts of having to go back to school to take classes that I could teach nauseates me. Stick with this company for another two years (they are already used to you dealing with school and they will help pay). Once you get your degree, bail and chase the real money. You could then turn that energy you've been putting into school into focusing on your career.

And you are right. I got to be on a search committe to hire a new VP (I'm not a VP) and the person that was chosen was MUCH less qualified than me, but she had an advanced degree (Master's degree was a "minimum" requirement). The advanced degree in some cases is just a "check mark" but you can't pass go without it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 AM

So the concencus seems to be that experience is very important (of course it is) and a higher degree will, as I said in my earlier post, give you at least the opportunity to go for better things.
Do the 17 months, then move on and earn the experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode