Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Talking Corporate America: exposed!

I'm finishin up college, due to graduate 12 Aug Anyways, I'm bsing my way through the end of my courses, and one assignment had me posting to a class BB about "reviews" in the workplace. I worked for a bank for 3 years, and got exposed to a lot of the corporate BS that goes on. Well, you read it and decide for yourself. I'm glad I told them to kiss my ass

I've experienced two types of performance evaluations over the years. Military evals, and corporate type evals.

Let's talk corporate evaluations. I received three of them over the last few years (before coming back on full time military status), and was in a capacity to issue and write them. From my experience, evaluations are a complete joke, and a waste of time. If you are a hero, they can be used to justify a nice raise, if you are zero, they can be used to justify kicking you out the door.

In my experience, I worked for a LARGE bank, in both the operations and retail field. Here is how performance evaluations are done. Let's say the Eval has to be given to the employee on 1 May. So, here is how it works. Around the 1st of the year, the budget for the employee compensation raises will be finalized and pushed out to the senior execs. This basically tells senior management how much of a pot of money they have to spread out amongst their respective groups for salary increases. These numbers drive everything, not the actual performance of the employee.

Next, let's talk bell curve. We'll use a rating scale of 1-4 for example purposes. 1 being the worst raiting, and 4 being the over achiever. Senior management certainly can't afford to have all 4's, nor can they have all 1's either. So, employees are FORCE RANKED and this list is turned in. In other words, managers (I was one who did this) sat down and ranked employees on a spreadsheet. We gave out a couple 4's, some 3's, a lot of 2's, and maybe a single 1. We spread this out to make a nice bell curve, based on our "perception" of their performance. We turned this in, and so did other departments. Then, the finance guru's crunched the numbers based on the ratings to see if we could afford the payouts. Basically, if you got a 4 on your review you might get a 3% to 5% raise, whereas a 2 might only get a 2% raise. Sometimes the list passed, sometimes you would have to adjust.

Here is where it gets worse. So now you already know what you have rated each employee. Keeping that in mind, let's talk about the review itself. The review might have 5 to 8 catagories, each being weighted based on job title. For example, it might look like this:
Customer Service: 10%
Sales: 15%
Job Knowledge: 10%
Teamwork: 5%
Productivity: 15%

Etc Etc....all adding up to 100%. Obviously a sales rep would have a higher weight put on their "sales" rating than a paperwork filing person. Then, what you did was rate that individual on a scale of 1-4 in EACH catagory. That rating was multiplied by the weight of the catagory, and added together to give you the actual REVIEW SCORE.

Here is where it gets even worse. Remember the forced rankings? OK, so I know Susie Smith is rated a 2. So, what I do is put a bunch of copied and pasted jibberish into her review, and BACK IN the numbers, in order to make it come out to a 2. Do you REALLY think that you plug in their performance stats not knowing what it would come out to? If that is the case, how would the organization be able to control the cost of the increases each year? Pitiful I know... I've seen other managers make it work out to a 2.99, and tell the employee that they "just missed" getting a 3 on their review. What a sham.

Bottom line, the employees bought in, hook line and sinker. You know what?? It was THE SAME for manager reviews too. I knew what to expect, and took my review with a grain of salt. I would just say "tell me how much my raise is, and tell me where to sign" knowing it was all a pile of crap anyways. This was a large, 25000 employee company that ranks in the top 10 in banks in the USA. If they are doing it, so are A LOT of other companies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Rookie again

That's pretty sad dude. I wouldn't want to be the one making those type of descisions but on the other hand I'd not want to be the guy busting my ass for nothing either. Shitty situation all around.
Good paper though.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM

you think this is news?

the military does much the same as well.

only instead of being based upon wages, its based upon rank.

after all, part of the considerations for who gets to move up in rank is personal evals.

no news here.

welcome to real life
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

in real life, its all about being well liked, and that means knowing people, and that means moving up. The sad part is, so many people buy into that shit like it matters...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Rookie again

"It's not who ya know, it's who ya blow".

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM

You left out the portion of the process I like to call the "Communist Curve": it's the reality that every pay grade usually has a maximum limit, so if you truly have a star performer who will get a 4 every time, he's eventually gonna get screwed. Once he gets close to the maximum you'll have to give him a lower eval score because he can't get the full percentage raise without going over the maximum. In addition, your perennial "2" is going to have to get a false high score to bump him up closer to the "curve" or else it reflects upon YOU that you have a constant loser. The average of all employees in your group will always equal out to the curve. Your management will tell you that there's no way your star performer can always be a star performer, so you have to ding him on something subjective like "communication", etc....

This is why the star performers move on.....unless they get promoted. But usually, the boss doesn't want to promote someone who is gonna then compete with him. The system rewards poor performance and is self-limiting in the long run to mediocrity at best.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
RacerX85

Is this National City we're talking about?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

no, but close....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
military is the good ol' boys network. It's known before hand who will get the raise. It's also not like time in service, not getting into legal trouble, donating time to volunteer work has shit to do with job performance. Then they even rate you on your physical condition depending on your branch LOL

At least with corporate america each business can do it as they want so that some might suck and others aren't too bad. The military all sucks as they must all do it the same way.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
military is the good ol' boys network. It's known before hand who will get the raise. It's also not like time in service, not getting into legal trouble, donating time to volunteer work has shit to do with job performance. Then they even rate you on your physical condition depending on your branch LOL

At least with corporate america each business can do it as they want so that some might suck and others aren't too bad. The military all sucks as they must all do it the same way.
time in service*
time in grade*
personal evals
physical evals
number of available openings for your rate/new rank*

thats everything that counts in the military

its also based upon a mathematical formula.
you'll notice 3 of the five are not up for debate (those with a *)

thats why the personal and physical evals mean something.

its also how come there is such a term as "unfrocked".

as in i was an "unfrocked" e-5 when i got out of the navy.
meaning i had passed everything for my rate and was going to be promoted, but had not yet as the promotions typically come in "sets" either twice or three times a year.
i was in the Second Set, but was out before that date arrived.

also keep in mind, that just like the corporate world, in the military, the more restrictive your job (your rate), the more difficult it is to move up.
ie it's a lot easier to move up in a rate with 500k people in it, than one with 500 people.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 AM

I've been writing my own reviews since I was 20. When I was in the military my lazy supervisors would have me do it as a "learning experience" and now I do it because the boss "doesn't have time". It's all crap. For the last 4 years, I've just changed the date on mine and send it back for signature.

However, having said that, I actually take a lot of time to write my employee's evaluations and use them appropriately (how they did...what they can do better...etc.). I do it because it's important for them (whether they know that or not) but the "company" could care less as long as I've got a check mark next to "evaluation completed" in the records.

Maybe my military "learning experience" was how not to do it...nope, they were all just lazy bastards
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
budha every branch has their own though. In the air force you are asked questions about the usaf history, politics, etc and also rated on how you reply. It's pretty much everything except how well you know your job LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode