Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

sunroof rant. why?

I was driving to work today thinking about this.... I often think about random shit and question things, not sure why, but I digress...

What's the deal with sunroofs on cars, and why are they considered and "upgrade?" Why when people look at cars, do they think they need the sunroof option, like it's better for some reason? I ask you this, for those of you with sunroofs on your vehicle, how often do you actually use it...if at all? Both of our vehicles have sunroofs on them, just because they happened to come with that model, and I gotta tell you in the last few years I've probably opened both of them less than 5 times. They are absolutely useless, a marketing gimmick sprung on us by automakers which gives us the perception of added value to our vehicle. From a functional standpoint, they are worthless! If I want air, I'll just roll down the window, but most of the time I want a climate controlled (heater or A/C) environment so I almost never roll down the windows anyway. Nice hot sunny day....open the sunroof....hell no! You'll let all the A/C out, and it's not like I'm going to drive down the road looking out of my roof admiring all the beautiful scenery. Besides, who wants the hot ass sun beating down on them in the summertime, especially while sitting at a red light (another argument against convertibles, but that is another story).

So yes, why America, do we have a useless obsession with sunroofs. More than anything, they are a liability. Why? Well, they could get older and leak, they cost more, they compromise the integrity of your overhead protection, and the cost benefit is near zero! But wait, next time you go looking for that new car...make sure you get the sunroof option, because it is "better", it must be because it costs more! Sheep!!! Your all sheep!

I will now sit back and wait for the reply from the person who uses their sunroof on a daily basis and can't live without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

It's an escape hatch! Just think, if you're ever wedged between 2 trees and the doors won't open you can get out! Or those annoying parking situations, where 2 people too up too much space in the only available parking spots! Just whip in there and climb out your escape hatch!

Knowledge will cure ignorance, but you can't fix stupid
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Sunroofs are great, my favorite part is when they won't close for what ever reason and it start to rain. Also I really enjoy when people in the car front of you throw out a cigarette and it comes in through your sunroof.

But that is just me

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
jimmy crack corn

I gotta agree with you. my wife knows better than to mess with her sunroof when Im in her car . it just pisses me off to no end . there is no air coming in just an intolerable amount of wind noise and buffeting I hate sunroofs enough to pay extra not to have one.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 AM
No Crying Allowed

I have them as well and part of me agree's with you, but I do use them from time to time though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

man I had a Boxster and I had the top down every damn day, but then again I go into work at 0530 and leave around 9pm, so the sun beating down thing was not an issue. on the weekends, during the day in Memphis yes the sun can disintegrate you, so that is a downside, but I love the convertibles. i like air, I like wind......you know.
i also like sunroofs and had them open all the time when I had cars with them. maybe I'm the minority, but I don't like regular cars without them. Now mind you, they need to be factory installed and not some $#it pile from the local yoyo tuner shop or you're right, leaks and other BS are soon to follow
but, I traded the Box in for a Z06 which has no sunroof and is not convertible, so I really have no current say in this matter
good topic though, I am curious to hear what folks have to say
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Random Sample

I have a sunroof on all of my cars. I use each of them about 20 times a year. It's nice from time to time, but I wouldn't let a salesman try to feed me that bs that it's a luxury or I have to pay extra for the "upgrade." I've never been a convertible or soft-top guy (unless it's an old K5 blazer, cj, etc.) so this is the closest I can get to the sky when not on a bike.

The wife loves them and uses them all the time... which means that's one more thing on the car for me to service and I have to dust and vacuum my interior ALL the time. (mini rant off)

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
HighlyTrainedProfessional

Send a message via AIM to NomadRip Send a message via Yahoo to NomadRip
I like 'em and use 'em anytime I'm in a car with one. But I usually roll the windows down, too if I have to be in a cage.

-James
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
No Crying Allowed

I think this explains why Phil never opens his...

There are only three months out of the year where he doesn't have the heater on.... lol

Cincinnati Weather

Avg. High 38 42 54 65 75 84 86 85 78 67 54 44
Avg. Low 21 24 34 44 52 61 66 64 57 44 35 26
Mean 30 34 44 54 64 72 76 75 68 56 45 35
Avg. Precip. 2.5 in 2.5 in 4.3 in 3.7 in 4.4 in 3.4 in 4.1 in 3.7 in 3.1 in 2.8 in 3.3 in 3.1 in

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
FAsT BOYS

they were cool in the 70s and 80s.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM
`beer?

Send a message via MSN to walker Send a message via Yahoo to walker
Sun roofs and convertibles are huge in Europe as well.

But I agree... my GTI came with one and I never open it...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Sunroofs=Silicone Tits

Explanation: Both are nice to look at, Both cost you more money than the standard model, and Both are pretty much completely useless other than their aesthetic value.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
I use mine from time to time. Not a lot of air comes in, but it's nice as it give sthat open feeling when I have all my windows down in the 4 runner. All the side ones, back one, and the sunroof and i nearly feel like i'm in a convertible.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 AM

I like to use mine at night, so I can look at the moon and the stars : er... I mean I open it at night because the GF likes to look at the moon and the stars....
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
lol

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez5000 View Post
I like to use mine at night, so I can look at the moon and the stars : er... I mean I open it at night because the GF likes to look at the moon and the stars....
I thought that guy kind of looked like your pic Cheez...

[MEDIA]

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 PM

C'mon, it's for me to look at the Moon from the inside of my car...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez5000 View Post
Damn... you beat me to it...
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Look what I found...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kp77ebay.jpg (155.7 KB, 12 views)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 PM
FAsT BOYS

hahaha nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode