Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ramadan

Not trying to stir up shit...

BUT...

For years now, in the company I work for, there have been emails from Sr. management alerting us to the sensitivities of Muslims during the month of Ramadan.

Frankly I think non-muslims are getting fed up.

This is the first year I see email reactions on the "be sensitive to fasting colleagues" emails... One of the funnier emails detailed all the different religions and their sensitivities during this very same month...

An overview....

Mashi'yyat of the Baha'i faith celebrated on Sept 27th 2007
Fall Ohigon of the Budist faith celebrated on Sept 23rd 2007
Pavarana marking the end of the Rains retreat, Budist, celebrated on Sept 30th 2007
Sri Krishana of Hinduisim (already over) celebrated on Sept 3rd to mark the birthday of Krishna, the eighth incarnation of the God Vishnu
Ganesh Chaturthi of Hinduisim Celebrated on Sept 15th to celebrate Ganesh the God of Success
Paryushana-Parva of Jainism, celebrated Sept 8th marking the holiest period of the year for ascetic Shvetamara sect. This is celebrated for 8 days concluding on Samvatsara and includes dedication through fasting to Jain ideals and worship of Jina and reading the life-story of Lord Mahavira from the Kalpasutra.
Samvastari of Jainism, the last day of the holy period of Paryushana-parva observing confession and penance. (Sept 15th)
Ananta-chaturdasi of Jainism (September 25th) The festival of 10 virtues is the holiest day of Dashalakshani-parva
Ksamavani of Jainism (Sept 26th)
Rosh Hashanah of Juaism (Sept 13 and 14th) (Which conflicts with Islam in that they advocate eating apples and honey and other sweet foods for a "sweet new year.", so I was curious as to how much wiggle room we have between the conflicting faiths of Islam's fasting and Judaism's eating of sweets, which should we follow?
Yom Kippur of Judaism, Sept 22nd
Sukkot of Judaism (Sept 27th)
Shuki-sorei-sai of the Shinto Religion (Sept 23 2006)
Ghambar Paitishem of Zorastrianism which celebrates the creation of the Earth and the harvesting of the summer crop (probably with eating, perhaps there is wiggle room here as well, since eliminating snacks may offend this religion since this is the time to celebrate the creation of the Earth and the harvesting of the summer crop..so which rules do we follow, I am again confused)

So in calling for "understanding" during the Muslim holy month, why are we neglecting doing the same for the dozens of other religions out there ?

(Militant ?) Islam has pulled the greates PR stunt in recent history, with the entire world walking on tippy-toes just not to offend them...

My view is religion in a PRIVATE affair, and one person's religion should not affect another person's agenda or modus operandi.

But maybe I'm just being an insesnitive git.

However I'm having a hard time imagining similar calls for understanding for the Christian Faith in muslim countries...

We are being railroaded people...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
HillBilly

Send a message via AIM to KWComp Send a message via Yahoo to KWComp
Best thing I have read in a long time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
Mashi'yyat of the Baha'i faith celebrated on Sept 27th 2007

So in calling for "understanding" during the Muslim holy month, why are we neglecting doing the same for the dozens of other religions out there ?
I dunno, the other ones I don't stress too much about, but I had a Baha'i professor at one point and this was one of the few days of the year that I didn't carry a water bottle with me, or I'd stash it in a bag so as not to remind him.

That said, he himself would say that being reminded is the POINT of the day, and that it wasn't a big deal, but hey, I'm not a jerk.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Hey it is going to be X-mas in a couple of month, make sure not to piss me of in December

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Hey it is going to be X-mas in a couple of month, make sure not to piss me of in December
Me too.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode