Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

One and a Half Billion Heartbeats

One and a Half Billion Heartbeats

Posted August 19, 2007 9:19:00 PM

Many years ago, astronaut-legend Neil Armstrong sat down for an interview with news-legend Walter Cronkite. It was just after the time of the Apollo project, which was coincident with the beginning of the jogging craze.

Cronkite asked Armstrong for his opinion on jogging. Armstrong thought about it for a second, then responded:

"I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm damned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street."
This quote has always tickled me. I repeat it whenever anyone asks me to work up a sweat. So I was pleased yesterday, when Geoffrey West, a Santa Fee-based scientist, confirmed what for me has been merely Neil's opinion for the past thirty years.

Interviewed on NPR, West confirmed that the results of his most recent research show the heart of the average mammal, humans included, beats approximately one and a half billion times in its lifetime, regardless of the size of the mammal or its habitat.

In other words, it appears that it doesn't matter if you're an elephant or a mouse. Every mammalian heart is programmed to beat 1.5 billion times - before beating no more.

The story contained a number of nice audio props, such as recordings of the bongo-like heart of a shrew, which beats approximately 1,000 times a minute, and of the whale, whose heart beats (if a low squishy sound can be called a "beat") approximately once every three to four seconds.

But the thing that interested me most was the part the story left out - a quote from one of the most famous humans to yet walk the Earth, which at the time was just his opinion, but which now ranks as a fully-fledged - and very welcome - hypothesis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 PM
RacerX85

Very cool! Trippy as heck though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
I think that researcher is full of shit. Mammals obviously include people. So he's essentially stating that if 2 people are born at the same time; and one grows up living a healthy lifestyle including alot of cardio excercise; and another grows up to be a slob who's highest heart rate is achieved while walking to the fridge; that the healthy person will hit their 1.5B target first and die well before the slob. I call

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Old and fast...

Errr..that would mean no sex too...

Steve
'11 Green Kawi ZX-10R ABS
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM
RacerX85

It's an average people. Obviously you are missing the point. Do things with your life that you enjoy because life is short.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX85 View Post
It's an average people. Obviously you are missing the point. Do things with your life that you enjoy because life is short.
I dont remember reading that anywhere in that article.....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:22 PM
RacerX85

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
I dont remember reading that anywhere in that article.....

Hehehe. :
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:41 PM

So if we strap a heart-beat counter on a baby... he or she will have a good idea when the heart will stop?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Ask the Chief

every beat leaves you one less to your last.

yep...there's another.

and another.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Ta Moko

here's the original article

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...84&ft=1&f=1007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode