Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

'Supersport' motorcyclists have highest death rate

Looks like my insurance will be going up again

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top..._deaths_070911

'Supersport' motorcyclists have highest death rate
11/09/2007 10:07:24 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drivers who use high-performance racing motorcycles are being killed at a rate nearly four times higher than those who navigate all other types of bikes, finds a U.S. study.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), which conducted the research, also found that the popular "supersport" motorcycles had the worst overall insurance losses.

"Supersport motorcycles are indeed nimble and quick, but they also can be deadly," Anne McCartt, senior vice-president for research at IIHS, said in a press release.

"These bikes made up less than 10 per cent of registered motorcycles in 2005 but accounted for over 25 per cent of rider deaths. Their insurance losses were elevated, too."

The bikes are built on racing platforms and then modified for the highway before being sold to consumers.

They boast a light weight, powerful engine and are meant to be all about speed. IIHS says the bike is especially popular among riders younger than 30.

In the U.S., motorcyclist fatalities have more than doubled in the last decade, reaching 4,810 in 2006. The figure accounts for 11 per cent of total highway fatalities.

Here's a breakdown of deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles in 2005:

Supersport drivers: 22.5 per 10,000
Sport and unclad sport bikes: 10.7 per 10,000
Cruisers and standard motorcycles: 5.7 per 10,000
Touring motorcycles: 6.5 per 10,000
Other/unknown: 4.3 per 10,000
Total: 7.5 per 10,000
Between 2000 and 2005, overall motorcycle driver deaths rose 59 per cent in the U.S. Meanwhile, the overall death rate climbed to 7.5 driver deaths per 10,000 from 7.1.

Only 51 per cent of drivers wear helmets certified by the U.S. Department of Transportation, compared to 71 per cent in 2000.

Motorcycle popularity

As motorcyclist deaths rise, so does the popularity of the vehicles. Between 2000 and 2005, total registrations in the U.S. climbed by 51 per cent. In the supersport category, registrations were up 83 per cent during the same time period.

Still, cruisers and standard motorcycles made up the bulk of registrations.

The IIHS found speeding and driver error to be the biggest factors in fatal crashes of supersport and sport and unclad sport bikes.

Speed was cited in 57 per cent of supersport fatal crashes in 2005. It was cited in 46 per cent of fatal sport and unclad sport motorcycle crashes.

"Supersport motorcycles have such elevated crash death rates and insurance losses because many people ride them as if they were on a racetrack," said McCartt.

"Motorcyclists presumably buy supersports and sport bikes because they want to go fast, and manufacturers are happy to oblige."

McCartt suggests capping the speed of the street-legal racing machines at the factory as a way to reduce their risk.

The supersport bikes also have the highest overall collision coverage losses among 2002 to 2006 model bikes. The figure is almost four times higher than touring motorcycles and six times higher than cruisers.

The bikes are also popular targets among thieves, stolen at a rate seven times higher than the average for all 2002 to 2006 motorcycles.

"These bikes own the field when it comes to elevated death rates and collision losses. They also hold the distinction of being the most frequently stolen motorcycle," says Kim Hazelbaker, senior vice president at the Highway Loss Data Institute.

"We found a strong correlation between motorcycle class and insurance losses, with supersports showing up time and again as having far higher losses than other types of motorcycles."

Cheers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S.Myers
85 & 88 GSXR 750
02 GSXR 1000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Ta Moko

Great now everybody knows

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

2002-2006 models have the highest issues: so that means there was a mass-squid conception around 1984
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rweezystunner View Post
2002-2006 models have the highest issues: so that means there was a mass-squid conception around 1984
They are everywhere!!!!!!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Faster and Better

Send a message via AIM to Hellbound Send a message via MSN to Hellbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Nomad View Post
Great now everybody knows
but no one listens
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
i don't know if that means rates will be going up though.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
i don't know if that means rates will be going up though.
I'm not sure if it's possible for them to go up any higher. Everybody is getting ass raped with rates already as they are that's why people only get liability.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderChick View Post
I'm not sure if it's possible for them to go up any higher. Everybody is getting ass raped with rates already as they are that's why people only get liability.
what about insurance companies that are getting ass raped by people that take policies out, pay in $600 for 3 months and then total their bike, leaving the ins company with a $10,000 tab? Or the asshats that wad their bike on the track, but then call their ins up and say they hit a deer? Or, the vast number of thefts on these bikes, because they are so popular...

Rates are a reflection of the current environment...

Lemme see, you are 20 ys old and want to insure a GSXR 1000? Yea, your ass is going to pay some serious $$$. Just the way it is.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
7c Forever

how did I know that KD would come in talking about how insurance companies where right and the rest of the world are all wrong.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
how did I know that KD would come in talking about how insurance companies where right and the rest of the world are all wrong.
just playing the other side of the card...

just like when "that guy" posts how he was busted doing 100 in a 35 and all cops are racist pigs bent on the destruction of motorcyclists...

I mean really, are my arguments NOT valid? And...I insure 3 sportbikes fully and pay $130 a month, which isn't the best rate but certainly not bad....I pay more for my cell phone or cable bill.

You have to pay to play. Can't afford to insure that 2008 GSXR 1000 at 20 years old? Than I guess you don't get a GSXR 1000....

It's the same reason it costs an assload of money to insure that 16 year old driver in a 2 door sportscar...

Last edited by kneedragger77; 09-11-2007 at 08:13 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
phil-osepher

the stats don't lie...
link: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...verview.html#5

If you owned an INS company, wouldn't you say that your exposure to loss would be high? Oh wait, you don't so you constantly play the "oh I'm a victim of the system" card... +
Attached Images
File Type: jpg data.JPG (120.4 KB, 8 views)

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
just playing the other side of the card...

just like when "that guy" posts how he was busted doing 100 in a 35 and all cops are racist pigs bent on the destruction of motorcyclists...

I mean really, are my arguments NOT valid? And...I insure 3 sportbikes fully and pay $130 a month, which isn't the best rate but certainly not bad....I pay more for my cell phone or cable bill.

You have to pay to play. Can't afford to insure that 2008 GSXR 1000 at 20 years old? Than I guess you don't get a GSXR 1000....

It's the same reason it costs an assload of money to insure that 16 year old driver in a 2 door sportscar...
Ok not to be rude...but comparing insurance rates to a guy who goes 100 in a 35 isn't a legitimate argument. Everybody agrees there that that guy is a frickin idiot for riding like that on the streets instead of the track...

there will be no comparison between apples and oranges.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

I guess I blame most of this on the Delears and the currsnt systems that allow a dealer to sell a 1000 or even a 600 to some 16, 17 or anyone with no experience at all on a bike AKA "Squid" just because they have the money to buy or finance a bike like this.
There is such a thing as morals and the dealers should have to say "this seems a bit much for you dont you think?" not "show me the $$, Sucker"

Cheers

S.Myers
85 & 88 GSXR 750
02 GSXR 1000

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
LMAO - Another example of the asshat media playing the numbers.....OK, deaths go up by 59%, but the number of registered motorcyclists went up by 51%, and the number of registered super sport bikes went up by 89%. What does that tell ya, theres more bikes on the roads so theres going to be more deaths. Also, since sport bikes are the fastest growing segment of the motorcycle industry right now (as reflected in the increase of number of registered sportbikes) it only stands to reason that when compared to over all motorcycle deaths, more people are dying on sport bikes than orther types. Lets see a ratio of number of registered riders compared to deaths in said year to this year. Thats what will tell you if there is a problem.

Stupid people pretending to be reporters shouldnt be allowed to interpet statistics.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Ta Moko

The report was done by the insurance Institute

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr091107.html

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWComp View Post
Stupid people pretending to be reporters shouldnt be allowed to interpet statistics.
this I agree with.

I also feel that it isn't appropriate to pigeon hole people into insurance rates based on age rather than driving/riding ability, and maturity.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
this I agree with.

I also feel that it isn't appropriate to pigeon hole people into insurance rates based on age rather than driving/riding ability, and maturity.
I agree. This could be solved if we went to a graduated license system as others have mentioned. However, if joe snuffy off the street can walk into a dealer and buy a modern 180hp superbike, then rates will always be high. It's a tough call...

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderChick View Post
Ok not to be rude...but comparing insurance rates to a guy who goes 100 in a 35 isn't a legitimate argument. Everybody agrees there that that guy is a frickin idiot for riding like that on the streets instead of the track...

there will be no comparison between apples and oranges.

apples/oranges....? what the heck are you talking about?

That example only served to reinforce the perception that "The Man" is out to get you around every corner.

Ins is high, must be "the man"
Gas is high, definitely "the man"
can't get a promotion at work, no doubt because of "the man"
got a ticket the other day, "the man" wouldn't let me off...

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 05:20 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
I agree. This could be solved if we went to a graduated license system as others have mentioned. However, if joe snuffy off the street can walk into a dealer and buy a modern 180hp superbike, then rates will always be high. It's a tough call...
that's basicly where I'm at with it.

and so long as people continue to use 180hp bikes as penis extensions, I'll continue to be fucked by "the man."

not that I'm getting fucked since I don't ride on the street anyhow, and if I did it'd be an SV650, or a motard, not a GSX-R

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
phil-osepher

what's wrong with penis extensions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode