Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
E-mail Free fridays??

Overwhelmed by e-mail? Some professionals are fighting back by declaring e-mail-free Fridays - or by deleting their entire in-box.

Today about 150 engineers at chipmaker Intel will kick off "Zero E-mail Fridays." E-mail isn't forbidden, but everyone is encouraged to phone or meet face-to-face. The goal is more direct, free-flowing communication and better exchange of ideas, Intel principal engineer Nathan Zeldes says in a company blog post.

E-mail-free Fridays already are the norm at cell carrier U.S. Cellular and at order-processing company PBD Worldwide Fulfillment Services in Alpharetta, Ga.

Prominent techies are tackling the problem individually by declaring "e-mail bankruptcy" - deleting or archiving an entire in-box and starting over. Among them: prominent tech bloggers Jeff Nolan, Michael Arrington and Vanessa Fox, and venture capitalist Fred Wilson.

E-mail overload is caused by the sheer volume of messages zipping around the globe. Each day, about 39.7 billion person-to-person e-mails, 17.1 billion automated alerts, and 40.5 billion pieces of spam (unsolicited commercial e-mail) are sent worldwide, researcher IDC says. White-collar workers often receive 140 messages a day, executive coach Marsha Egan says.

E-mail can be a useful communication tool, and people who write a lot of it are more likely to receive it, IDC tech analyst Mark Levitt says. But it can quickly get out of hand.

"I didn't even have time to figure out where to start," says Edward O'Connor, a Web developer from San Diego who declared e-mail bankruptcy two weeks ago. O'Connor had about 750 messages dating back three years, almost all of which needed a reply. "I was completely overwhelmed," he says.

Egan says even the busiest e-mailers can, with care, keep control of their in-boxes. Her tips:

Don't use e-mail to avoid unpleasant tasks. "I couldn't believe people who had never talked to each other but worked in the same office," says Scott Dockter, CEO of PBD. Dockter started e-mail-free Fridays about a year-and-a-half ago. Since then, the number of messages his 400 employees send has dropped by about 75%.

Don't constantly check for new messages. It can take four minutes to refocus on work after checking an e-mail, Egan says. Jay Ellison, chief operating officer of U.S. Cellular, estimates that his 7,000 employees spend about 1 hours a day on their in-boxes. E-mail-free Fridays give them more time to solve customers' problems, he says.

Respond to important messages first - even if they're difficult. Less-pressing issues can wait until a free moment, Egan says.

(Copyright 2007 by USA Today. All Rights Reserved.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07105115422_chart.jpg (40.9 KB, 0 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Personally I'd rather e-mail people than meet with them face to face. My company gives me a Blackberry and I intend to use it as much as possible. See, when you e-mail people it can be done from anywhere. Meeting face to face requires you to actually be at work.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
doomsday machine

I'm not exactly against meeting about stuff face-to-face....but I tend to use email as a CYOA tool quite a bit....and CYOA can't take a break on Fridays. Usually I follow up phone calls or meetings with emails summarizing the point and laying out any expectations...then requesting the other person reply to confirm.

That way if the other person, be it a co-worker or a customer, comes back and bitches 'cause something isn't done that was never discussed or is demanding to know why something isn't done NOW when the deadline is still a couple weeks out, I can show them their own message. I've used that several times now. :

So yeah...I'm not giving up my email anytime soon. Not even one day a week.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Good point.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Flyby View Post
Don't use e-mail to avoid unpleasant tasks.
this is the most important one I think. Sending snarky emails is alot easier than saying something face to face. People will hide behind the computer screen if they have beef. It's not a good way to do it 'cause it just explodes from their, as the reveiver of that email is more likely and able to respond in kind... also from behind a computer.

speak face to face and it gets figured out faster and without getting nearly as ugly. Besides, if you try to do something like that on an email, it'll end up getting sorted out face to face anyways, just with people all upset about it.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
We will be doing this also along with the "turn your phone off friday's". With both of these done it might make contacting us a bit more difficult, but feel free to just stop by and say hi instead

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 PM
No Crying Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
We will be doing this also along with the "turn your phone off friday's". With both of these done it might make contacting us a bit more difficult, but feel free to just stop by and say hi instead
I thought that was everyday at motomummy.com ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Ok I think this is good, but how is an IT company do that for one full day? I mean sure many things can be solved by phone/fax or face-to-face, but what if an employee or client needs some documents or files?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Mummy Man

Then they wait till monday

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxcorey View Post
Then they wait till monday
Tell this to the customers and see what happens...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Team America Support Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to Warp Racer
Mummy Store Free Fridays

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN

OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
this is the most important one I think. Sending snarky emails is alot easier than saying something face to face. People will hide behind the computer screen if they have beef. It's not a good way to do it 'cause it just explodes from their, as the reveiver of that email is more likely and able to respond in kind... also from behind a computer.

speak face to face and it gets figured out faster and without getting nearly as ugly. Besides, if you try to do something like that on an email, it'll end up getting sorted out face to face anyways, just with people all upset about it.

Snarky?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Mummy Man

We are going to tell everyone from now on that all communication on friday to our store must be done through the friday postwhore thread. I think it will go over well...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
Snarky?

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
phil-osepher

I can see how this can work for some companies, and not at all for others...

This would not work for us.....at all

People who complain about too much email need to examine how else they screw off during the day (internet, long lunches, just staring out the window, tv) before they blame email....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode