Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Immigration - Your thoughts.

First off, let's keep this civil. Any ranting or racist BS and I'm closing this thread faster then you can say Gringo, OK ? :gun

The situation is this.

My parents retired to Florida, and they built a very nice house there in a gated community.

They used to just stay in the US on a tourist visum, and would come back to Belgium for a couple of weeks every 6 months or so.

They have really integrated into the community there and made a lot of very good friends, all of whom I also got to know on my stays there.

They are financially secure, and all they do is spend their money in the US. They will never have to rely on Social Security or anything like that. All they do is put money into the system.

This all worked out great for a couple of years.

Then on one of their previous returns to the US they were held at immigration in Chicago and put in a cell

They were told they could not reside in the US for more than 6 months a year on a tourist visum. So what good is the home you built if you can only reside in it half of the year ?

This really broke my mother's heart as she had put all in her new home, and she really enjoys her retirement there.

Now I hear there is a bill in the making that would legalize 12 MILLION immigrants (illegals) residing in the US, who for the most case do not have independent means of living, meaning they will have to rely on US citizens at some time to provide for them in some capacity.

I mean why can't the US grant legal residency to people who retire there, when it is obvious all they will ever do is add to the US economy ?

This makes no sense to me and it makes me so angry...

I could get a green card if I accept a job in the US (I have been offered several), and then they would also be allowed to stay, but I don't feel like moving there. Don't get me wrong, I love the US, and I love the American people in general (some exceptions do apply...), but I have 3 kids to raise, and I think the education system in Belgium is WAY better than that in the US, plus the schools are...emmm...less dangerous and more affordable.

So what do you guys think ? Do you feel they should be allowed to stay ? They are now looking at having to sell their home, their dream, their everything, just because some Xenophobe politician says so and grossly over-generalizes.

Thoughts, feedback appreciated. But the minute I feel this thread goes off on a tangent towards the racist, I'm banning the racist and pulling the plug. A warned man...

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM

There is no other solution?

I thought there is something call "investment" immigration, you basically bring like $500,000 into the country and agree to open up a business something like that... I've seen people do it...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
No Crying Allowed

I think this is one of those things that the lawmakers dont' think about when laking the laws... Yes it sucks that they are in this situation now... but I have to ask ..... didn't they look into this before coming here and building a home here?

I agree they should be able to stay.... and yes there are many many people here that contribute nothing and live off of our tax dollars as well.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Ta Moko

My advise is to sell up and move back home, near you.

The systems not fair, never has been. They were treated badly and that may continue, I've known many honest people that were treated the same way by INS.

Costa Rica is a better
Or Australia
Or New Zealand

my 02 cents

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
No Crying Allowed

There has to be a way for them to become a citizen here, 10,000 people do it every day...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
My advise is to sell up and move back home, near you.

The systems not fair, never has been. They were treated badly and that may continue, I've known many honest people that were treated the same way by INS.

Costa Rica is a better
Or Australia
Or New Zealand

my 02 cents
What about Canada?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerossi View Post
There is no other solution?

I thought there is something call "investment" immigration, you basically bring like $500,000 into the country and agree to open up a business something like that... I've seen people do it...
Yes there is....

My parents basically invested 500,000$ in their home.

Now they were told they could stay if:
  1. they invest 1,000,000$ in a US company
  2. they start a new company and hire at least 5 US citizens
the whole point of being RETIRED is not to have to be involved in corporate life anymore. And at their age (60+) my father doesn't feel like investing 1 million $ in a company that may go bust.

So that path is a no-no...

I'm sure in their...what....20-25 years they have left, they will spend over 2-3 million in the US. They have a errrr.... comfortable life syle.

That should count for something, and it would mean they get to spend their money on something they enjoy.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
I think this is one of those things that the lawmakers dont' think about when laking the laws... Yes it sucks that they are in this situation now... but I have to ask ..... didn't they look into this before coming here and building a home here?

I agree they should be able to stay.... and yes there are many many people here that contribute nothing and live off of our tax dollars as well.
They actually looked into it in 1999, and were told it was "not a problem"...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What about Canada?
They just went there. Nice, but they might as well have stayed in Europe

Plus my dad's old bones respond well to the Florida sunshine and humidity.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM
No Crying Allowed

So are they home safe now here in the US ?

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Ta Moko

Quote:
What about Canada?
Forgot about Canada but since they picked Florida I figured they want warm weather year round

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04R1Belgium View Post
They actually looked into it in 1999, and were told it was "not a problem"...
This whole thing sucks.... I wish I had an answer for you...

As for the schools and living here in the US, it's like many worlds in one bro...... what you see and hear is only the worst part.

I wouldn't live in 75% of the places here in the US either... some people are crazy to raise children in some of these places... lol

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Ta Moko

Quote:
Yes there is....

the whole point of being RETIRED is not to have to be involved in corporate life anymore. And at their age (60+) my father doesn't feel like investing 1 million $ in a company that may go bust.

I'm sure in their...what....20-25 years they have left, they will spend over 2-3 million in the US. They have a errrr.... comfortable life syle.

That should count for something, and it would mean they get to spend their money on something they enjoy.
Last I checked Australia has a RETIRED program

Also for what they could sell the place in Fl. they could buy a place in NZ and Aus, live 6 months in each place and have a great life, 6 month visa or retired visa.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yes there is....

Is it either 1. or 2.? Or it has to be both?

If it's only one of the conditions, then how many years they have to keep the money in that company?

Can they invest in Google or Cisco?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
They just went there. Nice, but they might as well have stayed in Europe

Plus my dad's old bones respond well to the Florida sunshine and humidity.
For bones, sunshine is good, but not humidity...
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LOVER View Post
So are they home safe now here in the US ?
Yep...

They just completed a 12,000 mile trip in their 5th wheel to the last 2-3 states + Canada they hadn't seen yet.

Now they have like 20 books with details of all their travels, historical background on all the sites in all the States, and day to day experiences of traveling the US in a 5th wheel. Reviews of all the camp sites...Comparisons of US life with European life... THOUSANDS of pages.

My dad loves to write, and is REALLY interested in the history of the US.

He's always loved the US BTW, and normally I should have been born there, but I decided to pop out way too early (idiot).

My dad made most of his money in the US by the way....Bought a lot of real estate in what was later to become a little town called Austin, TX.... That's why he was there a lot, and I started going with him when I was 6.

Fvcker switched to English every time we hot the plane, so I had no other option than to learn English, and learn it fast
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
Last I checked Australia has a RETIRED program

Also for what they could sell the place in Fl. they could buy a place in NZ and Aus, live 6 months in each place and have a great life, 6 month visa or retired visa.
Have you checked the US real estate market lately ?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:33 PM
RacerX85

The United States has a lot of issues. And if they don't start to get fixed soon, I'm outta here.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Yep...

They just completed a 12,000 mile trip in their 5th wheel to the last 2-3 states + Canada they hadn't seen yet.

Now they have like 20 books with details of all their travels, historical background on all the sites in all the States, and day to day experiences of traveling the US in a 5th wheel. Reviews of all the camp sites...Comparisons of US life with European life... THOUSANDS of pages.

My dad loves to write, and is REALLY interested in the history of the US.

He's always loved the US BTW, and normally I should have been born there, but I decided to pop out way too early (idiot).

My dad made most of his money in the US by the way....Bought a lot of real estate in what was later to become a little town called Austin, TX.... That's why he was there a lot, and I started going with him when I was 6.

Fvcker switched to English every time we hot the plane, so I had no other option than to learn English, and learn it fast
lol, that's a great story.... Since they have seen most of the US then they probably have a good idea of what it's like...

I wish them the best.... hopefully it works out.

|
|
|
|
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX85 View Post
The United States has a lot of issues. And if they don't start to get fixed soon, I'm outta here.
Name me a country that doesn't have much issues...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode