Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Question Trouble in Chicago??

Jury Awards $2M To Man Cops Allegedly Framed

CHICAGO (AP) ― A federal court jury awarded more than $2 million Tuesday to an iron worker who claims two Chicago detectives framed him six years ago on charges of attempting to abduct a pair of preteen girls.

"I'd like to let them know that they ruined my whole life and now hopefully I can get it back," Timothy Finwall, 40, said as he left court the winner in the latest of a series of cases to hand police a black eye.

The jury deliberated for five hours over a little more than four days of testimony before awarding Finwall nearly $2.03 million in damages.

He was arrested in April 2001 and accused of proposing a "field trip" to an 8-year-old girl and grabbing the arm of another child and offering her candy. A jury acquitted him of the charges in July 2002.

Finwall's attorney, Mike Kanovitz, said the detectives may have been motivated by an earlier brush with the law in which Finwall, a former Marine and Persian Gulf War veteran, disarmed an off-duty police officer.

The off-duty officer was drunk and menacing Finwall's friend at the time, Kanovitz said. He portrayed his client as a hero for taking the officer's weapon. But Finwall was charged with a crime and got probation.

Kanovitz suggested that the earlier incident may have prompted the two detectives to blame Finwall for attempting to abduct the two girls.

"Hopefully, someone from the Chicago police department will read the transcript of this trial and they will see the lies these two officers told," Kanovitz said. He said that "the whole case was a pack of lies."

He pointed to notes one of the officers had allegedly taken on a statement given by one of the girls, noting that the writing was "in perfect paragraph form."

"His testimony was that he took it down just as she told it to him," Kanovitz said. "He had to sit there for 30 minutes defending to a jury of eight people just how it is that a 9-year-old girl goes about speaking in perfect paragraph form."

Kanovitz said police prompted witnesses in their testimony, including the mother of one girl.

A spokeswoman for the Chicago corporation counsel's office, Jennifer Hoyle, said that the city was "very disappointed in the verdict."

"Witnesses testified at both the criminal trial and this civil trial that Finwall was the one responsible," Hoyle said. "To this day, (the mother of one girl) maintains that Finwall was the one who tried to abduct her daughter."

The Chicago Police Department has been beset by an array of nasty public relations setbacks in recent weeks. Seven members of a now disbanded elite unit, the special operations division, face charges that they beat and shook down civilians.

One member of the unit, which was formed to crack down on drug-dealing street gangs, is charged with plotting the murder of a fellow officer to prevent him from becoming a prosecution

Videotapes introduced in two other court cases show police apparently beating a group of businessmen in one barroom altercation and a husky off-duty officer beating a 115-pound female bartender in another instance.

cbs2chicago.com

WOW!! How/ or where do you start to fix problems like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 AM
don't read this

Send a message via AIM to rinn Send a message via Yahoo to rinn
Good... fucking corrupt cops..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't like your jerk off name, I don't like your jerk off face, I don't like your jerk off behavior, and I don't like you...... jerk off!"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Resident Redneck

Send a message via Skype™ to Biga
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinn View Post
Good... fucking corrupt cops..

Aren't they all corrupt?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Ask the Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
Aren't they all corrupt?
yea....in Iraq.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
yea....in Iraq.

Don't you mean their Government

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
I really don't believe all cops are corrupt. It is human nature to have a couple bad seeds that puts a whole society on some kind of shit list. I have alot of friends that are cops and really wish that they could do there jobs properly. It frustrates them also.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
Aren't they all corrupt?
Simply put...no. But the "good" that the 90% of the police out there do, pales vastly by comparison to the "bad" that the other 10% do. Think about it this way....A cop saves the life of a little kid. You may hear a 30 second blurb on the local news about it and thats it. Now comes a story of a crooked cop taking a bribe or (insert various crimes here) and its all aver the news for weeks as the media "covers" the investigation, the trial, etc. So much so that the national affiliate picks it up and now its BIG news.

Are there crooked cops who deserve to get caught? Damn right. But do the majority of them that bust their ass everyday and put themselves in harms way deserve to be lumped in with the rest of those asshole? Fuck no. And yeah I'm biased, because I work with police and some of my best friends are cops. But I view it in the same way as this: Is every member of the American military a rapist because of those few marines who raped that Iraqi girl? Or how about should all of our military be thought of in the same vein as those from the Abu Graib scandal?

I didnt think so. Next time dont be a sheeple and let the media make up your mind for you.

...rant off

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Resident Redneck

^ Dam, I guess my idea of a joke backfired. me ->

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
7c Forever

from my experience with cops,about 50% of them are ok, and the other 50% are either too stupid to be able to follow a simple train of thought, on an ego trip, or outright out to serve themselves.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Mr.BlackBerry

Send a message via MSN to eveR1ast Send a message via Yahoo to eveR1ast
Quote:
^ Dam, I guess my idea of a joke backfired. me ->
Not trying to pick on you Biga....I just get bothered by blind stereotypes, whether about race, sex, whatever. Its all good bro.
And Junior I cant refute your numbers with any hard facts. But You're welcome to visit my dept anytime. Maybe it because of the long accreditation process that we have to go through every few years, but the caliber of people we have here are a held to a pretty high standard. My wife works in personell and training, the dept that does the hiring and I see first hand who they let through and who the deny. I'd say at least 60-70% of applicants here get rejected. So if the officers you've been exposed to are as "stupid" as you say, maybe its the department and the governing body behind them that needs to be looked at as a cause.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
So if the officers you've been exposed to are as "stupid" as you say, maybe its the department and the governing body behind them that needs to be looked at as a cause.

JR and I just had this discussion in an other thread and that is what I think the problem is here for sure.

JR has other ideas.

Anyways I know not all cops are corrupt, and it only takes one or two to ruin the reputation of many.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
Most cops are good. I'll agree with eve on this one. In fact i would say it's less than 10% that are legally corrupt based on the studies i've read while getting my degree. What i do believe though is that cops should be held to a higher standard. If a cop does something legally corrupt they should be punished to the max imo. Those two detectives should be in jail for a LONG ASS TIME!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveR1ast View Post
maybe its the department and the governing body behind them that needs to be looked at as a cause.
I think that's exactly it. The accreditation program that they go thru really brings out the loonies.

"you catch your grandmother with 0.5g of Marijuana for medical purposes on her death bed, what do you do?"
correct answer: "BUST HER ASS AND HAUL HER CORPSE DOWN TO PRISON!!"

"you see a man with an injured person in the back of his car doing 4kph over the speed limit towards a hospital, what do you do?"
"PULL HIM OVER AND INTIMIDATE HIM FOR 45 MINUTES BEFORE GIVING HIM A TICKET!!!"

I don't think it's that the job inherintly makes people dumb, I think they're picking the wrong people for the job. In my experience it's mostly the young punks that think they're god that I have difficulty with. Could also be something about how I deal with them, I'm not a saint by any means.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I think that's exactly it. The accreditation program that they go thru really brings out the loonies.

"you catch your grandmother with 0.5g of Marijuana for medical purposes on her death bed, what do you do?"
correct answer: "BUST HER ASS AND HAUL HER CORPSE DOWN TO PRISON!!"

"you see a man with an injured person in the back of his car doing 4kph over the speed limit towards a hospital, what do you do?"
"PULL HIM OVER AND INTIMIDATE HIM FOR 45 MINUTES BEFORE GIVING HIM A TICKET!!!"

I don't think it's that the job inherintly makes people dumb, I think they're picking the wrong people for the job. In my experience it's mostly the young punks that think they're god that I have difficulty with. Could also be something about how I deal with them, I'm not a saint by any means.
haha no on both of your answers. some of the wrong people are being hired. part of the reason is that so much of society has been brainwashed into believing that you need a degree to have a lick of intelligence. some of the applicants have a great educational background but no common sense. they test well but when giving the amount of authority a cop has they are overwhelmed. some learn quikly how to behave and when to cut a break. others are just anal dumbfucks who are not only hated by the public but also by the other officers. i was always told the best cops had the ability to think and/ or act like one they just dont choose to. have you heard about the sheep, wolf and sheepdog?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM
7c Forever

yea I agree. The filtering system her sucks, good book answers are no replacement for judgement. Furthermore, it's difficult to know how someone will behave when given that kind of power.

I'm familiar with the concept of sheep, wolf and sheepdog, altho I don't see the pertinance here.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Future King of the World

Send a message via AIM to Mayo5
Chicago has always been one of the most corrupt towns historically.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
yea I agree. The filtering system her sucks, good book answers are no replacement for judgement. Furthermore, it's difficult to know how someone will behave when given that kind of power.

I'm familiar with the concept of sheep, wolf and sheepdog, altho I don't see the pertinance here.
just tha some of the cops are really sheep trying to pretend they are sheepdogs. they dont have it in them so there actions come out fucked up
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 PM
7c Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snair View Post
just tha some of the cops are really sheep trying to pretend they are sheepdogs. they dont have it in them so there actions come out fucked up
hmm, could be I guess.

seems to me more like they're the wolves, not the sheepdogs. Picking on the vulnerable in the populace 'cause they can and think it's fun. More like a wild dog than a wolf I guess. Wolf usually has the good grace to not kill what it can't eat.

HAIL TO THE KING!!

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM
FAsT BOYS

Quote:
hmm, could be I guess.

seems to me more like they're the wolves, not the sheepdogs. Picking on the vulnerable in the populace 'cause they can and think it's fun. More like a wild dog than a wolf I guess. Wolf usually has the good grace to not kill what it can't eat.
haha right. there are some who dont have a hair on their ass unless someone is cuffed or out numbered though.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
Problem is that no matter what you do you have humans as cops. Not machines. They still run on emotions, character, and temtpation. With that you'll always have some who cause problems. Only thing there should be is that when something criminal is done, premeditated, I think they should get slammed by the legal system worse then anyone else out there. They will always make illegal mistakes so cut them a break (speeding, reacting too fast, etc). In the blink of an eye they have to react so they need some leeway as nobody can make the right decision everytime so quickly. But when you can prove something happened like this case, then send them away forever as far as I care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode