Anything Goes Self explanatory forum name... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

rant on.

I posted this on my other forum, but needed to vent to my buds on SBF as well....

This thing is STILL haunting me, following me around as I have continued to dispute this to various collection agencies. I guess these outstanding debts just get sold off over time so that is why every few years a different collection agency contacts me and I have to jump through hoops again.

It isn't on my credit anymore, although it took an act of God to get it off and now with a new notice in the mail to me, I fear the consequences of it hitting my report again.

The deal: I have a collection Notice outstanding for a few phone bills which total about $1300, they are showing from Verizon but there have been several carriers listed over the years. The bills and my home of record show as being in California, from the years 1999/2000. Here is the problem, from 1996 to 2001 I was stationed in GERMANY. From then I moved to Oklahoma, and finally here in Ohio. Never once have a lived in California, clearly a case of identity theft.

I make my case known and each time the debt collectors could really care less (they aren't paid to care I guess). So now, I have to write a letter to them and provide tons of documentation (military orders, tax returns, awards, housing assignments) all which show beyond a shadow of a doubt that I lived in Germany. The issue is, will they use common sense and realize this or continue to pester me with collection notices?

Ridiculous...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Old and fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger77 View Post
I posted this on my other forum, but needed to vent to my buds on SBF as well....

This thing is STILL haunting me, following me around as I have continued to dispute this to various collection agencies. I guess these outstanding debts just get sold off over time so that is why every few years a different collection agency contacts me and I have to jump through hoops again.

It isn't on my credit anymore, although it took an act of God to get it off and now with a new notice in the mail to me, I fear the consequences of it hitting my report again.

The deal: I have a collection Notice outstanding for a few phone bills which total about $1300, they are showing from Verizon but there have been several carriers listed over the years. The bills and my home of record show as being in California, from the years 1999/2000. Here is the problem, from 1996 to 2001 I was stationed in GERMANY. From then I moved to Oklahoma, and finally here in Ohio. Never once have a lived in California, clearly a case of identity theft.

I make my case known and each time the debt collectors could really care less (they aren't paid to care I guess). So now, I have to write a letter to them and provide tons of documentation (military orders, tax returns, awards, housing assignments) all which show beyond a shadow of a doubt that I lived in Germany. The issue is, will they use common sense and realize this or continue to pester me with collection notices?

Ridiculous...
Did you ask them for a SS# verification first? If that doesn't verify, they have to remove...

If it DOES verify, then...

Just notify the three bureaus it is identity theft with a LOE (Letter of Explanation)

Contact the original creditor and if you can clear it with them, take that written documentation to each of the other collection agencies.

Steve
'11 Green Kawi ZX-10R ABS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
Did you ask them for a SS# verification first? If that doesn't verify, they have to remove...

If it DOES verify, then...

Just notify the three bureaus it is identity theft with a LOE (Letter of Explanation)

Contact the original creditor and if you can clear it with them, take that written documentation to each of the other collection agencies.
SSN Verifies

I'm working on the letters now (again). The problem is, the original (2001/02) company and account has been sold multiple times, so at this point they really could care less as long as they get their $$. :gun

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
FAsT BOYS

that sucks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
save the paperwork so it becomes easier every time

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Just steal someone else's SS#
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
Just steal someone else's SS#
can I borrow yours?

It still has yet to affect my credit score, so I'm good to go. Being proactive has its advantages. I check my credit report every month or more.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Send them the documentation and write those letters once again and tell them to take either beleive in you and take you off that list for good or to take you to court and prove it was you because there you can show it wasn't you, once for for all.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Get a blood thirsty Lawyer and they will never bug you again. That just blows, I kinda had the same thing happen, But I was 16 at the time

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
phil-osepher

Good news!

I am filing an official dispute with the collection agency, through which I will provide basically all the evidence they need to dismiss the case, but it might not come to that.

This account was a Verizon California account. So today, I went to the Verizon CA website, where the President of the West Region had a pic and little blurb to the public on the page. I took a wild guess at what his email should be, and shot a "help me" email to him. 3 hours later, I had a response from him, saying he'd work the issue. An hour later, I had a call from the executive office telling me they had the case and were looking to resolve it! Amazing what happens if you work from the top down...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Mummy Man

Send a message via MSN to gsxcorey
that's awesome...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Ass Cramp

Send a message via Yahoo to R6Flyby
Sounds like good news. Guess if you let the right people know when they are wrong things get fixed.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Master of Sergeants

Send a message via AIM to No1stunner Send a message via Yahoo to No1stunner Send a message via Skype™ to No1stunner
ive been a victem of ID Theft too ..ITS UNBELIEVABLE what it takes to fix it ,,, but uncanny how easy it is for someone else to fuck your shit up! very frustrating...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sport Bike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode